Sheriff Joe wrecks his car

Old May 4th 05, 06:45 PM
K Smythe

Default Sheriff Joe wrecks his car

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/issue...dougherty.html

<snip>

He scoped out a parking space and made his final approach.

But then, something inexplicable happened.

Instead of stopping, Arpaio's vehicle sped across the parking lot,
careened over a curb, crashed across a large boulder and finally came
to a stop on a sidewalk.

There were two flat tires, the front wheels were damaged, the radiator
was leaking, the front bumper was crumpled, the air conditioner was
mangled, the front suspension destroyed and the rear driver side
quarter panel was dented.

Arpaio's car had smashed into the curb and boulder with such force
that the drive shaft snapped.

The sheriff was lucky he hit the big rock. If Arpaio's car had
traveled a few more feet, it would have ended up on busy East
Palisades Boulevard.

<snip>

The source said the deputies told bystanders not to take more
photographs and confiscated onlookers' film.

The MCSO wouldn't respond to questions about this incident either.

According to Deputy Bierwalter's report, which I obtained under the
Arizona Public Records Law, Arpaio offered a vague explanation for the
mayhem:

"Mr. Arpaio said he had pulled into the parking lot of the Osco Drug
store and was going to park his vehicle in a space on the north side
of the parking lot when his vehicle would not stop."

<snip>

Did Arpaio's Crown Victoria -- the same model that is infamous for
exploding in accidents -- really have a mechanical failure that
somehow kept it from stopping?

I seriously doubt the vehicle suddenly threw itself in drive. It's far
more likely that Arpaio, for whatever reason, lost control of the
police cruiser.

It's well-known that Arpaio gets easily rattled and confused.

Last summer I approached him in a parking lot following a Scottsdale
campaign appearance and asked why he drove his county police cruiser
to political events. He became so flustered that he inadvertently
turned on his flashing police lights while he was backing up.

My hunch is that Arpaio simply became confused when he pulled into the
Osco lot and hit the accelerator instead of the brake. Why is
anybody's guess. Maybe it's just because he's old.

Old May 5th 05, 02:58 AM
Scott en Aztlán

On Wed, 04 May 2005 10:45:02 -0700, K Smythe > wrote:

>http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/issue...dougherty.html
>
><snip>
>
>He scoped out a parking space and made his final approach.
>
>But then, something inexplicable happened.
>
>Instead of stopping, Arpaio's vehicle sped across the parking lot,
>careened over a curb, crashed across a large boulder and finally came
>to a stop on a sidewalk.
>
>There were two flat tires, the front wheels were damaged, the radiator
>was leaking, the front bumper was crumpled, the air conditioner was
>mangled, the front suspension destroyed and the rear driver side
>quarter panel was dented.
>
>Arpaio's car had smashed into the curb and boulder with such force
>that the drive shaft snapped.
>
>The sheriff was lucky he hit the big rock. If Arpaio's car had
>traveled a few more feet, it would have ended up on busy East
>Palisades Boulevard.

He certainly fits in with the rest of the doddering old snowbird
drivers in Arizona...

Old May 5th 05, 02:46 PM
Bubba Rubba

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> On Wed, 04 May 2005 10:45:02 -0700, K Smythe > wrote:
>

>>http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/issue...dougherty.html
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>He scoped out a parking space and made his final approach.
>>
>>But then, something inexplicable happened.
>>
>>Instead of stopping, Arpaio's vehicle sped across the parking lot,
>>careened over a curb, crashed across a large boulder and finally came
>>to a stop on a sidewalk.
>>
>>There were two flat tires, the front wheels were damaged, the radiator
>>was leaking, the front bumper was crumpled, the air conditioner was
>>mangled, the front suspension destroyed and the rear driver side
>>quarter panel was dented.
>>
>>Arpaio's car had smashed into the curb and boulder with such force
>>that the drive shaft snapped.
>>
>>The sheriff was lucky he hit the big rock. If Arpaio's car had
>>traveled a few more feet, it would have ended up on busy East
>>Palisades Boulevard.

> He certainly fits in with the rest of the doddering old snowbird
> drivers in Arizona...

Are you sure it wasn't an SUV? SUV's are given credit by the media for
causing accidents by themselves, independant of the driver's actions.
Just like guns.
Old May 5th 05, 04:01 PM
K Smythe

On Thu, 05 May 2005 06:46:49 -0700, Bubba Rubba >
wrote:

>Scott en Aztlán wrote:
>> On Wed, 04 May 2005 10:45:02 -0700, K Smythe > wrote:
>>

>>>http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/issue...dougherty.html
>>>
>>><snip>
>>>
>>>He scoped out a parking space and made his final approach.
>>>
>>>But then, something inexplicable happened.
>>>
>>>Instead of stopping, Arpaio's vehicle sped across the parking lot,
>>>careened over a curb, crashed across a large boulder and finally came
>>>to a stop on a sidewalk.
>>>
>>>There were two flat tires, the front wheels were damaged, the radiator
>>>was leaking, the front bumper was crumpled, the air conditioner was
>>>mangled, the front suspension destroyed and the rear driver side
>>>quarter panel was dented.
>>>
>>>Arpaio's car had smashed into the curb and boulder with such force
>>>that the drive shaft snapped.
>>>
>>>The sheriff was lucky he hit the big rock. If Arpaio's car had
>>>traveled a few more feet, it would have ended up on busy East
>>>Palisades Boulevard.

>> He certainly fits in with the rest of the doddering old snowbird
>> drivers in Arizona...
>>

>Are you sure it wasn't an SUV? SUV's are given credit by the media for
>causing accidents by themselves, independant of the driver's actions.
>Just like guns.

And old people and corrupt politicians too.
Old May 5th 05, 04:38 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"K Smythe" > wrote in message
> http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/issue...dougherty.html
>
> <snip>
>

> The source said the deputies told bystanders not to take more
> photographs and confiscated onlookers' film.

Isn't that an illegal search and seizure? Parking lots aren't security
zones, and it isn't illegal to take pictures of an accident if you aren't
impeding traffic.

Old May 5th 05, 04:48 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article . net>,
Skip Elliott Bowman > wrote:
>"K Smythe" > wrote in message
.. .
>> http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/issue...dougherty.html
>>
>> <snip>
>>

>> The source said the deputies told bystanders not to take more
>> photographs and confiscated onlookers' film.

>Isn't that an illegal search and seizure? Parking lots aren't security
>zones, and it isn't illegal to take pictures of an accident if you aren't
>impeding traffic.

Oh, no, it's simply preservation of evidence. Ask any cop.

When the film is later exposed to the sun or the digital camera cards
erased, well, accidents happen.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old May 5th 05, 08:07 PM
Larry Bud

> And old people and corrupt politicians too.

Your source isn't exactly objective when it comes to the beloved
sheriff.

Old May 5th 05, 08:13 PM
Laura Bush murdered her boy friend

This is the abu ghraib sheriff who's become infamous for torturing
convicts in his jail. Looks like he was drunk driving but don't expect
this criminal to go to jail.

Old May 5th 05, 08:41 PM
Furious George

Laura Bush murdered her boy friend wrote:
> This is the abu ghraib sheriff who's become infamous for torturing
> convicts in his jail. Looks like he was drunk driving but don't

expect
> this criminal to go to jail.

He'll probably get the Laura Bush treatment.

Old May 5th 05, 11:38 PM
K Smythe

On 5 May 2005 12:07:48 -0700, "Larry Bud" >
wrote:

>> And old people and corrupt politicians too.

>Your source isn't exactly objective when it comes to the beloved
>sheriff.

You noticed that too?

I tried searching other news sources, but was unable to come up with
anything.

Sheriff Joe has a relative in high places at the AZ Republic newspaper
according to the same biased source.

I didn't see or hear anything about the accident until I saw the
article I provided the link for.