Mounting A Compact Fluorescent Strip Light

Old August 31st 03, 03:27 AM
^*^ Vosklady ^*^

Default Mounting A Compact Fluorescent Strip Light

Hello,

Today I received my 48" All-Glass Compact Fluorescent Strip Light for my 55.
I also bought an All-Glass Versa Top (2-24") since the new light wouldn't
fit on my All-Glass Deluxe Full Hood. I love the new light, it really makes
a difference but . . . I am unable to open the top very far (on either side)
to feed my fish or get into the tank for maintenance because of the light
resting on top of it (it's much wider than the strip light that comes with
the hood).

My question is . . . how should I mount the light so I can have access to
the tank? Are there mounting brackets/legs available somewhere that I could
use so I could move the light up and out of the way when I need to
feed/clean and such? If so, where could I find them?

Many Thanks in Advance,

^*^ Vosklady ^*^

Old August 31st 03, 04:55 AM
Racf

"^*^ Vosklady ^*^" wrote in message
[...]

Welcome to the club, amigo. That's what happens when we add lights for
our plants....we usually give up the easy access via the normal manner.
I feed through the little slit in the back....and for WCs and other
maintenance I take the light off...

Would be nice if someone made custom glass tops with just a little piece
in the front....instead of the middle. You could get glass cut for you
and reuse the plastic hinge strip. I sure wish I could buy those
plastic hinge strips.....perhaps a LFS could order them...

Old August 31st 03, 06:16 AM
NetMax

"Racf" wrote in message
ink.net...

"^*^ Vosklady ^*^" wrote in message
[...]

I make all my glass covers and I don't use any hinges. Cut strips of
glass and clamp/silicone them to each side of the plates on either side
of the opening. Then your removable section rests on this ledge. To
feed, I lift the glass and slide it up an inch. This would probably be
better illustrated *sigh*.

Here is a simple design consisting of 4 pieces and a single hatch, tank
is 48" by 18". Section A & B (12"x18"), C (24"x14") and D (24"x4").
Looking left to right, sections are installed as A, C/D and B. Sections
C/D sit on a ledge which is a 2" wide glass strip siliconed under the
right side of A and the left side of B. Stack of few pieces of siliconed
glass to make a handle for lifting the door, D. Leave A and/or B a bit
narrower to attach the plastic strips which has cut-outs for filters,
hoses and heaters (tank end installation). If you prefer the back of the
tank for filters/hoses/heaters, then section C becomes 24"x12" or
whatever it needs to be shorter to accommodate the width of the plastic
end strip.

Here is a 2 door design, consisting of 7 pieces, tank is 5 ft long, 18"
front to back. Sections are lettered A,B & C, (18"x12"), D&E (15"x12")
and the two hatches are F&G, (3"x12").

Standing in front of the tank going from left to right: A, then D/F, then
B, then E/G, then C. On both edges of B are 2" wide strips of glass
siliconed underneath to act as a ledge to hold up D/F on one side and E/G
on the other. The right side of A has a ledge as does the left side of
C. If you understand this, then make A and/or C slightly less than 12"
wide so you can attach a plastic cut-out strip, or make D and/or E
slightly smaller (13"x12") if you want rear filter etc installation.
Section B cannot be shortened anywhere to add a plastic strip, or
everything falls in the water ;~)

Last words of advice, make all glass measurements when the tank is full
of water (otherwise tank bow may cause completed pieces to be too small),
and install or remove cover when the tank is full of water (otherwise
with no water, the tank unbow'ed will lock the glass pieces into place).
Following these instructions, section B (example above) might actually be
19"x12". All sections should have a slight gap between them and on the
tank's trim, so the cover does not become structural. This is an
extremely inexpensive DIY cover, as the only materials are the plastic
cut-out strips (recycled or from LFS) cheap plate glass and silicone.

NetMax

Old August 31st 03, 06:03 PM
^*^ Vosklady ^*^

Thanks so much for the replies, they are appreciated.

~ Vosklady ~

Flouresent Ballast Wiring Ken N Reefs 22 February 21st 04 03:26 PM
Can I use compact Fluorescent Bulbs? BigHaig Reefs 5 October 8th 03 11:11 AM
Can I use compact Fluorescent Bulbs? BigHaig General 0 October 8th 03 03:44 AM
OT How many group posters does it take to change a light bulb? Richard Reynolds Reefs 6 September 1st 03 08:23 AM
Like new CustomSea Life Power Compact 48" + Moon Light Gordon Wanner General 0 August 24th 03 09:59 PM