trans swap / interchange in 88 Chev diesel

Old December 16th 04, 09:35 PM
jeff

Default trans swap / interchange in 88 Chev diesel

Hi all. I'm fairly conversant with mopar stuff, but completely
ignorant about GM so please forgive me.

My father has a '88 Chev p/u with a 6.2L diesel and the 4 speed auto
trans went south on him. My questions:

-Is this a TH700R4 trans?
-When searching for another trans, what are my interchange options?
-Will a 700 from a gas engine work? What about a 350 or 400?
-He has an old 3 speed standard (floor shift) that is in a mid '70's 1
ton. Will that work?

thanks
jr
Old December 18th 04, 02:45 AM
Ad absurdum per aspera

> -Is this a TH700R4 trans?

Yep. They introduced those in about 1983.

> -When searching for another trans, what are my interchange options?

700R4 is it unless you want to do a lot of sorting-out and perhaps some
driveshaft surgery. I would venture that you can further limit it to
the less common 30-spline variant.

It also matters whether this is a 2 or a 4 wheel drive, in terms of
whether its physical size is drop-in or requires modifying or moving
something.

> -Will a 700 from a gas engine work? What about a 350 or 400?

You might be at least preferentially limited to ones out of diesels. I
gather that they're different in shift calibration and the parts that
affect it, and have different pumps and a lot of differences internal
to the torque converter.

I've never taken a close look at how the all important throttle valve
doo-whackey is implemented on diesels.

I think the 700R4 is three or four inches longer than its three speed
predecessors.

The search comes to a halt in 1993, when the 4L60E was introduced --
same size, I think, but it needs to talk to a computer.

> -He has an old 3 speed standard (floor shift) that is in a mid '70's

1 ton. Will that work?

Might fit but you probably wouldn't be doing yourself any favors in
gas mileage on the highway. You'd also have to retrofit the whole
clutch and its pedals.

Bottom line: I'd consider rebuilding the one you've got. The
diesel-type 700R4's seem, in a cursory look, to be a fair bit more
expensive than the ones for gassers, if you were to just go out and buy
one off the shelf. You might stumble upon one in a junkyard, though
it's hard to tell what condition they're in.

Cheers,
--Joe

Old December 19th 04, 05:46 PM
Ad absurdum per aspera

Oh, yeah, and you want the larger bellhousing -- fortunately a common
item, used, I think, with all the gas V8s.

Again, I think you might want to explore the substantial performance
parts aftermarket and the couple of books available for the 700r4, or
talk to performance transmission places, regarding the unit youve got,
rather than going out and grabbing a new one that might be rather
sub-ideal for a driveline with a diesel on one end and hard work on the
other.

The hotrod community has an extensive love/hate relationship with this
box and you shouldn't have any trouble getting parts and service --
perhaps in a way that will make the new one work better and last longer
for you.

Cheers,
--Joe

diesel engines swap Flyingmonk 4x4 3 January 11th 05 07:53 AM
Dodge Dakota Diesel Swap Ted Chrysler 16 December 12th 04 03:49 AM
Diesel Swap Question Ted Azito 4x4 4 July 4th 04 03:54 PM
Toyota A-340E trans problems - possible causes outside the trans? Doc General 6 May 27th 04 03:54 PM