I've been VIOLATED!

Old October 24th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Doug Wilson

Default I've been VIOLATED!

The 2006 has a button in the trunk that, when pushed, disables the release
button as well as the button on the ignition key that opens the trunk lid.
Apparently, the release is electronic.

Old October 24th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Remove This

I knew about disabling the inside release with this button, but I wasn't
aware it also disabled the button on the keycard.
However if you have the card, well, simply reach under and ....

--
I work for the ILEC ...." stuff happens! "

.. .

Old November 6th 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
lloyd_dobbler_1

Mark wrote:
> wrote:
> > pws > wrote:
> > > Anything of real value either goes with me or is left in the trunk when
> > > I park away from home.

> > Why do you think the trunk is safe? My '05 MSM has a trunk release in
> > the center console and I assume you Miata does also.
> >

> One of the first mods I made to my '97 when I got it was to disable the
> trunk release cable. So now there is no way into the trunk except by
> the rear keyed lock. I'd highly recommend it for those of us who park
> with the top down or doors unlocked. There's an article on how to do
> this somewhere on miata.net (probably in the garage area). It's very
> simply.

i always leave my doors unlocked with nothing of value in the car and
thought the removal of the trunk release lever was a good idea until...

http://home.comcast.net/~prime8monkey/Page_1.jpg

as you can see it won't always deter a determined thief. if the trunk
release was still there i would have just lost a small amp and
subwoofer (nothing crazy expensive, just enough to add some low end to
my music on the highway) but instead i had to replace the deck lid and
trunk latch as well as losing the stereo equipment.

i now have an alarm and feel a lot better about the missing release
cable.

Old November 7th 06, 05:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws

lloyd_dobbler_1 wrote:

> i always leave my doors unlocked with nothing of value in the car and
> thought the removal of the trunk release lever was a good idea until...
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~prime8monkey/Page_1.jpg
>
> as you can see it won't always deter a determined thief.

That sucks.
Looks like the thief got your finish panel too, those are not cheap, I
need a new one myself.

> if the trunk
> release was still there i would have just lost a small amp and
> subwoofer (nothing crazy expensive, just enough to add some low end to
> my music on the highway) but instead i had to replace the deck lid and
> trunk latch as well as losing the stereo equipment.

That is assuming that the thief knew to look for a trunk release.
He/she/it may have also looked for it and failed to find it. Most trunk
releases that I see are not in the center console.

> i now have an alarm and feel a lot better about the missing release
> cable.

If the people in the area don't do anything about someone taking a
crowbar to your trunk lid, they certainly aren't going to worry about an
alarm going off.
If it wakes you up at home, do you call the police and watch your car
get molested as you hope they make it in time or do you plan to confront
the person?
This is someone with a pry bar in their hands, that qualifies as a
deadly weapon, officer. I had no choice but to give him several
high-speed lead injections. ;-)

Pat

Old November 7th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
lloyd_dobbler_1

i was lucky enough to find a BRG finish panel on ebay for $150 and an M
edition trunk lid that matches the color close enough as long as it's
not in direct sunlight for $150 as well.

they obviously looked for a trunk release because the seats were moved
up and the carpet was pulled back behind the seats, the center console
and glove box were open and the hood and gas lid had been popped but
not completely opened.

it's true that most people ignore car alarms but if it goes off and i
turn on my porch light the thief is more than likely going to be on his
way down the street before i get the front door open... after all if
you're stealing car stereos in the dark at 3am you're probably not the
most daring of criminals.

Old November 7th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

lloyd_dobbler_1 wrote:
> i was lucky enough to find a BRG finish panel on ebay for $150 and an M
> edition trunk lid that matches the color close enough as long as it's
> not in direct sunlight for $150 as well.

Excellent! I obviously like to see any good reference to Ebay.

> they obviously looked for a trunk release because the seats were moved
> up and the carpet was pulled back behind the seats, the center console
> and glove box were open and the hood and gas lid had been popped but
> not completely opened.

Sounds like they looked for it to me too. With that much effort, I
wonder if someone heard your car and assumed that you had a really
expensive system in there. That is quite a bit of work, you can tell
from the pictures that they had to go at it several times.

> it's true that most people ignore car alarms but if it goes off and i
> turn on my porch light the thief is more than likely going to be on his
> way down the street before i get the front door open... after all if
> you're stealing car stereos in the dark at 3am you're probably not the
> most daring of criminals.

I agree, though it's not my porch light that they have to worry about,
it is the unbelievably bright Sure-Fire flashlight unit that replaces
the forend grip on my Benelli M1.
225 lumens lights the yard up light a spotlight. The thief can run, but
it is up to me on whether that continues unless he/she/it can reach
speeds of well over 1000 feet per second.

Pat
Old November 8th 06, 10:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Annie and Chris Lang

My 2000 UK MX5 has the trunk release disables if you lock the boot with
the Key in an anti clockwise direction!
Regards
Chris
Old November 8th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
lloyd_dobbler_1

> Excellent! I obviously like to see any good reference to Ebay.

if you're looking for a trim panel try kyoto-exports on ebay. you may
need to keep an eye out to find one to match your car.

http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZkyotoQ2dexports

these are the guys i got mine from. it ships from japan but it arrived
here in nashville in 2 days... not bad for a $50 shipping charge.

> Sounds like they looked for it to me too. With that much effort, I
> wonder if someone heard your car and assumed that you had a really
> expensive system in there. That is quite a bit of work, you can tell
> from the pictures that they had to go at it several times.

i'm pretty sure that when they pulled the stereo from the dash and saw
the RCA connection for the amp running back to the trunk is when they
decided there was anything of value back there.
after owning several hondas (thief magnets) i don't really crank the
stereo unless i'm on the highway.

Old November 8th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws

lloyd_dobbler_1 wrote:
>> Excellent! I obviously like to see any good reference to Ebay.

> if you're looking for a trim panel try kyoto-exports on ebay. you may
> need to keep an eye out to find one to match your car.
>
> http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZkyotoQ2dexports
>
> these are the guys i got mine from. it ships from japan but it arrived
> here in nashville in 2 days... not bad for a $50 shipping charge.

Thanks, I will check it out.
It shouldn't be too hard to find a match, since mine is RED, my least
favorite car color that I can live with, but by far the most common
color of the NA miatas.

Pat
Old December 19th 06, 07:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

I can relate to the tonneau cover break in. They just did that to my
car -- everything unlocked, and tried to take the tonneau cover off --
they put a small tear in around the cover itself, but didn't end up
getting it off -- nor did they get anything of value. Nothing in the
trunk, etc.

But any ideas on how I would repair a tonneau cover? Sew it? with
what?

thanks!

jim