warped brake rotors - ongoing ?

Old April 24th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default warped brake rotors - ongoing ?

Just a posting about the historical and ongoing
warped brake rotor problem -
Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2001 -

I had "serviced" the "warped" rotors at about 15k, 30k, & 45k,
replacing them at the original 15k service visit,
grinding at the 30k, and replacing again at 45k.

At the 45k mark, I had the standard rotors replaced
with some drilled & slotted upgraded versions on the front...
Now we are at 54k, and approaching the next 15k interval at 60k.
I can almost sense the coming of the steering wheel vibration during
braking.

Has there been any consensus about the "warped" rotor problem ?
Since I'm now using a different set of rotors,
they don't seem to fit into the equation for failure...
Some of the past ideas were :
rotor material
pad material
overtightening the lug nuts with impact wrenches

Any updates or other current observations
as I approach the next rotor inspection

Old April 24th 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

just an added note ->
There was a Jeep technical service bulletin
addressing "the warped rotor problem",
that changed some parts of the braking assembly....
That TSB was "applied" on one of the early rotor service visits.
http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb_list.htm#0500302b

Old April 24th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

oops - one more web update
on the Jeep warped rotor problem...
http://www.wjjeeps.com/brakes.htm

Old April 24th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"Phil Schuman" > writes:

> Just a posting about the historical and ongoing
> warped brake rotor problem -
> Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2001 -
>
> I had "serviced" the "warped" rotors at about 15k, 30k, & 45k,
> replacing them at the original 15k service visit,
> grinding at the 30k, and replacing again at 45k.
>
> At the 45k mark, I had the standard rotors replaced
> with some drilled & slotted upgraded versions on the front...
> Now we are at 54k, and approaching the next 15k interval at 60k.
> I can almost sense the coming of the steering wheel vibration during
> braking.
>
> Has there been any consensus about the "warped" rotor problem ?
> Since I'm now using a different set of rotors,
> they don't seem to fit into the equation for failure...
> Some of the past ideas were :
> rotor material
> pad material
> overtightening the lug nuts with impact wrenches
>
> Any updates or other current observations
> as I approach the next rotor inspection

Your story sounds familiar. I sympathize and offer the following story
for commiseration purposes. I bought a new '99 Land Rover Discovery
II. I loved it for the first 40K miles.

1. At 20K miles, I had to replace the front brake pads.
2. At 30K miles, I had to replace a cracked radiator
3. At 37K miles, the starter motor died with no warning.
4. At 40K miles, I replaced all the pads.
5. At 50K miles, I replaced all the pads and rotors.
6. At 67K miles, I learned that the intake manifold was cracked

At 67,200 miles, having never taken it off-road, having never hit a
bump bigger than a speed bump, having a trade-in value $6,000 lower
than what I still owed on it, I dumped it for a new '04 Jeep TJ.

I have never been happier with a vehicle in all my life than I am with
my Jeep. The Jeep and I go off-roading at least twice a month. At 20K
miles, the protective film had barely worn off of the front rotors. At
35K miles, not one problem -- mechanical or otherwise.

I guess my LR was cursed. I've not met anyone who has had similar
problems -- at least none who'd admit to it.
Old April 24th 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

It's the calipers that were the problem and should have been
replaced under warranty: http://alldata.com/TSB/04/010418eQ.html Like:
http://www.billhughes.com/WJCaliber.jpg
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old April 24th 06, 02:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Do you use a torque wrench on your lug nuts?

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old April 24th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

It is interesting that I have never done any brake work on my twelve year
old Wrangler, other than an occasional inspection of the pad thickness and
rotor condition. There is some rotor scoring, but the pads are still pretty
thick, and the brakes perform as well as they did when new.

Earle

Old April 25th 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Just last year, I put my first set of new front
pads on my '89 YJ. I bought the car at 57,000
and it has 148,000 now. Rotors are still the
original!

Joe
'89 YJ 4.2 5spd

om...

Old April 25th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

good point, the torque issue may be the key to the problem....from
someone who had to have the rotors "ground" in less than 300000 in an
01 gc while on vacation....

Larry

Old April 25th 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Opps I met 30,000 miles...just wishful thinking about 300,000 miles....

Larry