1996 LH Fuel Level Sensor

Old July 25th 07, 05:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bob Shuman

Default 1996 LH Fuel Level Sensor

The fuel gauge on my son's '96 Eagle Vision TSI (3.5L, 90K miles)
occasionally loses sanity and shows "empty" when it is not. I am guessing
that this is likely caused by a dirty or defective fuel sender. The FSM
seems to show this is relatively easy to access through a cover behind the
rear seat in the trunk.

Before I open this up, I was hoping to get a few simple answers from someone
who may have already had experience with a fuel sender on this vehicle.

My questions:

1. Will I need a new access cover gasket or can the old gasket be re-used?

2. Can the fuel sender unit be cleaned/repaired or should I plan to acquire
a replacement in advance?

3. Can the fuel inlet strainer be cleaned or is it a replaceable part?

4. What other work is appropriate when the fuel sender module is removed?

Thanks in advance for all responses since I'd like to plan before executing
since at this point the intermittent fault is just an annoyance and does not
affect drivability.

Bob

Old July 25th 07, 06:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ken Weitzel

Bob Shuman wrote:
> The fuel gauge on my son's '96 Eagle Vision TSI (3.5L, 90K miles)
> occasionally loses sanity and shows "empty" when it is not. I am guessing
> that this is likely caused by a dirty or defective fuel sender. The FSM
> seems to show this is relatively easy to access through a cover behind the
> rear seat in the trunk.
>
> Before I open this up, I was hoping to get a few simple answers from someone
> who may have already had experience with a fuel sender on this vehicle.
>
> My questions:
>
> 1. Will I need a new access cover gasket or can the old gasket be re-used?
>
> 2. Can the fuel sender unit be cleaned/repaired or should I plan to acquire
> a replacement in advance?
>
> 3. Can the fuel inlet strainer be cleaned or is it a replaceable part?
>
> 4. What other work is appropriate when the fuel sender module is removed?
>
> Thanks in advance for all responses since I'd like to plan before executing
> since at this point the intermittent fault is just an annoyance and does not
> affect drivability.

Hi Bob...

Not a mechanic, just an old retired electrical guy, but for whatever
little it may be worth...

My 94 lhs was sorta like that when I got it 2 years ago... anytime the
"honest" level was below 2/3 of a tank or so it would intermittently
suddenly drop to zero, the yellow light would scare me, and the OH would
get all confused...

Didn't matter much if at all to me; wintertime trips once a week or so
of a couple of miles to the Dr, bank, grocery store, so I could hardly
run out. Summertime a few trips to the lake of 180 miles round trip,
so I couldn't run out then, either.

But the interesting part... after a few of those lengthy trips
the durned thing somehow magically fixed itself, and has been perfect
ever since.

Suggestion that your son perhaps switch gas types for a while, see
whether it might work for him too. Meanwhile, if he'll reset the
trip odometer each time he fills up, and of course knows of the
problem, he shouldn't be able to run out either

Just a suggestion.

Take care.

Ken
Old July 25th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Bob Shuman wrote:
> The fuel gauge on my son's '96 Eagle Vision TSI (3.5L, 90K miles)
> occasionally loses sanity and shows "empty" when it is not. I am guessing
> that this is likely caused by a dirty or defective fuel sender. The FSM
> seems to show this is relatively easy to access through a cover behind the
> rear seat in the trunk.
>
> Before I open this up, I was hoping to get a few simple answers from someone
> who may have already had experience with a fuel sender on this vehicle.
>
> My questions:
>
> 1. Will I need a new access cover gasket or can the old gasket be re-used?

IIRC, its reusable

> 2. Can the fuel sender unit be cleaned/repaired or should I plan to acquire
> a replacement in advance?

I hate to say anything is "not repairable" because with enough
determination you can about do anything... but.... Its bottled up pretty
tight.

> 3. Can the fuel inlet strainer be cleaned or is it a replaceable part?

Now you're taxing my memory! I think its a removable filter.

To add more info, I only opened mine up when it was time to replace the
fuel pump, and a new screen and sending unit were both part of the fuel
pump package. I honestly don't know what components can be bought
separately.

> 4. What other work is appropriate when the fuel sender module is removed?

If this were a vehicle where you have to drain the fuel and then drop
the tank, I'd say do EVERYTHING (including the fuel pump). But is really
so easy on the LH cars that you could open it up and have a look around
before buying ANY parts. Take a look and decide what you need.

Old July 26th 07, 10:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Duncan[_2_]

"Bob Shuman" > wrote in message
. net...
> The fuel gauge on my son's '96 Eagle Vision TSI (3.5L, 90K miles)
> occasionally loses sanity and shows "empty" when it is not. I am guessing
> that this is likely caused by a dirty or defective fuel sender. The FSM
> seems to show this is relatively easy to access through a cover behind the
> rear seat in the trunk.
>
> Before I open this up, I was hoping to get a few simple answers from
> someone who may have already had experience with a fuel sender on this
> vehicle.
>
> My questions:
>
> 1. Will I need a new access cover gasket or can the old gasket be re-used?
>
> 2. Can the fuel sender unit be cleaned/repaired or should I plan to
> acquire a replacement in advance?
>
> 3. Can the fuel inlet strainer be cleaned or is it a replaceable part?
>
> 4. What other work is appropriate when the fuel sender module is removed?
>
> Thanks in advance for all responses since I'd like to plan before
> executing since at this point the intermittent fault is just an annoyance
> and does not affect drivability.
>
> Bob

Check to see if you have a short in the sensor wires. ( 1 hot, 1 ground). A
good place to look is at the wire connectors right at the fuel pump. Does
the intermittent fault only happen in wet weather?; When you hit a bump?
When it's acting up, will wiggling the wires fix it?ect....
I've seen more than a few people spending $200-$300 for new fuel pumps for
various vehicles (Chevy Blazers in particular) when they only had a short in
the wire connectors.

Old July 26th 07, 11:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bob Shuman

Thanks to Steve, Ken, and Duncan for their replies. These all seem to
re-confirm that the root cause is likely the fuel sender rheostat wiper
either being dirty or not making solid mechanical contact.

I will plan to double check the connector and wiring and clean the contacts
when I remove the unit. I'll also attempt to clean the fuel strainer if
that is possible and not replace the fuel pump since this is fairly easy to
access.

I will also plan to re-use the existing gasket (which was my biggest
question since I wanted to purchase the parts in advance if they needed
replacement).

Bob