Tips for buying new Accord EX

Old March 17th 06, 06:15 AM posted to alt.autos.honda;,rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Tips for buying new Accord EX

I will be purchasing a new Accord EX very soon and trading in my 2001
Accord EX. How do I go about getting the best price on the new car.
Also, how do I get the best price on my trade in? Thanks.
Old March 17th 06, 06:17 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

Keep the 2001. Drive it into the ground. This will give you
by far the greatest bang for the buck.

"Enrique Gonzales" > wrote

Old March 17th 06, 01:52 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

Any honda well maintained and not driven abusively should be able to
put 200K on the clock without any major repairs. If you must have a
new ride - sell the old one yourself and wait till the end of the model
year - August is the best month if you are not looking for an unusual
model combo to get the best deal.

To me a dealership is a high crime zone - always make a show of hanging
on to my wallet when walking through those places - those who must get
a new car to satisfy some sort of need is something I will never fall
for. In the past 10 years there have been precious few real advances
in autos - there are so many other neat things to do with your money
then feed some nasty stealer/dealer.

Old March 17th 06, 11:14 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

butch burton wrote:
..

> To me a dealership is a high crime zone -

All good suggestions, but the guy asked for tips for BUYING, not
AVOIDING -- so be sure to be fore-armed with information, and shop
around for a few quotes.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...&btnG=Sea rch

Sell your old car yourself. OR, get the best possible deal on the new
model, and THEN introduce the possibility of a trade-in. That's the
only way to get an honest price on the trade-in alone.

Do NOT shop without some paperwork with figures. Know the invoice &
msrp on every possible model you're looking for. $500 over invoice is
acceptable, and there will be a doc fee -- typically around 70 bucks.
That much is normal. Anything beyond that is your call, but I'd call it
excessive. I don't begrudge a dealer a profit, but too much is too much.

Beware of added 'extras' the dealer throws on, like pinstripes for $220
or splash guards for $250.
Old March 18th 06, 02:47 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

"Elle" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Keep the 2001. Drive it into the ground. This will give you by far the
> greatest bang for the buck.
>
> "Enrique Gonzales" > wrote
>>I will be purchasing a new Accord EX very soon and trading in my 2001
>> Accord EX. How do I go about getting the best price on the new car.
>> Also, how do I get the best price on my trade in? Thanks.

best suggestion I can say is know your numbers, know your credit (if you
plan to finance) and know what others are paying (check local newsgroups
such as this one to see prices paid) also trading in USUALLY isn't the best
way to go (although if you do trade in bring it up after you get the price
of the car where you want it. most dealers will take kbb's price at "fair"
condition (doesn't matter fi you car is in mint condition, they usually
won't pay above fair)
also, trading in can have tax advantages in some states (in RI where I
live, if I buy a 30,000 dollar car, and my trade in is 10,000, I'm only
taxed on the remaining 20,000, not the full 30,000). see if your state has a
similiar policy, and if so, crunch the numbers and see if it makes sense. if
not, best bet is to sell it yourself. (my maxima I got "offers" of 9,000 and
10,000 from dealers, I sold it myself for 13,500 in about a week or so
simply putting it up on autotrader.com which was around 50 dollars)

as far as negociating goes, I just contacted 2 dealers on teh net, and got
prices, then went to one talked them down and left. Called the other and
talked him down and then went to the first dealer, told them the price I had
gotten and they beat it. was pretty pain free (about as pain free buying a
new car can be anyway). just make sure you get quotes in OTD (out the door)
prices. one dealer could easily be a few hundred below the other, but then
make it up in dealer fees and other fees. and get your quotes in writing!.
good luck to ya, hope some of this helped

-Nick

Old March 18th 06, 03:31 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

www.edmunds.com and www.kbb.com to educate yourself on pricing.

Contact dealers via their web site and tell them what you want and wait for
best price. Wait a few more days without responding to see if they come
down more.

Sell your tradein privately.

Old March 18th 06, 06:12 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

sell it privately and ask your dealer to do a convenience deal.I have done
this a few times.That way there on paper yours is a trade-in,and the dealer
sells it there on the spot to the buyer who you found,on a as-is basis.You
save a lot on taxes that way.
ink.net...

Old March 18th 06, 08:09 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

don't take the word of the special "internet only" sales people at the
brick and mortar dealership that they are giving you a good price.
Everytime I have tried this, they have given me a worse price than just
the casual price quote I got in person in two minutes. (I always start
my shoping by just picking up a brochure in the dealership, people there
almost insist that you let them give you a price even though they know
you just want to go over some catalogs).

Know your numbers, know exactly what options you want, figure out
exactly what you want to pay then say the magic words, "you can sell
this car right now for $$$$$" In fact don't even go to the dealership.
I staple the guy's card to the brochure right in front of them and
unless he/she has been very rude I always call them back and make an
offer. If they try to tell you your price is unreasonable, politely
thank them and say good bye. If they try to engage you longer tell them
that $$$ price is going to be offered to the other Honda shop (say the
name). Remember you have all the time in the world.

Now, in the above, you need to buy without a tradand the price does have
to be realistic. I would think 2% over invoice or $500 whichever is
greater would be in the ballpark as someone said. Find the invoce a t
KBB.com

As far as a trade in, it's a pain to deal with. But if you must, just
ask for the price both ways outright and with a trade. It wont be any
better but at least yo will then know iexactly what they are valuing
your car at. By the way, the best deal in the world can be the worst
if they nail you on the finance charges. If financing go get pre
approved at your credit bureau, their rates are usually cheaper and the
teaser rates at the dealer can usually be substitued for a cash
allowance although we are talking Hondas and i don't recall seeing any
subsidized interest rates in the papers.

Working the trade in, the only thing you can do is take the car to
several dealerships and ask for a price on exactly the same deal, IE the
same new car with the same options. I have never gotton a good trade in
offer at the dealer yet.

And if you do sell your car privately, be realistic when you set the
price. You are not a dealer, you didn';t recondition it and you don';t
warranty it, so unless it is an amazing vehicle you should be asking
somewhere around trade in value.

One last tip, you must pay the freight charge, no one discounts it and
make sure iti s included in the price, ie, the quote should be for the
"full delivered price". Also, very important make sure any "document
fees" are included. in MA Herb Chambers loves to give you a price and
then later tack on a $200 document fee. In RI the document fee was
limited to $25. by law (I think they accidentally let it expire,
though).

I HATE BUYING CARS.

best of luck. let us know how it works out.

Old March 18th 06, 11:09 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

Do you live in a small town? I cannot imagine any of the dealers in the
Raleigh, NC area doing a convenience deal like that.

Old March 19th 06, 05:07 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda

Keep the 01 Accord - that was the last normal looking sedan Honda
build; new Accords and Civics are fugly! I had 00 Accord which I sold
myself for asking price (above KBB) within few hours on inserting a
free classified on internet. I doubt new Accords holds their value as
good.