34milesPerGallon SanDiego2LosAngeles Under80mph

Old July 30th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

Default 34milesPerGallon SanDiego2LosAngeles Under80mph

:

>>>Not all roads in the US have speed limits.

>> Explain what roads do not?

> Any unposted road. The law here is "reasonable and proper unless
> otherwise posted" and a very large number of states follow that rule.

Unfortunately for that idea, here in Pennsylvania if the road is not posted
with a speed limit, the speed limit is deemed to be 35 mph and you *will*
get a ticket if you get caught going faster than that.

Iva & Belle.)
'90B Classic Red.)
#3 winkin' Miata

Old July 30th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Tex[_1_]

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 21:09:41 -0700, XS11E >
wrote:

>Tex > wrote in
>news >

>>>No.

>> Yes.
>>
>> Even more so than a posted one too. Because it's entirely up to
>> law enforement to make the call.

>No, not at all because it's entirely up to YOU to make the call, law
>enforcement becomes involved only if you're driving in an unsafe manner
>such as weaving through traffic, tailgating,etc. They rarely bother
>anyone for speed alone.

To continue this pointless exchange:

Yes, you say rarely....rarely isn't never. Thus, it is in fact a speed
limit, an open ended one and it is never entirely up to the driver to
make the call rather the Cop makes the call or doesn't at their
discretion.

As to the unsafe driving ...that is immaterial as it would/could bring
on involvement whether there is a posted or not posted limit.

In the part of the country I live in ....any open road that isn't
posted is considered to have a 55 mph speed limit...if the limit is
more it's posted and if it less it is posted.

As to rarely's...rarely will they bother you if you are within a
certain unwritten acceptable variation of the limit be it above or
below when it involves speed alone. That doesn't change the fact there
is a speed limit be it posted or not.

Probably the best way to find out and be sure would be to check the
State Vehicle Code of whichever State one is driving in.
Old July 30th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

"Iva" > wrote in :

> "XS11E" > wrote in message

>> Any unposted road. The law here is "reasonable and prudent unless
>> otherwise posted" and a very large number of states follow that
>> rule.
>>

> Unfortunately for that idea, here in Pennsylvania if the road is
> not posted with a speed limit, the speed limit is deemed to be 35
> mph and you *will* get a ticket if you get caught going faster
> than that.

It's 25mph in a park:

§ 11.207. Traffic and parking.
(a) Traffic. The following are prohibited:

(1) Operation of a vehicle on a State park road at a speed in
excess of the posted limit or, where no speed limit is posted, in
excess of 25 miles per hour.

And state forest land:

(b) Operation of motor vehicles on State Forest land in the following
manners is prohibited:

(1) Operation of a motor vehicle in careless disregard for the
safety of persons or property, or in excess of posted speed limits or,
where no speed limit is posted, in excess of 25 miles per hour.

I can't find anything in the statutes that limits speed to 35mph if not
posted, do you have a cite?

Old July 30th 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Tex > wrote in
:

> To continue this pointless exchange:
>
> Yes, you say rarely....rarely isn't never. Thus, it is in fact a
> speed limit

No, your definitions of "speed limit" seems to be unique to you.
Speed limit
n. The maximum speed legally permitted on a given stretch of road.

Speed limit
n : regulation establishing the top speed permitted on a given road

If no maximum speed is established by statute, there is no speed limit.
"Reasonable and prudent" is NOT a speed limit by definition.

> Probably the best way to find out and be sure would be to check
> the State Vehicle Code of whichever State one is driving in.

Correct.

Old July 30th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Tex[_1_]

:

>> To continue this pointless exchange:
>>
>> Yes, you say rarely....rarely isn't never. Thus, it is in fact a
>> speed limit

>No, your definitions of "speed limit" seems to be unique to you.
>================================================= ===============
>Speed limit
>n. The maximum speed legally permitted on a given stretch of road.
>
>Speed limit
>n : regulation establishing the top speed permitted on a given road
>================================================= =================
>
>If no maximum speed is established by statute, there is no speed limit.
>"Reasonable and prudent" is NOT a speed limit by definition.
>
>> Probably the best way to find out and be sure would be to check
>> the State Vehicle Code of whichever State one is driving in.

>Correct.

Thus I wasn't up to date...

There's a distinction between highways as two lanes and divides....

I don't have definitions of my own....I just don't believe because
it's not posted there are no limits on speed...I know the state I live
in posted or not there are limits.

(a) Except as provided in Section 22356, no person may drive a
vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 65 miles per hour.

(b) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no person may drive a
vehicle upon a two-lane, undivided highway at a speed greater than 55
miles per hour unless that highway, or portion thereof, has been
posted for a higher speed by the Department of Transportation or
appropriate local agency upon the basis of an engineering and traffic
survey. For purposes of this subdivision, the following apply:

Like I said ...pointless...and the prize ain't worth winning anyway.
Old July 31st 06, 02:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Tex > wrote in
:

> I don't have definitions of my own....I just don't believe because
> it's not posted there are no limits on speed...I know the state I
> live in posted or not there are limits.

It depends on the state.

> (a) Except as provided in Section 22356, no person may drive a
> vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 65 miles per hour.
>
> (b) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no person may
> drive a vehicle upon a two-lane, undivided highway at a speed
> greater than 55 miles per hour unless that highway, or portion
> thereof, has been posted for a higher speed by the Department of
> Transportation or appropriate local agency upon the basis of an
> engineering and traffic survey. For purposes of this subdivision,
> the following apply:

Your state has speed limits, posted or not. Other states do not.

Old July 31st 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

XS11E > wrote in
:

> Tex > wrote in
> :
>
>> I don't have definitions of my own....I just don't believe
>> because it's not posted there are no limits on speed...I know the
>> state I live in posted or not there are limits.

> It depends on the state.
>
>> (a) Except as provided in Section 22356, no person may drive a
>> vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 65 miles per hour.
>>
>> (b) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no person may
>> drive a vehicle upon a two-lane, undivided highway at a speed
>> greater than 55 miles per hour unless that highway, or portion
>> thereof, has been posted for a higher speed by the Department of
>> Transportation or appropriate local agency upon the basis of an
>> engineering and traffic survey. For purposes of this subdivision,
>> the following apply:

> Your state has speed limits, posted or not. Other states do not.

and I see we now have abandoned the "reasonable and prudent" and
replaced that with a maximum of 85mph. Hmmmmm, it could be that there
aren't any states left w/o speed limits, I'll have to check some
others.

Old July 31st 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Tex[_1_]

:

http://public.findlaw.com/traffic-ti...ding-laws.html
Old July 31st 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Tex[_1_]

wrote:

>and I see we now have abandoned the "reasonable and prudent" and
>replaced that with a maximum of 85mph. Hmmmmm, it could be that there
>aren't any states left w/o speed limits, I'll have to check some
>others.

Way I read it most of the reasonable and prudent states still have
it...along with some max provision too.

http://public.findlaw.com/traffic-ti...-speeding.html

Was interesting (at least to me) reading:

"All 50 states use three basic types of speed limits, called
"absolute," "presumed," and "basic."

When reading this it really explained to me how little one can rely on
posted or not speed limits.
Old July 31st 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Remove This

Oh' great... Just another piece o' paper to carry when I'm roadin...

<--{ Thanks for the great resource }-->

--
I work for the ILEC ...." stuff happens! "

: