loss of electrical power

Old June 14th 05, 05:21 AM
c130andy

Default loss of electrical power

i hope some one can help.
i have a 95 jeep sport.
and for some reason when i am driving the car loses all electrical power
and stops.
i have to put in to park and car starts right up.
this happens once a week at least.
any help
please
andy

Old June 14th 05, 06:12 AM
Stephen Cowell

"c130andy" > wrote in message =
lkaboutautos.com...
> i hope some one can help.
> i have a 95 jeep sport.
> and for some reason when i am driving the car loses all electrical =

power
> and stops.
> i have to put in to park and car starts right up.
> this happens once a week at least.
> any help
> please
> andy

****ed off any witch-doctors lately?

Let's clear some stuff up... you say
'loses all electrical power'... then you
say 'i have to put it in to park and car starts
right up'...=20

At what point does the electricity come
back up? Or does the engine just quit,
but the radio keeps playing?

I had a car do this... the ground for the
computer was bad. Do you ever drive
on salted roads? Check the big ground
strap from the block to the firewall...
Good luck!
__
Steve
..

Old June 14th 05, 06:53 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Ninety nine percent of the time that's the Crankshaft Position
Sensor giving up:
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cheroke...tdcsensor.html
If your just seeing the engine warning lights light up when the engine
dies.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 16th 05, 03:29 AM
c130andy

thanks for reply.
when it stops radio goes off no electrical power at all all.
i think maybe alarm system it is original when i got car in 95.
as soon as i turn key it stars up like nothing was wrong at all.
thanks andy
if you have any ideals plz e-mail me

Old June 16th 05, 04:21 AM
Stephen Cowell

"c130andy" > wrote in message =
lkaboutautos.com...
> thanks for reply.
> when it stops radio goes off no electrical power at all all.
> i think maybe alarm system it is original when i got car in 95.
> as soon as i turn key it stars up like nothing was wrong at all.

Then there is a big relay to immobilize the vehicle... this
part is failing. Find it and shunt it with a BF wire... this
would fix your problem. You might be able to simply
move one wire from one terminal to another, to bypass
the dismobilizer... maybe not. Anyway, I'm betting
that you'll either find it quickly, or have to pay someone
that knows what they're doing.... job security for techies
like me!
__
Steve
..

Old June 25th 05, 04:55 PM
c130andy

my jeep start up ok no problem like that.
here are my problems.
1-while i am driveing my car just loses all power.
i have to put in park and it start s up again no problem
2-if i go away for a couple of days. my car will not start --i need a
boost
3-alarm goes off ever once in a while.
4-over head interier lite goes on ever once in a while.
i have original alarm system since 95.
i must have a short some place.
i was thinking of getting alarm taken out.
help
andy

Old June 25th 05, 04:59 PM
c130andy

stephen -you want a job.
come to whitestone ny .
to fix my car.
i am going to tell my mech about it.
i am even think of takeing car into the jeep dealership.
maybe their mech knows more.
thanks for all the help
andy
ps i will keep you informed

Old June 25th 05, 05:02 PM
DougW

c130andy did pass the time by typing:
> my jeep start up ok no problem like that.
> here are my problems.
> 1-while i am driveing my car just loses all power.
> i have to put in park and it start s up again no problem
> 2-if i go away for a couple of days. my car will not start --i need a
> boost
> 3-alarm goes off ever once in a while.
> 4-over head interier lite goes on ever once in a while.
> i have original alarm system since 95.
> i must have a short some place.
> i was thinking of getting alarm taken out.
> help
> andy

Some general things to look at but first it would
help if you gave this group the following info.

Make, Year, Model, Engine

How old is your battery?
Have you checked the battery cables and cleaned the connections?
Have you checkied the ground strap between the engine block and frame?

Overhead lights going on is unusual unless one of the door pins are
failing. Without any more info I'd suspect a failing battery.
Places like PepBoys, Autozone, Canadian Tire, etc can test your battery.

--
DougW