Overheating problem

Old August 13th 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
crispycritter

Default Overheating problem

Hi, I have a 2000 Daewoo Nubira, and it has an overheating problem. It
overheats on the freeway, after about 10-15 miles of driving at sustained
freeway speed. When exiting the freeway, the gauge creeps up another couple
of notches when I come to a full stop, then cools down to 1/2 way on the
gauge when I start back up again (never goes down to where it should be
though - half way is the coolest it gets). This is what I've done to date to
solve the problem

* Installed a new radiator
* Installed a new thermostat
* Installed a new waterpump (and while it was disassembled I also had
installed a new timing belt)
* Two separate pressure tests
* PH Balance test (whatever that is)
* Verified that no steam is venting from the exhaust pipe

I've spent 1100.00 so far, and I'm still at square one. Car still overheats.
It doesn't quite peg the temperature gauge, but it creeps up to near 2/3 to
3/4 of max after driving for 20 minutes or so.

Any suggestions would be most helpful. I've combed the 'net looking for ideas,
but everything I've read so far are things it looks like I've already had
done.

Thanks kindly,

Matt

Old August 13th 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Lefty

Is your coolant really hot? Are you losing coolant (boil over)? Gauges
are mechanical devices which may not be correct. Yours connects to a
sensor in the coolant stream. If you are not losing coolant use an IR
gun or a touch type thermometer and see how hot the coolant is. Your
cooling fans should turn on low speed at 199 degrees and go to high at
207 degrees. The PCM will shut them off at 194 degrees.

Old August 13th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim

Lefty wrote:

> Is your coolant really hot? Are you losing coolant (boil over)? Gauges
> are mechanical devices which may not be correct. Yours connects to a
> sensor in the coolant stream. If you are not losing coolant use an IR
> gun or a touch type thermometer and see how hot the coolant is. Your
> cooling fans should turn on low speed at 199 degrees and go to high at
> 207 degrees. The PCM will shut them off at 194 degrees.

I don't know this car but there may be 2 separate temp sensors - one for
the gauge sand one for the computer. So there are several items not on
his list that should be checked to see if they are working correctly.

But it seems unlikely that will be the source of the problem. If we can
assume that the OP has described the problem correctly then it seems he
can drive around all day in town (stop and go traffic) without it
overheating. That indicates that all of the sensors gauges and fans are
working as they should. It's seems oily when he drives at highway speeds
for more than 12 mins. that it overheats. The fan doesn't add much to
the cooling capacity at 65 mph.

So I would look for something that is restricting the air flow or
coolant flow at high speed. Did he forget to remove that piece of
cardboard he stuck in the grille when it was -20° last winter? Maybe the
suction side radiator hose is collapsing at high speed. Also late
ignition timing coupled with high speed can cause excess heat
generation.

-jim

Old August 13th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
crispycritter via CarKB.com

Thanks for the replies and the suggestions.

jim wrote:

> But it seems unlikely that will be the source of the problem. If we can
>assume that the OP has described the problem correctly then it seems he
>can drive around all day in town (stop and go traffic) without it
>overheating. That indicates that all of the sensors gauges and fans are
>working as they should. It's seems oily when he drives at highway speeds
>for more than 12 mins. that it overheats. The fan doesn't add much to
>the cooling capacity at 65 mph.

It's hard to demonstrate that it doesn't overheat due to excessive city
driving, because I do so little. Most is done on the freeway. But once off
the freeway, the little bit of city driving I do does cause the temp to cool
down to about half way (although still higher than what one would expect).

As for any type of obstruction, e.g. cardboard in the grille, I just bought
the car last month (from a private seller), and in that time I haven't added
any jury-rigged devices, and I haven't discovered anything that might have
been installed by the previous owner during all the tests and replacements
thus far.

Interesting note on the ignition. I'll have that checked too. Thanks.

the previous poster, thanks for the tip. No I don't seem to be losing
coolant. I'll see if I can get a temperature reading on the coolant while
it's running hot.

Old August 14th 06, 08:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ted Mittelstaedt

"crispycritter" <u25234@uwe> wrote in message news:64ae119c12d37@uwe...
> Hi, I have a 2000 Daewoo Nubira, and it has an overheating problem. It
> overheats on the freeway, after about 10-15 miles of driving at sustained
> freeway speed. When exiting the freeway, the gauge creeps up another

couple
> of notches when I come to a full stop, then cools down to 1/2 way on the
> gauge when I start back up again (never goes down to where it should be
> though - half way is the coolest it gets). This is what I've done to date

> solve the problem
>
> * Installed a new radiator
> * Installed a new thermostat
> * Installed a new waterpump (and while it was disassembled I also had
> installed a new timing belt)

Did you reverse flush the block with a garden hose or some such when
you did these replacements?

> * Two separate pressure tests
> * PH Balance test (whatever that is)
> * Verified that no steam is venting from the exhaust pipe
>
> I've spent 1100.00 so far, and I'm still at square one. Car still

overheats.

Before doing anything more you need to do a cylinder leakdown test on all
cylinders and/or check for the presense of exhaust byproducts in the
coolant,
there are test strips for this, to eliminate a failed head gasket.

I am not sure why you think a failed head gasket would always result in
steam
out of the exhaust pipe.

Ted

Old August 14th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim

"crispycritter via CarKB.com" wrote:

> Thanks for the replies and the suggestions.
>
> jim wrote:
>
> > But it seems unlikely that will be the source of the problem. If we can
> >assume that the OP has described the problem correctly then it seems he
> >can drive around all day in town (stop and go traffic) without it
> >overheating. That indicates that all of the sensors gauges and fans are
> >working as they should. It's seems oily when he drives at highway speeds
> >for more than 12 mins. that it overheats. The fan doesn't add much to
> >the cooling capacity at 65 mph.
> >

> It's hard to demonstrate that it doesn't overheat due to excessive city
> driving, because I do so little. Most is done on the freeway. But once off
> the freeway, the little bit of city driving I do does cause the temp to cool
> down to about half way (although still higher than what one would expect).

So you don't actually know that it is overheating? For all you know half
way is right where it is supposed to be. I would still be concerned a
little about it going up when driving at highway speeds, but the gauge
could be very sensitive in that temperature band so it's possible that
could be just a few degrees elevated.

-jim

Old August 15th 06, 11:49 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Joe Brophy

Have you verified that the fan is pulling the air thru the
radiator? I had a used Honda with the same symptoms and the
fan had been wired backwards, even though the connector was
keyed, someone had forced the plug together backwards. At
highway speeds the fan would counteract the air coming thru
the radiator causing it to overheat, only on the highway.
Just a thought, good luck.