I've been VIOLATED!

Old October 23rd 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

Default I've been VIOLATED!

pws > wrote:
> Anything of real value either goes with me or is left in the trunk when
> I park away from home.

Why do you think the trunk is safe? My '05 MSM has a trunk release in
the center console and I assume you Miata does also.

I lock the doors but reconsidering if this is good practice.

-Bob

--
Bob Waltenspiel

http://www.sonic.net/~bobino
Old October 23rd 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws

Mark wrote:

> One of the first mods I made to my '97 when I got it was to disable the
> trunk release cable. So now there is no way into the trunk except by
> the rear keyed lock. I'd highly recommend it for those of us who park
> with the top down or doors unlocked. There's an article on how to do
> this somewhere on miata.net (probably in the garage area). It's very
> simply.

Yup, I did the same here on my 1996 miata.

My 1991 does not have a trunk release, I am not sure when they added
that "feature".

Disabling it on the later year models is just a matter of taking the
center console off and unhooking the wire, which attaches like a
standard bicycle brake cable.

A savvy thief might break the console and pull the wire. Not real likely
for a grab and run scumbag and not something that I have to worry about
since there is no wire or release handle on my year model.

Pat
Old October 23rd 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws

XS11E wrote:

> I did that right away, here's the article:
> http://www.miata.net/garage/techtrunk.html
>
> Note that 2000 and later Miatas should have this feature already, not sure
> about 2006 and later.

I thought about doing that, but then realized that I never used the
trunk release on my 1996 model, so I just unhooked the cable. I
definitely don't miss it now that it is not an option.
It was either 2 minutes to unhook the cable while I already had the
console off for transmission service or 2+ hours with a grinder.

I doubt if I would have ever used the key-enable option, but I can see
how some people would like it.

Pat
Old October 23rd 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws

Lanny Chambers wrote:

> 1990 models don't have a remote release.

Same with 1991. XS11E's 1992 has one, so that must have been the year
that it was added.

Pat
Old October 23rd 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Remove This

Finally, the voice of reason....

--
I work for the ILEC ...." stuff happens! "

Old October 23rd 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2006-10-23, Remove This > wrote:

>> I never lock the doors. But, I don't leave anything in the
>> cockpit that's worth anywhere near what a window or roof costs.

> Finally, the voice of reason....

Thanks.

My previous Miata (96M) came with a "factory" alarm system.
Even though I never locked the doors, the alarm system
auto-armed when I shut off the car.

So, 15 seconds after the local JD opens the door and starts
rifling though my car, the alarm goes off. Said JD (having
**** for brains) decides to pry the alarm switch off the
steering column (which of course doesn't shut off the alarm but
does result in a gouged up steering column cover). At least
the kid had the sense to try the door to see if it was open
before slashing the top...

Cost of the whole incident: $1.87 in change gone from the ash
tray and $100+ to re-install the alarm switch and fix the
steering column cover.

Had I _not_ had an alarm, it would have cost just $1.87. :/

I'm all in favor of an engine-disable, but the horns going off
when the door is opened proved to be a bad idea. Trying to
prevent theft of things left in the cockpit of a convertible is
a fool's errand.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! MMM-MM!! So THIS is
at BIO-NEBULATION!