Air con smell/leak and wet carpet

Old June 9th 04, 09:57 PM
ILS

Default Air con smell/leak and wet carpet

Hi

Can any one help please?

I've noticed when getting in my car in the morning there is a musty smell,
which I've read might be the aircon but it's getting quite bad now. It's
like
an oily smell.

Looking around inside the car for anything that might be causing the smell
(spilt food/drinks), I found under the passenger seat was soaking wet (not
caused by spilt drink !!!)

Not been raining either, the weather in UK has been great recently so the
aircon has been on LO for the last couple of weeks.

Any ideas why the carpet should be soaked? Is it the aircon pipes and water
condensation, but why wet inside the car.

Thanks for any feedback.

Regards.

Old June 9th 04, 11:07 PM
daytripper

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 21:57:58 +0100, "ILS" > wrote:

>Hi
>
>Can any one help please?
>
>I've noticed when getting in my car in the morning there is a musty smell,
>which I've read might be the aircon but it's getting quite bad now. It's
>like
>an oily smell.
>
>Looking around inside the car for anything that might be causing the smell
>(spilt food/drinks), I found under the passenger seat was soaking wet (not
>caused by spilt drink !!!)
>
>Not been raining either, the weather in UK has been great recently so the
>aircon has been on LO for the last couple of weeks.
>
>Any ideas why the carpet should be soaked? Is it the aircon pipes and water
>condensation, but why wet inside the car.

If it is related to the air conditioning, there is a drain line running from
inside the car/under the condenser body to the outside. If it is plugged or
kinked, that could cause condensate to end up on the passenger side floor.

I wouldn't think it'd explain an oily smell though...
Old June 10th 04, 08:18 AM
ILS

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Perhaps oily was not the right description but it's a bit sharper than the
usual air-con musty smell. Perhaps it's the carpet going manky.

Thanks and Regards

Old June 11th 04, 07:06 AM
Eric Shune

your post made me look under my seat/carpets, cos like you I have been
running my aircon/climate control for a few weeks and at the beginning of
this week noticed stinky smell just after starting up.

I didn't find any water/dampness and the smell was not there last
night.....perhaps it was just the local SS stirring the pot.

er

Old June 12th 04, 11:44 AM
Chris Bartram

Eric Shune wrote:
> your post made me look under my seat/carpets, cos like you I have been
> running my aircon/climate control for a few weeks and at the beginning of
> this week noticed stinky smell just after starting up.
>
> I didn't find any water/dampness and the smell was not there last
> night.....perhaps it was just the local SS stirring the pot.
>
> er
>

> "ILS" > wrote in message
>
>>Hi
>>
>>Can any one help please?
>>
>>I've noticed when getting in my car in the morning there is a musty smell,
>>which I've read might be the aircon but it's getting quite bad now. It's
>>like
>>an oily smell.
>>
>>Looking around inside the car for anything that might be causing the smell
>>(spilt food/drinks), I found under the passenger seat was soaking wet

> (not
>
>>caused by spilt drink !!!)
>>
>>Not been raining either, the weather in UK has been great recently so the
>>aircon has been on LO for the last couple of weeks.
>>
>>Any ideas why the carpet should be soaked? Is it the aircon pipes and

> water
>
>>condensation, but why wet inside the car.
>>
>>Thanks for any feedback.
>>
>>Regards.

A smell when starting up isn't unusual- it's bacteria in the piping. You
can buy an aerosol from Halfords that will help cure that.