I have following problems with my bus:

Old November 22nd 04, 12:37 PM
Busahaulic

"Bart Bervoets" > wrote in message
> Bus, 1973 bay window camper, initial problem was hard
> starting in the morning and unstable running.
> Purchased a brand new Brazilian 31pict carb, solved the
> cold start and runs smooth now.
> Timing is right.
> If you drive the bus for 100km, the bus will not restart
> when you stop the engine, starter will not crank fast
> enough.
> However, if you wait for 30 min, the bus starts fine.
> Heatlocking?
> I had my distributor rebushed and new points, rotor, cap
> and condenser installed.
> I cannot find a reason for it to do this, but be aware the
> african climate i am in is very hot.
> Suggestions?
>
> Bart Bervoets

How's the compression? When you say the starter will not crank fast enough,
it reminds me of when I had bad head cracks /dropped valve seat - when
cold, the cracks were small and there was enough compression to start the
engine. When hot, it had to be going pretty fast to bump start it. Same type
of scenario I suppose for too-tight valve clearances - when cold, it's fine;
when hot, valves not seating properly. Mine ran fine at higher speeds,
wouldn't idle well when hot. I hope it's not the problem you're having, but
if it isn't anything else... When you try starting it when hot, does it
show signs of overly rich fuel mixture such as black smoke? If you don't
pump the throttle pedal but hold it down to the floorboard steady and crank
the engine over (allowing maximum air in) will it start that way? -Bah