I'm baaaaack....

Old September 1st 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Default I'm baaaaack....

..... after 3,800 miles, 137.311 gallons of gasoline at a cost of
$443.81 and an average of 24.7 miles per gallon.

We were gone 11 days and didn't drive 3 of those days, 8 days were
spent getting to Missoula and then Kalispell in Montana, then Tonasket,
Washington and then home. Long trip, sore butt, tired and soooooo
happy I didn't have to get on an airplane!

Obligatory Miata content: The Miata enjoyed resting in the carport
while I was gone. No way could the Miata haul the luggage SWMBO needs
for an overnight, let alone 11 days!

PS, I think 24.7 mpg is not too bad for a 4,400 lb car with a fairly
large V8 engine cruising at 80-85 mph. Nice to know the EPA rating is
spot on...

Old September 1st 06, 04:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BK

We just got back last week from driving the Miata a little over 1800 miles
from St. Louis to Chicago to northern Wisconsin to central Illinois and back
to St. Louis. Part of the trip was to participate in the "Open Air
Classic"...a rally for 200 convertibles in northern Wisconsin, and the rest
of the trip was a stop to see the King Tut exhibit at the Field Museum in
Chicago, a stop to see a friend in southwestern Wisconsin and my
mother-in-law in southern Iowa. I don't know the cost of the gas, but we
burned roughly 60 gallon. Not bad for the combination of interstate
(70+mph) and backroads (starting and stopping). We're unpacked and the
clothes are washed, so I'm ready to go again (someplace). I think we're
home for the duration, though (except for a short trip to take in a weekend
of auto racing over Labor Day).

Old September 1st 06, 12:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws

XS11E wrote:
> .... after 3,800 miles, 137.311 gallons of gasoline at a cost of
> $443.81 and an average of 24.7 miles per gallon.
>
> We were gone 11 days and didn't drive 3 of those days, 8 days were
> spent getting to Missoula and then Kalispell in Montana, then Tonasket,
> Washington and then home. Long trip, sore butt, tired and soooooo
> happy I didn't have to get on an airplane!
>
> Obligatory Miata content: The Miata enjoyed resting in the carport
> while I was gone. No way could the Miata haul the luggage SWMBO needs
> for an overnight, let alone 11 days!
>
> PS, I think 24.7 mpg is not too bad for a 4,400 lb car with a fairly
> large V8 engine cruising at 80-85 mph. Nice to know the EPA rating is
> spot on...

I took two similar trips in my first miata, but was alone both times,
though she who I did not obey enough at that time followed me back in
her own miata on one trip.

http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/pat/gap3.jpg

I remember getting about 30 mpg and gas was something like $1.10 to
$1.30 a gallon, so the gas bill for both trips combined was lower than
your single trip now.

Speaking of gasoline, I was paying the other day and heard the clerk
tell a lady $347.00. I looked out and she had a large pickup truck
hooked to a large boat.
Yikes! I think that I will stick to paddling for a while....

Pat
Old September 1st 06, 01:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Eric Baber

> I took two similar trips in my first miata, but was alone both times,
> though she who I did not obey enough at that time followed me back in her
> own miata on one trip.

You disobeyed her so badly that she followed you several thousand miles??
Man, what did you do to her?! I take it you got away?

Eric

Old September 1st 06, 01:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws

Eric Baber wrote:

> You disobeyed her so badly that she followed you several thousand miles??

Yes.

> Man, what did you do to her?!

I take the fifth, but it was not illegal.
Hmmmm, to clarify, it was not illegal in the state that we were located
in at the time, but that may have changed in the last 5 years. ;-)

> I take it you got away?
> Eric

Well, I am still breathing, I guess so. :-)

Pat

Old September 1st 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Dana H. Myers

Default OT: Boats (was I'm baaaaack....)

pws wrote:

> Speaking of gasoline, I was paying the other day and heard the clerk
> tell a lady $347.00. I looked out and she had a large pickup truck
> hooked to a large boat.
> Yikes! I think that I will stick to paddling for a while....

Power boating is an amazingly expensive hobby. I have a friend that
was basically given full use of a moderate-sized boat with an in-board
V8, only to find he couldn't afford the gas to use it.

Dana
Old September 1st 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws

Dana H. Myers wrote:

> Power boating is an amazingly expensive hobby. I have a friend that
> was basically given full use of a moderate-sized boat with an in-board
> V8, only to find he couldn't afford the gas to use it.
>
> Dana

Kayaking and canoes can be pretty expensive too, but at least 99% of the
expense is in the initial purchase of the boat and accessories.

Plus kayaking, when properly done by using the torso for power and the
arms as levers for the paddle, is one of the best ways to keep the spare
tire gut away and is great for cardiovascular exercise.

BTW, my "kayak" has a mount for a trolling motor and battery, but ANY
motorized vehicle to be operated on public Texas waters must be
registered, regardless of power and speed. I am estimating that it will
have a top speed of about 5 mph with the motor, or about what two decent
paddlers can get it going for a while.
It is a sit on top tandem model that is much more stable than fast.
Perfect for fishing or playing from, not so great for long trips.

The point is, the registration process is complicated and there is very
little difference in price between registering my 12 foot plastic boat
with a 28 pound thrust electric trolling motor and a 30 foot
high-horsepower motorboat, so even "electric power" boating is pretty
expensive here.

Pat
Old September 1st 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Dana H. Myers

pws wrote:

> The point is, the registration process is complicated and there is very
> little difference in price between registering my 12 foot plastic boat
> with a 28 pound thrust electric trolling motor and a 30 foot
> high-horsepower motorboat, so even "electric power" boating is pretty
> expensive here.

Does it cost $300/day to operate your kayak?
Old September 1st 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws

Dana H. Myers wrote:

> Does it cost $300/day to operate your kayak?

That depends on whether or not a "stripper" has been hired to go along
and have fun for the day. :-)

Pat
Old September 1st 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
miker

Default Boats (was I'm baaaaack....)

> Power boating is an amazingly expensive hobby. I have a friend that
> was basically given full use of a moderate-sized boat with an in-board
> V8, only to find he couldn't afford the gas to use it.

Back around 1990 I had a lake home and of course wanted a boat to go with
it. So I bought a used Chriscraft Scorpian 230 (typical 350 V8 boat). I was
expecting it to be hard on gas, but as the first week went by the needle on
the fuel gauge took its time dropping, so I was thinking "Hey, not too bad".

Then I went to the pump and it cost an amazing amount to fill. As it turns
out, it had an 80 gallon tank.

miker