VANOS Question

Old October 1st 04, 09:06 PM
Jeff Strickland

Default VANOS Question

I have the M50 motor with VANOS. What does VANOS do, and what hazppens if it
isn't doing it right?

My engine used to have a kick similar to the feeling when the secondaries
open in a 4bbl carb. I had the head replaced and have always felt that since
then that this kick just isn't there anymore. I have also suspected that my
low-end torque just isn't there.

I thought that VANOS was an adjustment to the valve timing that helped with
the low-end torque and high speed accelleration.

My car runs fine, except for the perceived flatness in the power curve. Is
this a symptom of the VANOS system not working right?

Old October 1st 04, 09:20 PM
Fred W.

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
>I have the M50 motor with VANOS. What does VANOS do, and what hazppens if
>it
> isn't doing it right?
>
> My engine used to have a kick similar to the feeling when the secondaries
> open in a 4bbl carb. I had the head replaced and have always felt that
> since
> then that this kick just isn't there anymore. I have also suspected that
> my
> low-end torque just isn't there.
>
> I thought that VANOS was an adjustment to the valve timing that helped
> with
> the low-end torque and high speed accelleration.
>
> My car runs fine, except for the perceived flatness in the power curve. Is
> this a symptom of the VANOS system not working right?

Jeff,

Yeah what you describe as being missing could be the VANOS not working.

The way VANOS works is there is an electric solenoid that moves a valve to
either route or block the oil pressure from reaching the mechanical VANOS
advance unit. As best I can recall, when the oil pressure is routed to the
actuator it pushes the camshaft sprocket on a spiral cut gear assembly which
makes it become more advanced. So it does tend to "kick-in" like you
describe at the rpm that the DME energizes the solenoid.

You don't say what year engine you have, but with single VANOS (like I have
on my '95) it is a pretty subtle difference. You can unplug the solenoid's
connector and see if there is any perceptible difference. Obviously there
should be.

Here is a little info on VANOS:

http://www.bmwworld.com/technology/vanos.htm

-Fred W

Old October 3rd 04, 04:47 PM
CRWLR

It's a '94.

Single vs Double??? Does one control both the intake and exhaust timing at
the same time - or maybe only one of them (presumably intake) - where the
other controls intake and exhaust timing independently?

I am certain I have the single VANOS in a '94, but I wonder what the
difference is in single and double ...

Since you have given me a sanity check on what VANOS ought to be doing, I am
going to check into it closely next weekend when I do my quartly service
work. Thanks.

"Fred W." <Fred.Wills@'remove this to reply to' myrealbox.com> wrote in
message ...

Old October 4th 04, 12:01 PM
Scott M

CRWLR wrote:

> It's a '94.
>
> Single vs Double??? Does one control both the intake and exhaust timing at
> the same time - or maybe only one of them (presumably intake) - where the
> other controls intake and exhaust timing independently?

Single VANOS is inlet cam only; double VANOS, both cams. '94 is single
cam.

> Since you have given me a sanity check on what VANOS ought to be
> doing, I am going to check into it closely next weekend when I do my
> quartly service work. Thanks.

The best way to see if it's working is when accelarating in 3rd gear
with a steady throttle. At 3500 rpm it should start accelarating faster
as the VANOS unit reverts to the normal cam timing.

--
Scott

Old October 5th 04, 05:45 PM
Jeff Strickland

"Scott M" > wrote in message
> CRWLR wrote:
> >
> > It's a '94.
> >
> > Single vs Double??? Does one control both the intake and exhaust timing

at
> > the same time - or maybe only one of them (presumably intake) - where

the
> > other controls intake and exhaust timing independently?

> Single VANOS is inlet cam only; double VANOS, both cams. '94 is single
> cam.
>

> > Since you have given me a sanity check on what VANOS ought to be
> > doing, I am going to check into it closely next weekend when I do my
> > quartly service work. Thanks.

> The best way to see if it's working is when accelarating in 3rd gear
> with a steady throttle. At 3500 rpm it should start accelarating faster
> as the VANOS unit reverts to the normal cam timing.

That's the feeling of the 4bbl carb Secondaries Opening that I felt when I
bought the car, but that I think is now missing. The only analogy I can
think of is that of the secondaries on a 4bbl, I am certain the analogy is
pretty good, but not exact. Another analogy that is equally flawed is the
feeling of the turbo coming on line.

I do feel the accelleration under those conditions - 3rd gear at about 3000
RPM - get stronger, but the feeling is more like that of the power and
torque curves coming together, it is not a kick like occurs when the turbo
comes on line or the secondaries kick in on the old V8 muscle cars of yore.

S8 Report and Reliability Question LIW Audi 2 November 22nd 04 05:02 PM
Transmission fluid filter question LIW Audi 0 November 22nd 04 04:45 PM
VANOS: help!! Andrea BMW 2 September 30th 04 11:31 PM
S4 - 2004 Electrical Question Keith Viator Audi 2 September 10th 04 03:41 AM
85 5000 turbo diesel canadian version question jack Audi 1 May 21st 04 01:58 PM