E85 vs Gasoline - credible numbers?

Old September 9th 06, 03:35 AM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,sci.chem
Joe Fischer[_1_]

Default E85 vs Gasoline - credible numbers?

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 02:22:19 GMT, > wrote:

>"Sponsored by OILY INC.
>>[snip

>You don't even have a clue what he's talking about, do you? Megawatts per
>year is a meaningless unit. Moron troll.
>Eric Lucas

He finally did add "hours" but that might have been
wrong, it might have been better to drop the "day" or "year"
and not add the "hour'.

Joe Fischer

Old September 9th 06, 04:13 AM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,sci.chem
Bob[_4_]

"Joe Fischer" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 07 Sep "*" > wrote:
>
>>I also taught Vocational Automotive Technology for 10 years - mid-'70s to
>>mid-'80s.
>>
>>In that time period, a lot of automotive electronics were introduced.

> Electronic ignition works great, when it works.
>
> If the points got pitted or the condensor shorted,
> I could still get home, but if a sensor coil goes bad,
> it means a tow truck.

Electonic ignition is probably at least 100 times as reliable as points
were. And a failed sensor rarely means you need a tow truck.

> But my favorite engine is the 4100 fuel injected,
> even though it has a bad reputation.

Are you referring to the Caddilac 4100? Good god, I hope not.

> And as soon as E85 is available here, I want to
> convert at least one of the cars to use nothing else but.

So you like spending more to get less? And why would you pay to have a car
converted when there are so many cars on the road already equipped to burn
E85? A lot of them have probably only been filled with E85 once before the
owner found out it cost more to use even though it was cheaper.
Bob

Old September 9th 06, 04:26 AM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,sci.chem
Joe Fischer[_1_]

On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 22:13:43 -0500, "Bob" > wrote:

>"Joe Fischer" > wrote in message
>> Electronic ignition works great, when it works.
>>
>> If the points got pitted or the condensor shorted,
>> I could still get home, but if a sensor coil goes bad,
>> it means a tow truck.

>Electonic ignition is probably at least 100 times as reliable as points
>were.

As long as it works, definitely.

> And a failed sensor rarely means you need a tow truck.

For most cars it does, maybe the new fangled ones
without a distributor are different. :-)

>> But my favorite engine is the 4100 fuel injected,
>> even though it has a bad reputation.

>Are you referring to the Caddilac 4100? Good god, I hope not.

I would gladly trade two 5.0 liter with carbs for
one 4100 same year equal condition.

>> And as soon as E85 is available here, I want to
>> convert at least one of the cars to use nothing else but.

>So you like spending more to get less?

Sometimes. I want to support an industry that
can provide the product forever.

>And why would you pay to have a car
>converted when there are so many cars on the road already equipped to burn
>E85?

Because I like the car I have.

>A lot of them have probably only been filled with E85 once before the
>owner found out it cost more to use even though it was cheaper.
> Bob

At the present price of gas, E85 may not be available
here very soon, so all I can do is talk, or make my own.

Joe Fischer

Old September 9th 06, 06:07 AM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,sci.chem
aarcuda69062

In article >,
Joe Fischer > wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Sep "*" > wrote:
>
> >I also taught Vocational Automotive Technology for 10 years - mid-'70s to
> >mid-'80s.
> >
> >In that time period, a lot of automotive electronics were introduced.

> Electronic ignition works great, when it works.

The whole point of which is that it is orders of magnitude more
reliable than breaker point ignition.

> If the points got pitted or the condensor shorted,
> I could still get home, but if a sensor coil goes bad,
> it means a tow truck.

The first scenario allows for you to continue driving the car,
sputtering and misfiring, fouling the atmosphere. The second
scenario pretty much demands that the condition be corrected 100%
and the vehicle brought back into compliance.

> But my favorite engine is the 4100 fuel injected,
> even though it has a bad reputation.

It has a well earned reputation, unless of course you're
referring to how many children you put thru college by repairing
them. (suspect not)

> And as soon as E85 is available here, I want to
> convert at least one of the cars to use nothing else but.

Why wait? You could simply flush $100 bills down the toilet.
Old September 9th 06, 06:18 AM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,sci.chem
aarcuda69062

In article >,
Joe Fischer > wrote:

> >Electonic ignition is probably at least 100 times as reliable as points
> >were.

> As long as it works, definitely.

Pretty much applies to most parts on a car, no?

> > And a failed sensor rarely means you need a tow truck.

> For most cars it does, maybe the new fangled ones
> without a distributor are different. :-)

New fangled? Cars didn't have distributors before they did.

> >> But my favorite engine is the 4100 fuel injected,
> >> even though it has a bad reputation.

> >Are you referring to the Caddilac 4100? Good god, I hope not.

> I would gladly trade two 5.0 liter with carbs for
> one 4100 same year equal condition.

You must have a fetish for fluid leaks.

> >> And as soon as E85 is available here, I want to
> >> convert at least one of the cars to use nothing else but.

> >So you like spending more to get less?

> Sometimes. I want to support an industry that
> can provide the product forever.

Forever? They can barely get the stuff to the east coast.

> >And why would you pay to have a car
> >converted when there are so many cars on the road already equipped to burn
> >E85?

> Because I like the car I have.

Apparently not.

Old September 9th 06, 06:40 AM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,sci.chem
Joe Fischer[_1_]

On Sat, 09 Sep aarcuda69062 > wrote:

>In article >,
> Joe Fischer > wrote:
>> On Thu, 07 Sep "*" > wrote:
>> >I also taught Vocational Automotive Technology for 10 years - mid-'70s to
>> >mid-'80s.
>> >
>> >In that time period, a lot of automotive electronics were introduced.

>> Electronic ignition works great, when it works.

>The whole point of which is that it is orders of magnitude more
>reliable than breaker point ignition.

I would say so, at least until I would get stuck
100 miles from the nearest place to buy one if it fails.

>> If the points got pitted or the condensor shorted,
>> I could still get home, but if a sensor coil goes bad,
>> it means a tow truck.

>The first scenario allows for you to continue driving the car,
>sputtering and misfiring, fouling the atmosphere.

With over one million acres burning out west,
I should worry about my car smoking?

>The second
>scenario pretty much demands that the condition be corrected 100%
>and the vehicle brought back into compliance.

With a possible $200 towing charge and maybe
a full day or more wait.

>> But my favorite engine is the 4100 fuel injected,
>> even though it has a bad reputation.

>It has a well earned reputation, unless of course you're
>referring to how many children you put thru college by repairing
>them. (suspect not)

Not really, the only rumored problem is the
aluminum block, and I did not have a problem with that.

>> And as soon as E85 is available here, I want to
>> convert at least one of the cars to use nothing else but.

>Why wait? You could simply flush $100 bills down the toilet.

It seems I do that too often, I need to stop.

While others blow money on 64 bit computers
and software for them, I prefer to run a car on E85,
or pure ethanol.

Joe Fischer

Old September 9th 06, 12:00 PM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,sci.chem
*

Joe Fischer > wrote in article
> On Thu, "*" > wrote:
>
> >"Adjusting the timing....." is a Model A Ford approach to space age
> >technology.

> Modern cars have always had centrifugal advance and
> vacuum retardation at higher manifold pressure.
>
> The proper way to time the ignition is to advance it,
> drive the car, and advance some more until it pings (a little)
> on the most aggressive throttle setting.

Again.....Model "A" Ford technology.

I'd LOVE to see you out there adjusting the timing in a car equipped with a
knock detector........

You're posting in the wrong forum..

Try alt.autos.antiques.

Old September 9th 06, 12:10 PM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,sci.chem
*

Joe Fischer > wrote in article
> On Sat, 09 Sep aarcuda69062 > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Joe Fischer > wrote:

mid-'70s to

> >> Electronic ignition works great, when it works.

> >The whole point of which is that it is orders of magnitude more
> >reliable than breaker point ignition.

> I would say so, at least until I would get stuck
> 100 miles from the nearest place to buy one if it fails.

Just try and buy a set of contact points at you FLAPS these days....

I'll take my chances on them having an ignition module in stock over a set
of GM V-8 points.

Old September 9th 06, 12:11 PM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,sci.chem
*

Sponsored by OILY INC. Exxon-Koch >
wrote in article 02>...
> > wrote in
> . com:
>

> California now has 24 operational H2 fueling stations and a governator

who
> is pushing it. There's one bus line driving H2 buses, and numerous
> government cars and light trucks are running H2.

And, people wonder why California is going broke... Amazing!

Old September 9th 06, 01:59 PM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,sci.chem
Eeyore[_1_]

* wrote:

> Joe Fischer > wrote in article
> > On Thu, "*" > wrote:
> >
> > >"Adjusting the timing....." is a Model A Ford approach to space age
> > >technology.

> > Modern cars have always had centrifugal advance and
> > vacuum retardation at higher manifold pressure.
> >
> > The proper way to time the ignition is to advance it,
> > drive the car, and advance some more until it pings (a little)
> > on the most aggressive throttle setting.

> Again.....Model "A" Ford technology.
>
> I'd LOVE to see you out there adjusting the timing in a car equipped with a
> knock detector........
>
> You're posting in the wrong forum..
>
> Try alt.autos.antiques.

Discussion of the applicability of ethanol fuel to 'classic cars' is so far away
from this group's purpose as to be wholly daft it has to be said !

The whole idea of setting timing via a disrtibutor is quite retarded.

Graham

Japanese Make Gasoline From Cattle Dung laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE Driving 9 March 6th 06 02:19 AM
Gasoline reported to "spoil" after only one month in your tank [email protected] Technology 4 September 6th 05 07:08 PM
We're at War - Ration Gasoline! MoPar Man Chrysler 4 August 22nd 05 03:43 AM
Top Tier Fuel Don Stauffer Technology 7 August 4th 05 05:19 AM
Poor Milage linda grommon Dodge 26 March 12th 05 09:58 AM