Lights out

Old January 6th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Lights out

I have a '98 Sahara and the other night my dash lights went out. No
biggie, I figured just a fuse. Next night got stopped by a cop to
inform me my tail lights and brake lights were out as well. Checked the
fuses and they looked okay... any thoughts? Is this a DIY or am I going
to have to get a shop to fix?

Thanks in advance - DM

Old January 6th 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I would start checking all of the frame ground points.

Good Luck!
Jim Smith

oups.com...

Old January 6th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Personally I'd lead to a bad switch or relay.

As someone else mentioned though... 'those damned earths!'

oups.com...

Old January 6th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Wow, prompt responses! Yeah after posting I remembered newsgroup
etiquette - search the backlog first (apologies - it's been a while
since I newsgrouped). Found some of the same suggestions.

Thanks all - I'll check those grounds. Sounds like the switch is a pain
so here's hoping it's not that.

Old January 6th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Got to be the fuse or it's connection, too much of a coincidence to
be anything else.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 6th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

With Brake Lights not working too, I don't think it will be a switch or
relay.

Just my opinion!
Jim Smith

Old January 6th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Check the fuses in the power dist box under the hood as well as those behind
the glovebox.

Old January 6th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

What about the signals and emergency flashers?

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old January 6th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

It won't be the light switch, the brake lights don't go through there.
You've either lost the power going to those circuits or you've lost the
ground return from them.

Do your parking and marker lights in front work? If they do you know
you've got power going to the light switch. Headlight power also goes
through the light switch but has a different power feed, so don't be
mislead by that.

Or, all of your tail lamp filaments gave up in the same week. Pull `em
and meter them to be sure. While you've got the housings apart check
for continuity from the lamp sockets to ground.

Let us know how you make out.

Old January 7th 06, 05:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

The tail lights and dash lights are the same circut, but the brake
lights are not. I have had the same problem, I ended up replacing the
fuse with a circut breaker I got at NAPA Auto, it looks just like a
fuse but its a circut breaker that ossilates until it locks the circut
closed. If your brake lights are also out its a grounding issue, I
have also had that problem and had to take each light apart and clean
all the connections, I even had to add a grounding strap to the
headlights.....so far so good.