Tool question

Old July 12th 05, 12:26 PM
John Carrier

SNIP

> I have never managed to break a Craftsman tool, but the one that did break
> at our house was replaced, no questions asked. I don't remember what
> happened to the tool, but my instinct is that a rachet handle was being
> used
> as a hammer and simply couldn't take the abuse anymore.
>
> If you can get Craftsman, you are getting about as good as you can get.
> You
> said your uncle is an inside track to SnapOn, I wouldn't hesitate to work
> him over for your additions to the collection. I have never seen a SnapOn
> tool that I wouldn't want to own, with the exception of the snap on tool
> that Billie Jean King uses.

I've had poor luck with Craftsman standard ratchet wrenches, the pawls start
slipping. The new top of the line are all-metal and seem to be much better
made ... actually, all their "professional" stuff seems to be of higher
quality.

The quality of their standard wrenches went down in the 80's (comparing two
sets). Current sockets are pretty nice and use an improved slope-shoulder
design to grip the bolt/nut head.

Can't beat them for price/performance although the new stuff from Stanley
looks pretty competitive. "Free" replacements are often remanufactured.
Snap-on are beautiful, but very expensive (they're more expensive than the
imported Facom in the states) and they have the best selection of specialty
tools going.

R / John

Old July 12th 05, 12:41 PM
Peter Bozz

Trey wrote:
> I am working on filling in my tool collection with some nice, high end (high
> quality) tools. I have found Wiha for most of the precision hand tools.
> However, I am having trouble locating a German company that makes socket
> sets and wrenches. A friend of mine told me there was an Italian company
> that makes socket sets, but he did not know the name.
> Does anyone know of such companies/products?

GEDORE is a pretty well-known German maker of high end tools.
Old July 12th 05, 07:20 PM
Jeff Strickland

"John Carrier" > wrote in message

> SNIP
>
>> I have never managed to break a Craftsman tool, but the one that did
>> break
>> at our house was replaced, no questions asked. I don't remember what
>> happened to the tool, but my instinct is that a rachet handle was being
>> used
>> as a hammer and simply couldn't take the abuse anymore.
>>
>> If you can get Craftsman, you are getting about as good as you can get.
>> You
>> said your uncle is an inside track to SnapOn, I wouldn't hesitate to work
>> him over for your additions to the collection. I have never seen a SnapOn
>> tool that I wouldn't want to own, with the exception of the snap on tool
>> that Billie Jean King uses.

> I've had poor luck with Craftsman standard ratchet wrenches, the pawls
> start slipping. The new top of the line are all-metal and seem to be much
> better made ... actually, all their "professional" stuff seems to be of
> higher quality.

I have fixed any slippage that I have experienced with a drop or two of 3in1
oil. I'd agree though, the professional quality is much better.

Old July 12th 05, 07:42 PM
bfd

Dave states:

<Funnily, Snap On is the snob make in the UK. Very over priced - but
they
do good credit terms and discount as they direct sell to the garage
trade
so keep their customers that way. >

That's interesting. With the dollar taking a "pounding" (sorry,
couldn't resist) from the UK Pound, you would think Snap-On tools would
be "cheap" or at least more affordable than euro tools like Facom,
which is very expensive in the US.

I have a friend who has access to Snap-on industrial pricing and can
get from 48-50% off list. Even at that pricing, I still find Snap-on
tools to be too expensive and have bought only a few things.

The key here is Trey has an "uncle" who supposedly works for Snap-on.
If this is true, he should get at least the pricing I've gotten and be
able to finish "filling his tool collection".

Old July 12th 05, 10:19 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com>,
bfd > wrote:
> > Funnily, Snap On is the snob make in the UK. Very over priced - but
> > they do good credit terms and discount as they direct sell to the
> > garage trade so keep their customers that way.

> That's interesting. With the dollar taking a "pounding" (sorry,
> couldn't resist) from the UK Pound, you would think Snap-On tools would
> be "cheap" or at least more affordable than euro tools like Facom,
> which is very expensive in the US.

No matter what the dollar does against the pound, US products are always
expensive in the UK. Probably the importers taking advantage.

A 20,000 dollar US made car is likely to cost 25,000 plus GBP.

BMWs also are cheaper in the US than the UK despite the extra freight
costs. For example, a 545 SE auto costs 45,820 gbp.

--
*I wish the buck stopped here. I could use a few.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old July 13th 05, 12:44 AM
JRE

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

>No matter what the dollar does against the pound, US products are always
>expensive in the UK. Probably the importers taking advantage.
>
>A 20,000 dollar US made car is likely to cost 25,000 plus GBP.
>
>BMWs also are cheaper in the US than the UK despite the extra freight
>costs. For example, a 545 SE auto costs 45,820 gbp.

My friends in the UK complain about the same thing. But what I found
really surprising was the low cost (and incredible range of optional
selection) of BMWs in Germany about 5 years ago. Sub-USD $20K E46 320i
, anyone? (OK, that's from memory and it's a stripper with no DSC, ABS,
etc. But still!)

JRE
Old July 13th 05, 06:11 PM
bfd

That's where the real "bargain" is. For the US market, BMWNA loads up
its cars so that only the top-end, fully loaded versions with leather,
wood, heated seats and any other amenity that is available. Remember,
in the US, BMW has an imagine that must be maintained. Of course, with
that louszy idrive, overly complex NAV and weird styling, that imagine
is slowly changing,... for the worse! I do like the fact that you can
get the E90 3 Series WITHOUT idrive and NAV. That's a good step!

In other markets, you can get options like NO sunroof, clothe seats,
roll up windows. Add in small engines, not available in the US due to
emission concerns and well, you can find a $20K or less E46.

Old July 13th 05, 06:23 PM
Trey

"bfd" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> That's where the real "bargain" is. For the US market, BMWNA loads up
> its cars so that only the top-end, fully loaded versions with leather,
> wood, heated seats and any other amenity that is available. Remember,
> in the US, BMW has an imagine that must be maintained. Of course, with
> that louszy idrive, overly complex NAV and weird styling, that imagine
> is slowly changing,... for the worse! I do like the fact that you can
> get the E90 3 Series WITHOUT idrive and NAV. That's a good step!
>
> In other markets, you can get options like NO sunroof, clothe seats,
> roll up windows. Add in small engines, not available in the US due to
> emission concerns and well, you can find a $20K or less E46.

A Diesel BMW with cloth seats and manual AC (non-auto-climate control) would
be nice, but they are aiming for exclusivity in the US market. Just like
Mercedes. For some reason, they do not want the US to know they make
commercial trucks or busses! the 'Dodge' Sprinter, and the Freightliner
Unimog are two examples of this.

Question. When your in Germany, England... anywhere outside the US... what
is "the common car"? Here in California, you cant even count the number of
Toyotas and Hondas. The are everywhere, and they are cheap.

Old July 13th 05, 06:32 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Trey > wrote:
> Question. When your in Germany, England... anywhere outside the US...
> what is "the common car"? Here in California, you cant even count the
> number of Toyotas and Hondas. The are everywhere, and they are cheap.

The 3 Series has out sold the Ford Mondeo here in the UK in couple of
years.

--
* I like you. You remind me of when I was young and stupid

Old July 13th 05, 06:57 PM
bfd

As are HEYCO and HAZET!