Why we do this...because our cars make peope happy.

Old December 18th 04, 01:20 AM
jjs

My eldest son is now 33 years-old. How depressing is THAT? Eh?

Old December 18th 04, 06:40 AM
Thomas Malmevik

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, jjs wrote:

> "Thomas Malmevik" > wrote in message
> news:Pine.A41.4.61b.0412152005240.168716@aagaard02 .u.washington.edu...
>> Just an Old Hippie Freak Biker Dude, man

> You still ride?

Hell yes. But temporaily sidelined. Fell off the scoot last monday
and broke my damn left knee in three places. Gonna be 10 weeks at least
before I can ride again. *grumblegrumble*

--
the Grokdoc
Tom Malmevik

Old December 18th 04, 07:43 AM
Gary Tateosian

jjs wrote:

> My eldest son is now 33 years-old.

....and how old is the youngest daughter?? 8^)

....Gareth

Old December 18th 04, 12:49 PM
Mike C.

Ouch...bummer dude. Feel better soon.

Old December 18th 04, 12:49 PM
Shaggie

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 18:20:39 -0600, "jjs" > wrote:

>My eldest son is now 33 years-old. How depressing is THAT? Eh?

I turn 37 next week.
You're probably old enough to be my dad, JJ. :-)

---

"Let us not look back in anger, nor forward in fear, but around in awareness."
-James Thurber
Old December 18th 04, 05:41 PM
ilambert

It really is not so hard.Do we enjoy it? if the answer is yes,we continue.If
it is no,the quest continues.I enjoy messing with ACVW(old cars in general)
and I will until I decide it's not fun anymore.
k.net...

Old December 20th 04, 12:04 AM
ThaDriver

My 2 cents:
Annie (the yellow baja) is by far THE most fun car/thing I've ever owned!
With the huge tires (bouncing a little), stiff ride, go-anywhere I want
capability, sterio blasting, sitting up high I cannot drive it without
smiling.
I've had kids walk around it tracing the paint designs with their fingers
& talking to themselves.
One *old* lady I parked next to once said (in her raspy old-lady voice) "I
like your car.".
Another guy told me once "You know; I hate Volkswagons..." (& I thought
here it comes about how much time & money I've wasted) "...but I really
like your bug".
So yes, we do it for fun *and* for others.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Old December 20th 04, 12:32 AM
Birdlander

I agree; I was fortunate enought to buy a '73 SB nine years ago from a pro
who had restored it completely. Since then it has been my daily driver
through moves from California to Missouri and now to Illinois. Granted, I
know only drive six miles/day round-trip to work, so I'm only putting about
1500-2000 miles/year on it.

You're right--the fun part is people who tell you stories about their bug
(often, their first car) and thinking they'd still like to have that car.

I'm fortunate to have a great mechanic here in town who keeps the bug
going--I'm a total mechanical know-nothing. He gives it its annual
physical, plus makes the needed repairs quickly and at a reasonable price.
I need to re-paint the bug next summer (starting to getting nicks here and
there, plus that seemingly inevitable rust just behind and below the rear
passenger windows).

So, I don't spend alot each year on the bug: its annual physical, usually
one major repair (this year: rear brakes and CV joint), gas (1.5 fillups per
month) and liability insurance. Heck of a lot better than car payments, for
sure, and the smiles and comments from others are a bonus. I'm a middle
school principal, and the kids at my school LOVE the bug!

~Birdlander

Old December 20th 04, 02:18 AM
jjs

"Birdlander" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...] Granted, I
> know only drive six miles/day round-trip to work

Pathetic. What you got against a little exercise every day?