Thanks for all the replys to "GPL Frustrations."

Old December 2nd 04, 03:13 AM
bernard spilman

Default Thanks for all the replys to "GPL Frustrations."

Thanks for the replys. The messages have disappeared from
my news server (Roadrunner) already so I couldn't post this
as a "reply."

I've narrowed it down to the wheel, must just be something
about the MS wheel GPL doesn't like. I hooked a joystick
up and it worked fine. In fact I had as much fun in GPL with a stick
as many sims with a wheel. It's about time for a new wheel anyway
so I'll be up and running soon. Thanks again.
WS

Old December 2nd 04, 03:58 AM
Sting32

Bernard,

I think you said you are using the gamport version of the MS wheel right?
that and I think you got XP, so right there is your problem, in as such as
the OS doesn't support gamports ironically -> especially the MS wheel. Read
all about that and troubles by googoling this group for one, and the
sidewinder site on MS (if it even still exists).

I can only suppose that the readings that the wheel sends via the gameport
are all but lost on -XP as I for one find that the USB version the MS wheel
is the most awesome combination I have had... Since I haven't had the luck
of dumping out 1200 for an ecci, though I did get to use on in one of those
full motion simulators this past year! I had a even dozen of the
thrustmasters, before these... & yea, I bought 2 because they aren't
selling them anymore.

. com...

Old December 2nd 04, 04:10 AM
AlenlorDRot

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 02:13:38 +0000, bernard spilman wrote:
> Thanks for the replys. The messages have disappeared from
> my news server (Roadrunner) already so I couldn't post this
> as a "reply."
>

> I've narrowed it down to the wheel, must just be something
> about the MS wheel GPL doesn't like. I hooked a joystick
> up and it worked fine. In fact I had as much fun in GPL with a stick
> as many sims with a wheel. It's about time for a new wheel anyway
> so I'll be up and running soon. Thanks again.
> WS

I use a MS Precision Pro and have had the same problem in GPL
and one of the Nascar titles. Unfortunately, I can't remember
how I fixed it, or I would have posted before. I do know that
I use the software that came with the wheel, even though XP
gives some sort of error message about installing it. It seems
like it could work if you spent enough time screwing around
with it.

That said, I can't think of a better reason for a new wheel. I
know if my wheel did everything but GPL I'd need another wheel.

Old December 2nd 04, 04:35 AM
Biz

Actually its more likely XP that your wheel does not like. XP has almost no
support for gameport devices, if you're running XP, they assume you've
upgrade to all USB gaming devices.

Old December 2nd 04, 05:48 AM
bernard spilman

"Sting32" > wrote in message
. com...
> Bernard,
>
> I think you said you are using the gamport version of the MS wheel right?
> that and I think you got XP, so right there is your problem, in as such as
> the OS doesn't support gamports ironically -> especially the MS wheel.

Read
> all about that and troubles by googoling this group for one, and the
> sidewinder site on MS (if it even still exists).
>
> I can only suppose that the readings that the wheel sends via the gameport
> are all but lost on -XP as I for one find that the USB version the MS

wheel
> is the most awesome combination I have had... Since I haven't had the

luck
> of dumping out 1200 for an ecci, though I did get to use on in one of

those
> full motion simulators this past year! I had a even dozen of the
> thrustmasters, before these... & yea, I bought 2 because they aren't
> selling them anymore.

Nah, it's a USB.
WS

Old December 2nd 04, 05:51 AM
bernard spilman

"AlenlorDRot" <alenlor@##hotmail.!!moc> wrote in message
newsan.2004.12.02.03.10.28.658000@%23%23hotmail. !!moc...
> On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 02:13:38 +0000, bernard spilman wrote:
> > Thanks for the replys. The messages have disappeared from
> > my news server (Roadrunner) already so I couldn't post this
> > as a "reply."
> >

> > I've narrowed it down to the wheel, must just be something
> > about the MS wheel GPL doesn't like. I hooked a joystick
> > up and it worked fine. In fact I had as much fun in GPL with a stick
> > as many sims with a wheel. It's about time for a new wheel anyway
> > so I'll be up and running soon. Thanks again.
> > WS

> I use a MS Precision Pro and have had the same problem in GPL
> and one of the Nascar titles. Unfortunately, I can't remember
> how I fixed it, or I would have posted before. I do know that
> I use the software that came with the wheel, even though XP
> gives some sort of error message about installing it. It seems
> like it could work if you spent enough time screwing around
> with it.
>
> That said, I can't think of a better reason for a new wheel. I
> know if my wheel did everything but GPL I'd need another wheel.

Did the wheel software, works OK. I remember a box in the setup
to allow split axes, I might try that. Dammit, I'm gonna mess up the
new wheel deal.
WS

Old December 2nd 04, 05:53 AM
bernard spilman

"Biz" > wrote in message
> Actually its more likely XP that your wheel does not like. XP has almost

no
> support for gameport devices, if you're running XP, they assume you've
> upgrade to all USB gaming devices.

Nope, it's a USB. Even the non-XP software works OK.
Just one of those things i guess.
WS

Old December 2nd 04, 08:58 AM
Peter

2004-12-02, Sting32 wrote:
> Bernard,
>
> I think you said you are using the gamport version of the MS wheel right?
> that and I think you got XP, so right there is your problem, in as such as
> the OS doesn't support gamports ironically -> especially the MS wheel. Read
> all about that and troubles by googoling this group for one, and the
> sidewinder site on MS (if it even still exists).

This can't be right - I use CH Pro Pedals (gameport) combined with an
el-cheapo USB wheel: no problems in F1 2002, GTR, rFactor, big problems in
GPL. (With win XP)

-peter

Old December 2nd 04, 04:41 PM
Plowboy2

OK,

months ago I helped not only my 3 buds in town get the wheel to work with
thier machines (especially for NR03) but other stuff, but also for my
brother and btw my whole online team had MS wheels (7 of us) many were
converts from TM, or the Momo's (mainly because Momo's would lose
calibration on us, and most liked to race, not have to much with computers,
you know).

what I did was this. you have to have installed the sofware that goes with
the wheel. now in there are 'profiles,' you may or may not have told the
installer to install them when you asked for it, if not I could send you
mine that I use for all Papy (and also others like RBR, GTR, Rfactor etc)
games. Anyway if you allwed the install of the profiles, you need to
select the one for "gran Prix legends" this sets the buttons, sensitivity
and seperate to basic ready to play gpl mode. you can of course modify any
of these settings, via the Sidewinder app (if you click on the sidewinder
wheel listed in the properties in game controllers you will cause this app
to launch also). BTW in here you can test and stuff (4tabs IIRC, because I
dont have on here at work obvioulsy).

I find that this wheel with the profile loaded works on every game I have
tried EXCEPT ones that do not like seperate axes, like MTM, MTM2, Midtown
Madness, and other more arcadey crap... the real sims had no problem, knock
on wood.

Good luck
more help? IM or email me stingre (AT) yahoo (dot) com

bernard spilman enlightened us with: