96 grand cherokee abs light

Old May 6th 05, 09:57 PM
rufus t

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in
:

> "rufus t" > wrote in message
>> "nunya" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>> > in line 6 2wd. 205k miles.automatic, its green.
>> >
>> > this has been the best purchase of my life (save for the mail-order
>> > bride) but I've got a couple of
>> > "dumb guy" questions.
>> >
>> > 1) a month ago, I was towed, (no mech. problem, lets just leave it
>> > at that,ok?) and my ABS light came on when I picked the car up. no
>> > codes, just the light. In the course of normal operation, I've done
>> > the 50 start cycles, but the light is still on. Do I need to use
>> > some ranger rick secret de-coder ring? or do I have to do the
>> > chickens sacrifice again?
>> >
>> > 2) a "starting" problem.
>> > when I first crank, it will not start. I have to crank for 5-10
>> > seconds, then recrank, and it will start right up, no worries.
>> > This happens when hot, cold, over night, after a 10 minute, or 2
>> > hour drive. It is independant of weather, temp, or operational
>> > conditions.
>> >
>> > as an aside, I get 17-19 mpg city, 22-24 hwy on regular. I change
>> > oil every 3-4k, carries 20lbs of pressure, all in all, a great
>> > vehicle.
>> >
>> > "A car is like a woman. If you give them what they need before they
>> > know they need it, they won't leave you by the side of the road"
>> >
>> > thanks.
>> >

>> I haven't seen it mentioned in the threads anywhere, but have you
>> tried disconnecting the battery to reset the indicator?
>>

> Any ABS fault is supposed to reset everytime the vehicle is started,
> then return if it is still present AND the vehicle is moving. ABS
> doesn't care that it doesn't work IF the vehicle is stopped - the trip
> hasn't yet begun. ABS only cares that it doesn't work if the trip has
> been started, then it doesn't care if the vehicle is moving or
> stopped, the ABS fault display remains.
>
> If the ABS fault report is due to an actual fault, there should be a
> code stored.

Yeah, OK, but "supposed to" doesn't mean "does".

If the tow/lift did something that confused the computer, then a hard power
reset might do something to un-confuse it. I don't mean to imply it's
the most likely solution, just that it's something i would try, if it were
me.

Old May 6th 05, 10:01 PM
DougW

rufus t did pass the time by typing:

> Yeah, OK, but "supposed to" doesn't mean "does".
>
> If the tow/lift did something that confused the computer, then a hard power
> reset might do something to un-confuse it. I don't mean to imply it's
> the most likely solution, just that it's something i would try, if it were
> me.

Note: A hard code can not be reset by anything other than a scantool with
that feature. But a hard code would show.

It's the lit lamp without code that's throwing me.

--
DougW

Old May 6th 05, 11:01 PM
nunya

more responses...
repeat, no codes stored, the light is on constantly, the ABS system works
(tested on a wet parking lot)
the monkeys didn't use hooks, they used a wheel spanner, and straps over the
rear wheels.

the starting problem continues, pressure reg and check valve are fine.

I'm going to look at the ground strap, that might cause a "hmmmm" cuz,
almost everytime we step from the vehicle, we get a small static electricity
nip from skin to the door jamb. (and its ****in her off)

Old May 6th 05, 11:41 PM
DougW

nunya did pass the time by typing:
> more responses...
> repeat, no codes stored, the light is on constantly, the ABS system works
> (tested on a wet parking lot)

That is odd. Did you try cleaning the ABS computer connector?

> I'm going to look at the ground strap, that might cause a "hmmmm" cuz,
> almost everytime we step from the vehicle, we get a small static electricity
> nip from skin to the door jamb. (and its ****in her off)

Ground strap won't do doodle for that. Static guard spray will help some as
will a light rub with an antistatic dryer sheet on the seats.

--
DougW

Old May 7th 05, 12:12 AM
Jeff Strickland

"DougW" > wrote in message
> nunya did pass the time by typing:
> > more responses...
> > repeat, no codes stored, the light is on constantly, the ABS system

works
> > (tested on a wet parking lot)

> That is odd. Did you try cleaning the ABS computer connector?
>
> > I'm going to look at the ground strap, that might cause a "hmmmm" cuz,
> > almost everytime we step from the vehicle, we get a small static

electricity
> > nip from skin to the door jamb. (and its ****in her off)

> Ground strap won't do doodle for that. Static guard spray will help some

as
> will a light rub with an antistatic dryer sheet on the seats.

I've heard that driving naked will prevent that, but it occurs to me that
driving naked could have other overhead that one would prefer to avoid. I
find that my wool skirt on the polyester seat fabric is good for a shock.

Old May 8th 05, 03:40 PM
Jeff Strickland

"rufus t" > wrote in message
om...
> "Jeff Strickland" > wrote in
> :
>

>> "rufus t" > wrote in message
>>> "nunya" > wrote in
>>> :

>>> I haven't seen it mentioned in the threads anywhere, but have you
>>> tried disconnecting the battery to reset the indicator?
>>>

>> Any ABS fault is supposed to reset everytime the vehicle is started,
>> then return if it is still present AND the vehicle is moving. ABS
>> doesn't care that it doesn't work IF the vehicle is stopped - the trip
>> hasn't yet begun. ABS only cares that it doesn't work if the trip has
>> been started, then it doesn't care if the vehicle is moving or
>> stopped, the ABS fault display remains.
>>
>> If the ABS fault report is due to an actual fault, there should be a
>> code stored.
>>

> Yeah, OK, but "supposed to" doesn't mean "does".
>
> If the tow/lift did something that confused the computer, then a hard
> power
> reset might do something to un-confuse it. I don't mean to imply it's
> the most likely solution, just that it's something i would try, if it were
> me.

Not true. If the vehicle is parked, then the ABS system will do its self
test and shut the ABS light off. The defect caused by yanking the wires out
by the roots will not appear again until the vehicle begins moving. It does
not take a hard reset to fix problems rooted in the speed sensors. Arguably,
it could take a hard reset to fix faults that come from the valve body or
the ABS compressor, but these kinds of faults would throw a code, and the OP
says there are no codes.