AUDI A4 2.4 SE V6 Avant. Red Indicator Panel in Centre of Instrument Panel

Old May 20th 05, 08:11 PM
ALAN MATTHEWS via CarKB.com

Default AUDI A4 2.4 SE V6 Avant. Red Indicator Panel in Centre of Instrument Panel

This panel which shows outside temperature, fuel consumpton, which gear I
am in etc. is OK when cold, but after a short time, or if conditions are
warm, becomes very dim.

The local agent just says "new instrument panel sir" !!! £ £ £

So has anyone had a simular problem and if so is there a fix please.

I am an electronic Engineer so can change componants (within reason) on
Printed boards, mend tracks etc.

If I have to take out the instrument panel, which means removing the
steering wheel, what do I have to do about the air bag, and if it has to be
disabled how is this done please.

Old May 20th 05, 10:01 PM
Ted Eboy

"ALAN MATTHEWS via CarKB.com" > wrote in message
> This panel which shows outside temperature, fuel consumpton, which gear I
> am in etc. is OK when cold, but after a short time, or if conditions are
> warm, becomes very dim.
>
> The local agent just says "new instrument panel sir" !!! £ £ £
>
> So has anyone had a simular problem and if so is there a fix please.
>
> I am an electronic Engineer so can change componants (within reason) on
> Printed boards, mend tracks etc.
>
> If I have to take out the instrument panel, which means removing the
> steering wheel, what do I have to do about the air bag, and if it has to
> be
> disabled how is this done please.

me same car and mine is just starting to go as well. OK when cold dimming
when warm. Haven't researched a replacement yet...............its timing
belt replacement and new tyres time so funds heading in that direction.

Old May 20th 05, 11:14 PM
Peter Bell

In message >
"ALAN MATTHEWS via CarKB.com" > wrote:

> If I have to take out the instrument panel, which means removing the
> steering wheel,...

Are you sure? The panel can be removed without touching the steering
wheel on an A6.

Old May 22nd 05, 04:28 PM
ALAN MATTHEWS via CarKB.com

This is Alan Matthews again. Have looked on Bently Publishers Audi
discussion group and found that this is a fairly common fault.

See :- http://tech.bentleypublishers.com where if you do a search under
"instrument display" there are messages from a few other sufferers - but no
fixes - (this is mostly from USA).

However I would like to find out firstly how the red light is produced eg.
LED, or bulb and if it is this that goes dim which I might be able to fix,
or if the fault is the actual Liquid Crystal unit which I can not fix !!!

Does anybody have a failed or scrap instrument panel they could send me (I
will pay postage etc.) so that I can have a play without risking the unit
in my car ?

Thanks for the help so far

Alan Matthews (Matty)

How much is a new instrument panel by the way

Old June 6th 05, 12:00 AM
vls

Can't help with the fix, but my '01 A6 started doing the exact same
thing. Odometer and horizontal separator lines remain bright, but the
center displays are almost unreadable when hot. Mine is under the
certified pre-owned warranty, so I might get it fixed if all it costs
me is the $50 deductible.

On Fri, 20 May 2005 19:11:50 GMT, "ALAN MATTHEWS via CarKB.com"