Dana Corp files for bankruptcy

Old March 9th 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Off Topic Dana Corp files for bankruptcy

I realize this as I sit trying to teach my 5 year old how to read. He
sounds out the words like he is supposed to but even then they are not
pronounced that way.

--
o_o_o_o
/| ,[_____],
|¯¯¯L --O|||||||O-
()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯¯¯ )_)
Old March 9th 06, 05:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Off Topic: A is for apple, B is.. WAS: Dana Corp files for bankruptcy

It wasn't that many centuries ago that written English was phonetic.

Back in the 1960s some then-new research showed that proficient readers
learn on their own to scan the outline shape of words instead of
individual characters. "Ah ha!" was heard from the ivory tower, "we'll
speed things up by teaching kids to `sight read' the shapes of words
instead of making them learn to read characters, then syllables, then
complete words. They'll just pick up the phonics and the foreign
loan-word variations as they go along."

Hey, guess what. We didn't. Short-cutting the learning process
resulted in kids who can read silently and quickly, but who don't
automatically sound out words. I've got a fairly large written
vocabulary but I can't correctly pronounce a distressing portion of it.
On the other hand, even with my nearsightedness I can read highway
information signs long before my traveling companions can make out the
characters, so maybe it is useful for something after all.

The bottom line is that you have to walk before you can run, and you
have to learn the rules of a language before you can understand how they
get broken. Shortcutting the process just cheats the kids.

http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 10th 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Hi Earle,
I would guess it's like memorizing all the symbols of the Japanese
written language. Which my dyslexic reversal of letters would never
compensate for.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 10th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Hi Lee,
That reminds me I still read shoe as boot. So, I was taught
starting in 1946 to recognize the shape of the word, and maybe draw a
line around the word to help, hence "shoe" looks like a boot to me and
always will.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 11th 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III proclaimed:

> Attack, for those without common sense. I cdnuolt blveiee taht I
> cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg The phaonmneal pweor of the
> hmuan mnid aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deons't
> mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng
> is taht the fsirt and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be
> a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is
> bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the
> wrod as a wlohe. Azmnaig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tohguht slpelnig was
> ipmornatt!
> God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
> http://www.billhughes.com/
>
> Lon wrote:
>
>>Whats a nuclear attract? Something that draws fat man and little boys
>>to the area?

Ahh, whatever happened to alt.best-of-usenet ?
Old March 11th 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Nuked.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Lon wrote:

> Ahh, whatever happened to alt.best-of-usenet ?

AWA [OFFER] Special offer for Dana brand IVECO 40-10 Engine Crankshaft Bearing-STD [email protected] General 0 December 10th 05 05:53 AM
Scout axle data? Stupendous Man Jeep 2 December 8th 05 02:56 AM
1992 F250 Dana 44 or Dana 50? Matt Vorne 4x4 0 October 28th 04 11:54 PM
F.S. 85 GM DANA 60, 1ton 4x4 AXLES, 4.56 gears, Detroit Locker. in NH,ME MilitaryTruckParts 4x4 8 March 20th 04 01:20 PM