Relay for MkII Golf GTI 1990

Old May 18th 05, 04:36 PM
Robbie

Default Relay for MkII Golf GTI 1990

Hello, I have a GOLF GTI MKII 1990, the electrical systems seems to be
having problems, the Rev counter ,fog lights, rear wiper and computer
selector don't work (the clock on the multifunction display works fine).
No fuses are blown in the main fuse box, however I'm unable to locate a
relay that would cover all that lot.The picture of the relays in the Haynes
manual isn't the one I have. Can anybody help please !

Old May 18th 05, 07:02 PM
Jon B

Robbie > wrote:

> Hello, I have a GOLF GTI MKII 1990, the electrical systems seems to be
> having problems, the Rev counter ,fog lights, rear wiper and computer
> selector don't work (the clock on the multifunction display works fine).
> No fuses are blown in the main fuse box, however I'm unable to locate a
> relay that would cover all that lot.The picture of the relays in the Haynes
> manual isn't the one I have. Can anybody help please !

I suspect you may be suffering seperate faults, the MFA selector is
unrelated to any of the other faults (except maybe the rev counter), the
earlier Motometer guager are prone for rev counter failer [1], if it was
relay related I would expect not just the rear wiper to go but all
wipers, therefore I think the stalk has failed which would cover the
rear wiper and MFA selector [4]. Now when you say fogs do you mean front
or rear?? AFAIK except maybe front fogs there is no relay for the fogs
on a golf [2], I lost my rears a few years ago and unfortunately after
much prodding, burning a wire out trying to fix it etc I gave up bodged
a temp wire from front to back of car, got it through the MoT next day
[3] then dropped it in at the auto elecs the following week and got the
burnt out wire and the rear fogs properly rewired.

Hope this helps

[1] winces as that is what is outside in my car
[2] There isn't a relay on much to be honest, there is the X-relay which
gives power to headlights, fans, wipers allsorts but when that goes you
know about it, fuel pump, again you'd know about that, and the wipers,
but as your front one works I think we can safely rule that one out.
[3] Next day being the 30th and the day the tax expired so not a lot of
choice as sparkies couldn't look till following week...
[4] PS when (if) you replace the wiper stalk don't forget to remove the
little piece of white plastic that stops you using intermittant wipers
on lower spec cars which is what the prev owner of my car did and I
didn't realise so when I fitted a new one I didn't know I could have
saved some money by just removing the old stalks and that little clip.
Ho hum.
--
Jon B
real email to usenet at jonbradbury dot com
Old May 18th 05, 07:59 PM
Robbie

Thanks for your reply,
after speaking to my wife it seems that the rev counter stoped working
before , the MFA selector/ rear wipe stoped working.
Oh and its the front fogs that dont work.

Thanks very much indeed again.

news:1gwrtqt.1jy8kxn9hj8x2N%black.hole@jonbradbury .com...

Old May 19th 05, 12:24 AM
Dave Hall

Rear wipers could be the wiring where it flexes with the tailgate moving. Does
it try to wipe or nothing at all?
There are two wires - one starts it, the other parks it. There may be an earth
(brown) joining the tailgate to the body as well.

--
Dave.
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club

Old May 19th 05, 11:06 AM
Jon B

Robbie > wrote:

> Thanks for your reply,
> after speaking to my wife it seems that the rev counter stoped working
> before , the MFA selector/ rear wipe stoped working.
> Oh and its the front fogs that dont work.

There may be a relay for those and if so I think it is the last one on
right but don't quote me as I haven't got front fogs but a hole in the
relay panel (and I'm quoting without going for a look)