Merge Beggars

Old July 25th 05, 03:06 PM
Scott en Aztlán

On 24 Jul 2005 14:03:06 -0700, "Dave" > wrote:

>> Assholes do things like use the "freeway only" lanes to bypass long
>> lines of people who are doing the right thing, and then try to force
>> their way in at the last possible moment - stopping dead and blocking
>> the lane, if necessary.

>Are you sure you didn't see this happen? That's exactly what it looked
>like they were doing.

While I didn't see this particular incident involving the Pepsi cars,
the sad truth is I see this kind of **** every time I drive.

>I assume they wanted the I-15N lanes and didn't
>want to wait in line like everyone else does.

I'm one of the few who watches for these ashholes and won't let them
get away with it. The problem is, there aren't enough people like me
and Brent on the road - most people will be "considerate" and just let
them do it. And they know it.

I had one guy try this (in Chicago, BTW). I was driving a rental car
with a CDW, so I held my ground. When I wouldn't let him in, the guy
got ****ed, floored it, and cut in from the shoulder in front of some
enabler a few cars ahead.

>> These are the same assholes who, when actually on the freeway, will
>> duck out into the acceleration lane in order to sneak ahead by a few
>> carlengths, and then stop dead with their signal on, blocking everyone
>> who is trying to exit.

>Or, if they have a large pickup, will use the grassy median as an extra
>lane. I've seen that on two different freeways in the last 6 months.
>Cops seem to take that pretty seriously if you call up with their plate
>#'s though.

They better not try that at the end of the Newport Freeway - I saw
someone get nailed for driving on the shoulder to sneak past a
mile-long backup of stopped cars. It was refreshing to see a cop write
up a violation OTHER than speeding.

Old July 25th 05, 03:12 PM
Scott en Aztlán

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:51:56 +1000, Sir Lex > wrote:

>I reckon the best way to merge onto a motorway is to come screaming
>down/up the onramp like a bat outta hell. Anyone who may have been
>contemplating deliberately moving up so as not to let me in will think
>twice...

Not only that, but it's much easier for you to bleed off speed, if
necessary, than it is for some asshole to speed up and block you.

Old July 26th 05, 03:41 AM
John David Galt

Sir Lex wrote:
> I reckon the best way to merge onto a motorway is to come screaming
> down/up the onramp like a bat outta hell. Anyone who may have been
> contemplating deliberately moving up so as not to let me in will think
> twice... It's been working that way for me for years, and I've never had
> a problem.

Good idea. Not that people on the freeway don't have the right to keep
you from taking their space -- but the guy who's pushy enough to drive
as you describe is exactly the guy I'll let in. His pushing will help
me once I'm behind him.

Of course, once in a while a guy will merge in like a bat out of hell,
but then turn into a total wuss once you let him in. In that case I
have no problem with using methods such as passing in an exit-only lane
to get your place back.