Sound System

Old June 9th 05, 05:35 AM
TCCdestroy

Default Sound System

Hey I am about to put a very loud, very expensive sound system in my
’98 A4 1.8T. Before I start, has anybody done this and have any
suggestions or things I should know about Audi? I am a professional
installer and I know what I am doing, but have never installed a
system like this in an Audi. So if anyone can think of anything that I
should be aware of let me know..thanks.

ps

if you are curious about what I am putting in, here is a list:

Eclipse 5423 Head Unit
Eclipse DA6213 2-channel Amp (bridged mono RMS 1100w @ 4ohms)
Boston Acoustics GT-40 4-Channel Amp (4x45w RMS @4ohms)
Eclipse SC8254 Component Set (Front)
Boston Acoustics NX-67 (Rear Coaxial)
Two Xtant 12" X-Series Subwoofers
Two 1.2 Farad Phoenix Gold Capacitors
Street Wires and Rockford Fosgate wiring all the way around.

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Audi-Sound...ict123725.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=602231
Old June 9th 05, 03:02 PM
Dano58

You may want to check out the audiworld A4 forums, there is always
discussion on sound systems there.... Do a search and you'll probably
come up with what you're looking for....

Dan D
'04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6
Central NJ USA

Old June 9th 05, 11:06 PM
Mike Whiteman

Make sure you don't short the K-line to the aftermarket head unit.

Mechanics will blow their VAGtool if you do that. A lot of wiring adapter
looms are miswired.

news:1_602231_5760a6508e2e574e22a987c65e0881e4@aut oforumz.com...

Old June 10th 05, 03:13 PM
JP Roberts

I'm sure you know this, but if you're planning to keep the original head
unit, its output impedance is not the standard 4 Ohms. I seem to remember it
was 2 Ohms.

Old June 10th 05, 04:16 PM
Mike Smith

JP Roberts wrote:
> I'm sure you know this, but if you're planning to keep the original head
> unit, its output impedance is not the standard 4 Ohms. I seem to remember it
> was 2 Ohms.

Huh? These days, any solid-state amp that costs over two bucks oughta
have an output impedance measured in tenths or even hundredths of an
ohm. If you mean that the Audi head unit is designed to drive a 2 ohm
*input* impedance, well, that's a good thing, not a bad thing, and
should pose no problem when driving 4-ohm speakers. Meanwhile, if
you're talking about the line-level output impedance, rather than the
speaker-level output, then 2 vs. 4 ohms ain't gonna mean a thing - the
input impedances of today's separate amps tend to be up in the tens of
thousands of ohms.

--
Mike Smith
Old June 10th 05, 08:48 PM
JP Roberts

Obviously talking about input impedance. In practical terms what this means
is that if you fit a pair of 4 Ohm speakers, you're only just going to get
half the desired output (read volume), which is a real pain.

Old June 10th 05, 11:00 PM
Pete

"JP Roberts" wrote

Old June 10th 05, 11:10 PM
SteveH

TCCdestroy > wrote:

> Hey I am about to put a very loud, very expensive sound system in my
> '98 A4 1.8T. Before I start, has anybody done this and have any
> suggestions or things I should know about Audi? I am a professional
> installer and I know what I am doing, but have never installed a
> system like this in an Audi. So if anyone can think of anything that I
> should be aware of let me know..thanks.

What's the point? - I'm assuming you already have the Gamma setup, in
which case it *really* isn't worth changing it.
http://www.italiancar.co.uk - Honda VFR800 - MZ ETZ300 - Golf Cabrio
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - Alfa 75 TSpark - Passat 1.8T - COSOC KOTL
Old June 10th 05, 11:24 PM
Pete

"SteveH" wrote
> What's the point? - I'm assuming you already have the Gamma setup, in
> which case it *really* isn't worth changing it.

It's not worth it to replace the crappy OEM HU and speakers??? Maybe
not for someone who only listens to AM radio, but for an average
audiophile there's a lot of room for improvement.

Pete

Old June 10th 05, 11:27 PM
SteveH

Pete > wrote:

> "SteveH" wrote
> > What's the point? - I'm assuming you already have the Gamma setup, in
> > which case it *really* isn't worth changing it.

> It's not worth it to replace the crappy OEM HU and speakers??? Maybe
> not for someone who only listens to AM radio, but for an average
> audiophile there's a lot of room for improvement.

Well, speaking as what you'd call an 'audiophile', the OEM setup in B5
chassis VAGs is pretty damned good. A car is a pretty crap environment
to listen to music, so it's not really worth spending silly amounts of
money on 'improvements'. You'll only actually get more volume, not
better quality.

http://www.italiancar.co.uk - Honda VFR800 - MZ ETZ300 - Golf Cabrio
Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark - Alfa 75 TSpark - Passat 1.8T - COSOC KOTL

YOU CAN'T DRIVE TOO SLOW Laura Bush murdered her boy friend Driving 93 April 21st 05 10:34 AM
Questions about 1999 CRV Sound System jj Honda 1 March 30th 05 05:18 AM
Infinity Sound System hachiroku Dodge 3 February 18th 05 05:31 PM
Monster Sound System? [email protected] Jeep 16 January 7th 05 03:31 PM
1990 V8 Sound system S William Mote Audi 3 November 6th 04 06:24 PM