Serious off-road traction tires

Old September 8th 04, 10:57 PM
Jim

Default Serious off-road traction tires

I was wondering if anyone had off-road tire recommendations for a 1996
Ford F350 with a 7.3 Diesel.
My application is truthfully all-purpose, but with a very heavy
weight towards off-road mud, steep inclines, and in particular...snow.
I do take the truck to home depot, etc but I couldn't care any less
about road noise, traction, or tire wear on the street. I am most
concerned with off-road performance when I camp in the mountains.
Currently, I have some "Ridge Runner M/S Radial" tires in 285-75R16.
They seem to work okay in axle deep mud, and loose rocks uphill, but I
think they have very poor performance in snow, tending to float on the
top, rather than dig in a bit towards harder snow. Mind you, I don't
want a skinny tire to dig all the way in...some of this snow is really
deep!
Recently I was trying to go up a short run of about 50 degree slope
at somewhat of an angle. I couldn't get the traction needed even on
that dry ground with these tires, and a run-up was out of the question
on the tight trail.
I may be pushing the limits of a wheeled vehicle with some of this,
but I think better tires will make a marked improvement.
The Michelin XL 'looks' like it would grab in most anything, but I
can't find anybody with any experience with them.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jim
Old September 9th 04, 01:44 AM
The Ancient One

"Jim" > wrote in message
om...
> I was wondering if anyone had off-road tire recommendations for a 1996
> Ford F350 with a 7.3 Diesel.
> My application is truthfully all-purpose, but with a very heavy
> weight towards off-road mud, steep inclines, and in particular...snow.
> I do take the truck to home depot, etc but I couldn't care any less
> about road noise, traction, or tire wear on the street. I am most
> concerned with off-road performance when I camp in the mountains.
> Currently, I have some "Ridge Runner M/S Radial" tires in 285-75R16.
> They seem to work okay in axle deep mud, and loose rocks uphill, but I
> think they have very poor performance in snow, tending to float on the
> top, rather than dig in a bit towards harder snow. Mind you, I don't
> want a skinny tire to dig all the way in...some of this snow is really
> deep!
> Recently I was trying to go up a short run of about 50 degree slope
> at somewhat of an angle. I couldn't get the traction needed even on
> that dry ground with these tires, and a run-up was out of the question
> on the tight trail.
> I may be pushing the limits of a wheeled vehicle with some of this,
> but I think better tires will make a marked improvement.
> The Michelin XL 'looks' like it would grab in most anything, but I
> can't find anybody with any experience with them.
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

Ok, I gotta throw this in. I'm dieing to try a set someday, drawback is on
highway use.
http://www.mattracks.com/

Old September 9th 04, 02:07 AM
Roger Brown

Jim wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone had off-road tire recommendations for a 1996
> Ford F350 with a 7.3 Diesel.
> My application is truthfully all-purpose, but with a very heavy
> weight towards off-road mud, steep inclines, and in particular...snow.
> I do take the truck to home depot, etc but I couldn't care any less
> about road noise, traction, or tire wear on the street. I am most
> concerned with off-road performance when I camp in the mountains.
> Currently, I have some "Ridge Runner M/S Radial" tires in 285-75R16.
> They seem to work okay in axle deep mud, and loose rocks uphill, but I
> think they have very poor performance in snow, tending to float on the
> top, rather than dig in a bit towards harder snow. Mind you, I don't
> want a skinny tire to dig all the way in...some of this snow is really
> deep!
> Recently I was trying to go up a short run of about 50 degree slope
> at somewhat of an angle. I couldn't get the traction needed even on
> that dry ground with these tires, and a run-up was out of the question
> on the tight trail.
> I may be pushing the limits of a wheeled vehicle with some of this,
> but I think better tires will make a marked improvement.
> The Michelin XL 'looks' like it would grab in most anything, but I
> can't find anybody with any experience with them.
> Any suggestions?

BFG AllTerrain or MudTerrain or Goodyear MT/R would be some good
choices.
Old September 9th 04, 05:58 AM
Carl Saiyed

I have 31" BFG all-terrain T/A's. I am very impressed with mud traction,
but they do not fair as well as I'd like in the snow, but they will get
me thru. I would reccomend BFG Mud-Terrain T/A's for your application.

HTH

Carl

om...

Old September 9th 04, 09:05 AM

> Jim wrote:
> > I couldn't care any less about road noise, traction, or tire wear
> > on the street. I am most concerned with off-road performance [..]

For mud, I think that the conventional wisdom is that TSL Boggers
are the best choise. That is, if being street legal is all you
require for your on-road performance. Super Swamper TSL is slightly
worse in mud, but better on-road. Super Swampers are still excellent
mud tires beating the competition handsomly, afaik. Expensive though.

> > They seem to work okay in axle deep mud, and loose rocks uphill, but I
> > think they have very poor performance in snow, tending to float on the
> > top, rather than dig in a bit towards harder snow. Mind you, I don't
> > want a skinny tire to dig all the way in...some of this snow is really
> > deep!

Flotation vs cut through, ie thick vs thin tyre, for snow is a
difficult matter, and the best choise depends on the actual snow
conditions. And these, of course, change all the time. I'm afraid
I don't know how different mud terrain type patterns compare in
snow (eg Bogger vs Swamper in particular).

Tyre height is a much simpler matter - get the tallest ones that
fits the vehicle (in all suspension positions) - and lift the
vehicle for fitting even taller ones. Getting the axles up helps a
lot in snow in particular. Portal axles would be great...

Whatever tyres you choose, serious off-road snow chains help. And
they're useful in mud too. Also, getting the tyres studded helps
on slippery surfaces, especially when not using the chains.

Of course, 100% diff locks fornt and rear, winch, hi-lift and all
the other usual recovery tools are required for serious mud and
snow.

Yet the fact remains that a truck, even with large low pressure
tyres, usually has too high ground pressure for travel on deep
snow. That's why there are snow machines... Real bogs too will
effectively stop about any wheeled vehicle.

Roger Brown >
> BFG AllTerrain or MudTerrain or Goodyear MT/R would be some good
> choices.

AllTerrains are a far cry from mudterrain type tyres. As I understood
it, Jim wasn't looking for an on/off road compromize. BFG Mudterrains
are probably good value tyres, but really aren't in the same league
as the much more expensive Super Swampers or Boggers. Not in grip,
but in particular, the sidewall strenght of BFG M/T's leaves a lot
to be desired.
Old September 9th 04, 03:29 PM
THE BIG GUY

Old September 9th 04, 07:49 PM
asaaaa

there is only 1 choice *SIMEX* yes i said SIMEX they will cost ya but
ooo there good and not a remould!!!!!!!

just look at the rfc (http://www.rainforest-challenge.com) Simex
4x4 tyres were fitted to 80% of the 78 4x4s

http://www.off-road.ru/technics/images/opt_jt2_prp.jpg

--
asaaaa
asaaaa's Profile: http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/member.php?userid=205

Old September 10th 04, 12:26 AM
Mike Romain

I off road a lot and run BFG muds on my CJ7 and BFG AT's on my Cherokee.

Both are decent, but when it comes to snow and mud, the BFG 33x9.5 muds
just shine!

Lots of folks laugh at my tall skinny tires... once..... Then they sit
there with their jaws open trying and trying to get to where I am taking
photos of them trying and trying to follow me.

The tall skinny tires don't spin so I leave tread marks through the mud
and snow and up sand pit walls while all the folks with big fat tires
leave rooster tail marks.

Another Jeep with lockers front and rear and 12.5" muds can 'almost'
keep up to me with my open diffs on winter runs. He usually only has to
take one or two runs at the hills to get up there.

If you look at the folks that work in the bush, you will see tall skinny
tires on the trucks that 'have' to be there, not just joyride.

My $0.02,

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old September 10th 04, 12:49 AM
HarryS

Mike you are correct, tall and skinny are the best in snow, running
235/78-16 on my 4x4 ram with an aggressive tread. I through some real tough
snow and my buds still haven't figured out wider isn't better when it comes
to snow. I am running the stock 30" Goodyear's that came with my 04 TJ and
they are good in the mud, sand and general purpose off road stuff but pale
by comparison to the rams tires and traction in snow.

HarryS

Old September 10th 04, 12:21 PM
Scotty

Id go for COOPERS , I use the stt's never go back to anything else and very
strong.

Have a look at http://www.coopertires.com.au/tyres/stt.htm

"Jim" > wrote in message
om...
> I was wondering if anyone had off-road tire recommendations for a 1996
> Ford F350 with a 7.3 Diesel.
> My application is truthfully all-purpose, but

Run Flat tire question H and A Corvette 36 January 16th 05 01:56 PM
traction control adder BMW 1 November 3rd 04 05:42 PM
Wrangler TJ Tire axle gearing Questions Derek Proctor 4x4 6 June 3rd 04 02:28 PM
Tires or Shocks causing jarring Jeffrey A. Heitert 4x4 0 December 15th 03 10:43 AM