N2003 sound problems (XP)

Old December 9th 04, 11:53 AM
Uwe Schürkamp

Default N2003 sound problems (XP)

Hi folks,

I finally bit the bullet last night and "Upgraded" to xp pro. Works ok
so far, but using my onboard ac97 sound chip in n2003 results in a
really strange engine noise in n2003. The revs don't rise audibly, it
sounds like the engine is on constant full throttle (although the
steering & pedals work ok).

No sound problems in gtr, gpl or f1c. Any ideas what could be causing
this? Mobo is an ECS K7S5A / LAN.

Cheers & tia for your comments,

uwe

--
Uwe Schuerkamp //////////////////////////// http://www.schuerkamp.de/
Herford, Germany \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ (52.0N/8.5E)
Old December 9th 04, 05:30 PM
Mitch_A

Maybe try to reduce the hardware acceleration Uwe. Better yet get a decent
soundcard :-) ECS isnt known for its high quality parts hehe.

Mitch

Old December 9th 04, 11:05 PM
Uwe Schürkamp

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 16:30:55 GMT, Mitch_A wrote:
> Maybe try to reduce the hardware acceleration Uwe. Better yet get a decent
> soundcard :-) ECS isnt known for its high quality parts hehe.
>
> Mitch

Hi Mitch,

I had an SBLive in that rig before, but it ceased to work with GPL
under XP. The onboard sound works fine with GPL, it's just N2003 and
friends that is acting up.

All the best,

uwe

Old December 10th 04, 03:44 PM
Plowboy2

Uwe,

uncheck the 3d sounds in the game, check in the control panel driver aplet,
If I am not mistaken you have some stuff you can set via the driver software
for the... the one XP installs by default were better than the 'upgrades'
there until that last one.

I have the sister board, the p4s5a-dx, at home... again, I reverted the
sound drivers many a time.. mainly because nascar would open with sound in
"quarry" ehco chamber effect, for some reason on set of drivers didnt have
anyway to kill that, but the original of the cd did, and like I said, the
ones I have now. finally the latest drivers on win-update site were good.
Havent messed in there since, but IIRC there is some speaker setting and
other things I experimented with, as I tried to have both headphones and
speakers plugged in, & to make one or the other work by changing it in the
app, plus My card had several surround setitngs too.

Uwe Schürkamp enlightened us with:

Old December 10th 04, 04:22 PM
Steve Blankenship

"Uwe Schürkamp" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 16:30:55 GMT, Mitch_A wrote:
> > Maybe try to reduce the hardware acceleration Uwe. Better yet get a

decent
> > soundcard :-) ECS isnt known for its high quality parts hehe.
> >
> > Mitch

> Hi Mitch,
>
> I had an SBLive in that rig before, but it ceased to work with GPL
> under XP. The onboard sound works fine with GPL, it's just N2003 and
> friends that is acting up.
>
> All the best,
>
> uwe

Suggest you update the AC97codec for the onboard sound chip. Had that
problem on a friend's Asus AN78X board with that chip and that sorted it.
Can't remember where I got the SW at that time, but the latest from Realtek
are at: http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/p...px?lineid=5#01.

Looks like ALC655 is what you're looking for:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/p...odelid=2003051.

GL!

Old December 10th 04, 05:01 PM
Steve Blankenship

"Steve Blankenship" > wrote in message
> "Uwe Schürkamp" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 16:30:55 GMT, Mitch_A wrote:
> > > Maybe try to reduce the hardware acceleration Uwe. Better yet get a

> decent
> > > soundcard :-) ECS isnt known for its high quality parts hehe.
> > >
> > > Mitch

> > Hi Mitch,
> >
> > I had an SBLive in that rig before, but it ceased to work with GPL
> > under XP. The onboard sound works fine with GPL, it's just N2003 and
> > friends that is acting up.
> >
> > All the best,
> >
> > uwe

> Suggest you update the AC97codec for the onboard sound chip. Had that
> problem on a friend's Asus AN78X board with that chip and that sorted it.
> Can't remember where I got the SW at that time, but the latest from

Realtek
> are at: http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/p...px?lineid=5#01.
>
> Looks like ALC655 is what you're looking for:
> http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/p...odelid=2003051.
>
> GL!

Oops, maybe wrong link - Realtek's latest A3.67 drivers are at
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&Software=True.
Might try the Codec afterwards if this one doesn't do it.

SB

Old December 11th 04, 03:22 PM
Uwe Schürkamp

Hi folks,

thanks to all who responded! I managed to "solve" my n2003 sound
problems by getting me a nice, shiny new Audigy 2 ZS (another 80Euro
update just for GTR, I had perfect sound on my sb live! before in
98se, but 98se wouldn't play nice with gtr, so I upgraded that to xp,
sound went nasty in gpl and n2003 on the sblive!, and so on... ;-)

Too bad the local stores are out of stock on 9800 Pros or they'd get
another 200 Euros from yours truly, for GTR of course ;-) What the
heck, it's xmas time.

All the best & bye for now,

uwe

Old December 11th 04, 03:24 PM
Uwe Schürkamp

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:22:11 -0500, Steve Blankenship wrote:
> Suggest you update the AC97codec for the onboard sound chip. Had that
> problem on a friend's Asus AN78X board with that chip and that sorted it.
> Can't remember where I got the SW at that time, but the latest from Realtek
> are at: http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/p...px?lineid=5#01.

Thanks Steve, I tried that bit it did not help. I also tried
installing an ASOUND PCI express (als4000 based) that I had lying
around, but to no avail, still strange engine sound in n2003. I got
myself an Audigy 2 ZS today, see my other post in this same thread.

Thanks for your help,
uwe