Headliner Padding (was headliner padding substitutes)

Old July 12th 05, 02:15 PM
Spike

Default Headliner Padding (was headliner padding substitutes)

Hi,

Following getting something suitable for this, I have started cutting peices
to match the old bits I'd kept.

However I don't have all of the old bits as some were rotten, so I really
need to check a couple of bits.

My car is a 1968 RHD 1500cc Type1.

I have the padding that goes up the B pillars and the bit that runs from the
top of the B pillar above the rear side windows towards the back of the car.

Can anyone say if there supposed to be padding;

All around the rear window?
Underneath the side windows?
Above the front windscreen?

This is a bit like a jigsaw puzzle, as lots of my old bits of padding
disintergrated when I removed them 3 (oh maybe 4!) years ago. Wish I'd taken
more pictures then!

Thanks

Spike
www.soccer-stuff.net

Old July 12th 05, 03:52 PM
Gaz Pike

From memory, all around rear window, below side windows (thin) and only down
centre of roof in the middle from the back of the mirror. I don't think VW
put it up to the edge of the roof at the front, but I did and it looked ok.
Of course, if I'm wrong someone will tell you so.
It was a 1968 RHD 1500 I did too.

Gaz

Old July 12th 05, 05:44 PM
Spike

Thanks Gaz,

Can I just clarify...

"only down centre of roof in the middle from the back of the mirror"

Are you saying there was a small bit behind the mirror mount? or that one
bit runs horizontally along top of windscreen, stopping short matching the
full length of the headliner there.

Thanks
Spike.
www.soccer-suff.net

Old July 12th 05, 11:48 PM
Gaz Pike

The bit behind the mirror is a long way from the headliner due to the shape
of the roof, so it won't make any contact anyway. There is, I think a thin
strip down each side of the roof on those curved pieces that run down each
side above the door and side windows. It was a few years back, so it is all
from a vague memory.

Gaz

Old July 13th 05, 12:06 AM
Spike

Ahh I see what you mean now.

So absolutely nothing above the windscreen.

Padding seems to be concentrated along the sides, the B pillars and around
the rear window.

Cheers

Spike.

www.soccer-stuff.net

Old July 13th 05, 05:14 AM
AXL

yeah, try for a later sun_bug roof, its even harder!!!!!!!!

Old July 13th 05, 12:42 PM
Spike

With the weather like it is at the moment here, it'd be nice, but given the
extra difficulty I think I still might give that a pass.