Minimum octane for Windsor class engines?

Old March 5th 05, 05:39 AM
Spike

Default Minimum octane for Windsor class engines?

With gas prices headed for the $3 mark for the summer, what's the
lowest recommended octane rating for 289/351W engines? I know... the
lowest I can use without knock, but would like to know what is
actually recommended. Thanks.
Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Old March 5th 05, 05:49 AM
Wound Up

Spike wrote:
> With gas prices headed for the $3 mark for the summer, what's the
> lowest recommended octane rating for 289/351W engines? I know... the
> lowest I can use without knock, but would like to know what is
> actually recommended. Thanks.

I can retard the timing on my 8.75:1 302 4v to 5-6deg initial, using a
curve that gives full advance by 3500, and cannot use regular unleaded
without a ping somewhere in there (at 550 ft. elevation).

However, it is always set for 10-12 deg. initial, with full advance by
about 2800. I run 89, and time it for 89 by ear. I get better mileage
with a more aggressive timing curve. More vacuum, and better response.
$30 for 200 miles sucks, but it could be worse..

Whaddyouwant for 8 carbed cylinders......

When gas prices spike, I drive the beater more, thassall

--
Wound Up
ThunderSnake #65

Old March 5th 05, 01:31 PM
Adrian Gruber

Thanks for the info on the racing stripe, I'll try waxing it today!

"Spike" > wrote in message
news
> With gas prices headed for the $3 mark for the summer, what's the
> lowest recommended octane rating for 289/351W engines? I know... the
> lowest I can use without knock, but would like to know what is
> actually recommended. Thanks.

When I bought my 02 GT it was in July so the weather was pretty warm here in
Orlando, I was using regular grade 87-89 octane with no problems there. But
when winter came and the weather started cooling off into mid 30-50 deg
reange my engine started knocking. I brought it back to my dealer and they
checked it out and "re-flashed" the computer since then I don't have much
problem this winter using regular gas. I will here a knock if I lug the
engine.

Old March 5th 05, 04:12 PM
Wound Up

Adrian Gruber wrote:
> Thanks for the info on the racing stripe, I'll try waxing it today!
>
> "Spike" > wrote in message
> news >
>>With gas prices headed for the $3 mark for the summer, what's the
>>lowest recommended octane rating for 289/351W engines? I know... the
>>lowest I can use without knock, but would like to know what is
>>actually recommended. Thanks.

> When I bought my 02 GT it was in July so the weather was pretty warm here in
> Orlando, I was using regular grade 87-89 octane with no problems there. But
> when winter came and the weather started cooling off into mid 30-50 deg
> reange my engine started knocking. I brought it back to my dealer and they
> checked it out and "re-flashed" the computer since then I don't have much
> problem this winter using regular gas. I will here a knock if I lug the
> engine.

Thanks for the suggestion, but we cannot re-flash carburetors and
distributors.

--
Wound Up
ThunderSnake #65

Old March 5th 05, 04:22 PM
.boB

Spike wrote:
> With gas prices headed for the $3 mark for the summer, what's the
> lowest recommended octane rating for 289/351W engines? I know... the
> lowest I can use without knock, but would like to know what is
> actually recommended. Thanks.
> Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
> 1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok
> Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
> Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
> w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16

There are a lot of factors involved, so there really
is no simple answer. Compression ratio, valve timing
and overlap, and ignition timing are major
contributors. But cylinder head temp, ambient air
temp, barometric pressure, humidity, and engine load
all play a role.
My dodge does really well on mid grade, especially
in the winter. But if I'm towing a moderately heavy
trailer I add a little premium or it will knock. My
'74 302 (in my '66) never knocks on the cheap stuff -
it has 9:1 compression and an RV cam. The 427W in my
cobra needs premium.

--
..boB
1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged!

Old March 5th 05, 09:26 PM
Spike

My beater 87 Escort with the 1.9L gets 32mpg. It's ugly, it still has
deer hoof prints in the radiator fins (the grill went first), it's
slow.... but it only cost me $500 and it's sure cheap to run. I just
wear sunglasses and a big floppy hat, and park way out in the boonies
where nobody will recognize me.

Old March 5th 05, 09:27 PM
Spike

Fortunately, I have no computer to deal with.

Old March 5th 05, 09:29 PM
Spike

We can't? That should disappoint Kate..... Nothing to laugh at... LOL
Oh, well, it's too warm to wear the overcoat in the summer
anyway...... : )

Old March 5th 05, 09:30 PM
Spike

Valid, however, it seems to me that the original Ford Owners Manual
indicated which gas grade to use. Unfortunately, I don't have the
OWners Manual.

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 09:22:00 -0700, ".boB"

Old March 5th 05, 10:24 PM
Wound Up

Yep... my rusting '89 5 sp. Tempo gets between 28-33, and the a/c works.
It's approaching 200,000, been backed into twice, is not much faster
than the Escort, but comfortable (for me anyway) and cruises at 70 just
fine. I could care less if people think badly of me because of my car...

Spike wrote:
> My beater 87 Escort with the 1.9L gets 32mpg. It's ugly, it still has
> deer hoof prints in the radiator fins (the grill went first), it's
> slow.... but it only cost me $500 and it's sure cheap to run. I just
> wear sunglasses and a big floppy hat, and park way out in the boonies
> where nobody will recognize me.
>
> On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 05:49:21 GMT, Wound Up > wrote:
>

>>Spike wrote:
>>
>>>With gas prices headed for the $3 mark for the summer, what's the
>>>lowest recommended octane rating for 289/351W engines? I know... the
>>>lowest I can use without knock, but would like to know what is
>>>actually recommended. Thanks.

>>I can retard the timing on my 8.75:1 302 4v to 5-6deg initial, using a
>>curve that gives full advance by 3500, and cannot use regular unleaded
>>without a ping somewhere in there (at 550 ft. elevation).
>>
>>However, it is always set for 10-12 deg. initial, with full advance by
>>about 2800. I run 89, and time it for 89 by ear. I get better mileage
>>with a more aggressive timing curve. More vacuum, and better response.
>> $30 for 200 miles sucks, but it could be worse..
>>
>>Whaddyouwant for 8 carbed cylinders......
>>
>>When gas prices spike, I drive the beater more, thassall
>>

>>>Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
>>>1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok
>>>Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
>>>Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
>>>w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16

> Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
> 1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok
> Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
> Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
> w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16

--
Wound Up
ThunderSnake #65

T1 fuel injected engines vs T1 carbureted engines Jens VW air cooled 6 March 3rd 05 02:22 AM
Octane for 3 Series Olav BMW 14 February 25th 05 04:24 PM
Stupid question (was Changing the oil filter only) Bill F Technology 20 January 18th 05 09:57 PM
A1 conversion to 86 octane Michael VW water cooled 25 November 20th 04 02:10 AM
Octane fuel to use for a 92 Passat CL Tavish Muldoon VW water cooled 2 September 21st 04 04:11 AM