driving in the mountains

Old April 24th 06, 04:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default driving in the mountains

I have a 99 4 door honda civic and have new all weather tires. i want
to take a trip on I-70 west (from Colorado to Utah)and was wondering if
I should be aware of any issues that I might run into. Will the car
have any issues driving up in the mountains? Thanks for any pointers
and advise.

GPN.

Old April 24th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Brake pad wear may be much higher. If you suspect your brake
pads are due for replacement soon, consider doing this
before the trip.

Some myths go around the newsgroups about whether one's
car's computer can deal with the change in oxygen levels as
the car goes higher. It can.

"GPN" > wrote

Old April 25th 06, 08:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"GPN" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a 99 4 door honda civic and have new all weather tires. i want
> to take a trip on I-70 west (from Colorado to Utah)and was wondering if
> I should be aware of any issues that I might run into.

What's the snow altitude? Now from North America and not living there yet,
I don't know if you'll run into snow. If you do, take advice from the local
authorities if you need tyre or winter tyres.

> Will the car
> have any issues driving up in the mountains?

Not if it's in good mechanical shape - that means the brakes are fine, the
engine doesn't need a service and the transmission works good.

You'll be wanting to keep the transmission (automatic or manual) in a low
ratio - same gear for going down as you would on the way up...

> Thanks for any pointers
> and advise.

Good luck and take some pretty pictures of the pass(es), eh?

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

Safe Driving is here to stay mycopilot Driving 0 February 26th 06 07:48 AM
Good driving will make the roads safer AdvDriver Driving 9 February 24th 06 05:45 AM
The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
The increasing stress of driving Alexander Rogge Driving 17 July 14th 05 05:48 AM
Driving Issues Joe P. Driving 14 January 1st 05 12:33 AM