Follow Up on Stripe

Old March 10th 05, 05:11 AM
Spike

worked on my 72 'stang which had both vinyl panels and pinstripe
decals. What works in one instance doesn't always work in another.

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 03:05:03 GMT, "SVTKate"
> wrote:

>My experience with metallic and even plain vinyl stripes that go bad is that
>you cannot condidion them back to life.
>I have tried many different approaches and once the finish is gone, it's a
>done deal.
>The best thing I ever found for a temporary dress up was good old fashioned
>Pledge and lots of it. but it was short lived.
>
>Now, they may ahve come out with something new in recent years.
>

>"Spike" > wrote in message
.. .
>| Unless they make 'em outta totally different stuff today, I'd pick a
>| small area that's less noticeable and try one of the means already
>| recommended like ultra fine rubbing compound (even toothpaste) to
>| remove the oxidation and then some vinyl polish to put a protective
>| coat on. If it works in the small area... go for the gusto.
>|
>| On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 15:31:31 GMT, "Adrian Gruber" >
>| wrote:
>|
>| >I went to my local Ford Dealer yesterday to see if there are any products
>| >available to bring the stripe back to life.
>| >The parts manager told me the stripe on the hood is a genuine Ford part
>but
>| >it can't be restored due to the mettalic nature of the stripe. All I
>could
>| >do is peel it off and put a new one on. (Not Deirable) The other option
>he
>| >suggestet was to go to a body shop and have them gently sand it with
>| >microfine sand paper then clear coat it.
>| >

>| Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
>| 1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok
>| Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
>| Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
>| w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Old March 10th 05, 12:04 PM
SVTKate

You're absolutely right.
Horses of a different color and all that.
Polishing them would be much easier than removing them.

Kate

"Spike" > wrote in message
| worked on my 72 'stang which had both vinyl panels and pinstripe
| decals. What works in one instance doesn't always work in another.
|
| On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 03:05:03 GMT, "SVTKate"
| > wrote:
|
| >My experience with metallic and even plain vinyl stripes that go bad is
that
| >you cannot condidion them back to life.
| >I have tried many different approaches and once the finish is gone, it's
| >done deal.
| >The best thing I ever found for a temporary dress up was good old
fashioned
| >Pledge and lots of it. but it was short lived.
| >
| >Now, they may ahve come out with something new in recent years.
| >

| >"Spike" > wrote in message
| .. .
| >| Unless they make 'em outta totally different stuff today, I'd pick a
| >| small area that's less noticeable and try one of the means already
| >| recommended like ultra fine rubbing compound (even toothpaste) to
| >| remove the oxidation and then some vinyl polish to put a protective
| >| coat on. If it works in the small area... go for the gusto.
| >|
| >| On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 15:31:31 GMT, "Adrian Gruber" >
| >|

Old March 10th 05, 01:47 PM

wrote:

>I went to my local Ford Dealer yesterday to see if there are any products
>available to bring the stripe back to life.
>The parts manager told me the stripe on the hood is a genuine Ford part but
>it can't be restored due to the mettalic nature of the stripe. All I could
>do is peel it off and put a new one on. (Not Deirable) The other option he
>suggestet was to go to a body shop and have them gently sand it with
>microfine sand paper then clear coat it.

3M makes a couple of products to remove stripes and decals. One is
like a giant gum eraser disc, the other is a wheel made of strips of
something. Each are designed to attach to a drill and they literally
erase the stripe material without damaging the paint. I used the
latter of the 2 to remove the stripes off of my Ranger and it worked
like a charm. I went back over each area (both sides of the truck,
nose to tail) with Meguiar's 3-step system and the result was perfect.
Check your local parts house that deals with paint/body items and I'll
bet you'll find it.

Okie Tom - TS #62

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd.
2001 Ranger XLT
www.bluestanggt.corral.net
Old March 10th 05, 04:28 PM
SVTKate

Good to know Tom, thanks!
isn't modern technology amazing

Kate

Old March 11th 05, 05:23 AM

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:28:01 GMT, "SVTKate"
> wrote:

>Good to know Tom, thanks!
>isn't modern technology amazing
>
>Kate

No prob Katester.

Okie Tom - TS #62

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd.
2001 Ranger XLT
www.bluestanggt.corral.net
Old March 11th 05, 02:03 PM
SVTKate

You goofball!

news | On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:28:01 GMT, "SVTKate"