93 Honda: 200,000 miles. How much for new engine install?

Old November 21st 04, 10:02 PM
MIRSE

Default 93 Honda: 200,000 miles. How much for new engine install?

My stepfather bought a 93 Honda red 2-door hatchback Civic when it was new so
his grandkids could have something to drive.

Now it has a terrible oil leak, and the only thing to do is get a new engine.

It has a little over 200,000 miles.

It has been sitting in my stepfather's driveway for around 6 months.

My stepfather said he got an estimate for around $2000 to put a new engine in
it.

I said that such an estimate is low, and I think it would be close to
$4000-$5000 range to get a good engine installed in this 93 Honda Civic 2-door
Hatchback and to get the Honda back in good working condition.

I told him that it would be a waste of money, because he could probably get a
good running used car in the $4000-$5000 range.

My question: Can my stepfather really get a good engine installed in the 92
Honda Civic Hatchback---one of those red ones I see everywhere---for around
$2000, or will it cost more in the $4000-$5000 range?

Thanks for your help.
Old November 21st 04, 10:18 PM
Dee

<< Can my stepfather really get a good engine installed in the 92 Honda
Civic Hatchback---one of those red ones I see everywhere---for around $2000

I'm guessing your stepfather could get an entire running '92 Civic Hatchback
for around $2000.

Old November 21st 04, 10:23 PM
Woody

Why do you need a new engine because of an oil leak?

Old November 21st 04, 10:23 PM
Woody

Old November 22nd 04, 01:52 AM
kyle lallave

ok u can get a D16y8 engine which is a SOHC(single over-head cam) V-tec for
about $600 that has 40,000 miles on it...that engine is very reliable and
good..altogether it will be about 1200 w/shipping and install...if u need a
website email me

Old November 22nd 04, 01:52 AM
kyle lallave

Old November 22nd 04, 01:54 AM
SoCalMike

MIRSE wrote:

> My stepfather bought a 93 Honda red 2-door hatchback Civic when it was new so
> his grandkids could have something to drive.
>
> Now it has a terrible oil leak, and the only thing to do is get a new engine.

how bads the leak, and from where?

> It has a little over 200,000 miles.

getting up there in age, but if its still got good compression and was
taken care of, it might be good for another 100k. if... of course.

> It has been sitting in my stepfather's driveway for around 6 months.
>
> My stepfather said he got an estimate for around $2000 to put a new engine in
> it.

just the engine? sure, or less. a low mileage junkyard engine would be
cheaper, or possibly a rebuild of the existing engine... new rings,
valves, seals, etc?

> I said that such an estimate is low, and I think it would be close to
> $4000-$5000 range to get a good engine installed in this 93 Honda Civic 2-door
> Hatchback and to get the Honda back in good working condition.

> I told him that it would be a waste of money, because he could probably get a
> good running used car in the $4000-$5000 range.

true, but hows the condition of the rest of the car?

> My question: Can my stepfather really get a good engine installed in the 92
> Honda Civic Hatchback---one of those red ones I see everywhere---for around
> $2000, or will it cost more in the $4000-$5000 range?

keep calling around. in los angeles, we have access to imported japanese
engines from cars that are "junked" over there. generally clean and low
mileage. i guess they dont do much driving on that island... nowhere to go?

Old November 22nd 04, 01:54 AM
SoCalMike

Old November 22nd 04, 03:45 AM
MIRSE

>Subject: 93 Honda: 200,000 miles. How much for new engine install?
>From: "kyle lallave"
>Date: 11/21/2004 7:52 PM Eastern Standard Time
>
>ok u can get a D16y8 engine which is a SOHC(single over-head cam) V-tec for
>about $600 that has 40,000 miles on it...that engine is very reliable and
>good..altogether it will be about 1200 w/shipping and install...if u need a
>website email me

******
Could you post the website here so that others who might be thinking about
replacing a Honda engine in a 93 Civic can also check out the website? Thanks.