F1 Challenge 99-02: Odd brakes overheating problem?

Old March 23rd 06, 08:08 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default F1 Challenge 99-02: Odd brakes overheating problem?

Suddenly after some years with F1 Challenge 99-02in every
race/training/QF my brakes start to overheat after 2-3 laps and a couple
of laps later they are completely gone.

Car setups have not been modified (brake duct size 2/3).

Could the problem be my Microsoft Wheel (non-force) related?

I had to reinstall the software a few days back and there has been some
problems (but not right away) since like:

a) Car is definitely more restless (lap times are not that much affected
but I must drive more carefully and there is a lot of noise coming from
the wheels

b) Controller settings sometimes show "braking" even no pedal is pressed
- this probably is the reason. Re-calibrating does not seem to help.

Anyone had same problems?

Thanks for any suggestions/wheel settings to this problem!

..mikko

Old March 23rd 06, 09:09 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Mikko Ämmälä" > wrote in message
> Suddenly after some years with F1 Challenge 99-02in every race/training/QF
> my brakes start to overheat after 2-3 laps and a couple of laps later they
> are completely gone.
>
> Car setups have not been modified (brake duct size 2/3).
>
> Could the problem be my Microsoft Wheel (non-force) related?
>
> I had to reinstall the software a few days back and there has been some
> problems (but not right away) since like:
>
> a) Car is definitely more restless (lap times are not that much affected
> but I must drive more carefully and there is a lot of noise coming from
> the wheels
>
> b) Controller settings sometimes show "braking" even no pedal is pressed -
> this probably is the reason. Re-calibrating does not seem to help.
>
> Anyone had same problems?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions/wheel settings to this problem!
>
> .mikko

Had some similar problems a while back with my Momo force that turned out to
be a loose pot mount that had enough slack that sometimes the pot would not
return to its zero position.
Interim solution was to use DxTweak2 (this is for XP systems) to tune out
the problem area. Ultimate solution required pedal unit disassembly to
anchor the pot properly

Dave

Old March 23rd 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Dave Erb" > wrote in
:

> "Mikko Ämmälä" > wrote in message
>> Suddenly after some years with F1 Challenge 99-02in every
>> race/training/QF my brakes start to overheat after 2-3 laps and a
>> couple of laps later they are completely gone.
>>
>> Car setups have not been modified (brake duct size 2/3).
>>
>> Could the problem be my Microsoft Wheel (non-force) related?
>>
>> I had to reinstall the software a few days back and there has been
>> some problems (but not right away) since like:
>>
>> a) Car is definitely more restless (lap times are not that much
>> affected but I must drive more carefully and there is a lot of noise
>> coming from the wheels
>>
>> b) Controller settings sometimes show "braking" even no pedal is
>> pressed - this probably is the reason. Re-calibrating does not seem
>> to help.
>>
>> Anyone had same problems?
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions/wheel settings to this problem!
>>
>> .mikko
>>

> Had some similar problems a while back with my Momo force that turned
> out to be a loose pot mount that had enough slack that sometimes the
> pot would not return to its zero position.
> Interim solution was to use DxTweak2 (this is for XP systems) to tune
> out the problem area. Ultimate solution required pedal unit
> disassembly to anchor the pot properly
>
> Dave

Try adding some deadzone to your brake controller axis. Also with any
logitech wheel, here are some tips they 'MAY' apply to MS..who knows?.
Calibrate in windows. Calibrate in game. Then EVERY time you leave the
garage, give your wheel and pedals a full travel shakedown. Move the
wheel back and forth over the entire range of movement. Logitech drivers
include a self centering mechanism. Repeat for both pedals. Fully
depress
and release each. Do this in the pits...on the starting grid...whenever
you go 'on track'
Those may not help since they are pointed at Momo wheels, but heck,
it can't hurt.
You also might want to load up a mod that has cars with brake lights.
you can then drive around in the arcade view and observe if your lights
are lit up all the time. Keep adding deadzone until they stop.
Then check your lcd screens, one will show brake temps....the brakes
should not heat up while just moving forward(say from the pits) but if
the temps start to climb before you ever touch the brake pedal...then you
know the deadzone is not big enough yet.
(the other) dave

dave henrie
Old March 23rd 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Dave Henrie wrote:
> "Dave Erb" > wrote in
> :
>

>>"Mikko Ämmälä" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Suddenly after some years with F1 Challenge 99-02in every
>>>race/training/QF my brakes start to overheat after 2-3 laps and a
>>>couple of laps later they are completely gone.
>>>
>>>Car setups have not been modified (brake duct size 2/3).
>>>
>>>Could the problem be my Microsoft Wheel (non-force) related?
>>>
>>>I had to reinstall the software a few days back and there has been
>>>some problems (but not right away) since like:
>>>
>>>a) Car is definitely more restless (lap times are not that much
>>>affected but I must drive more carefully and there is a lot of noise
>>>coming from the wheels
>>>
>>>b) Controller settings sometimes show "braking" even no pedal is
>>>pressed - this probably is the reason. Re-calibrating does not seem
>>>to help.
>>>
>>>Anyone had same problems?
>>>
>>>Thanks for any suggestions/wheel settings to this problem!
>>>
>>>.mikko
>>>

>>Had some similar problems a while back with my Momo force that turned
>>out to be a loose pot mount that had enough slack that sometimes the
>>pot would not return to its zero position.
>>Interim solution was to use DxTweak2 (this is for XP systems) to tune
>>out the problem area. Ultimate solution required pedal unit
>>disassembly to anchor the pot properly
>>
>>Dave
>>

> Try adding some deadzone to your brake controller axis. Also with any
> logitech wheel, here are some tips they 'MAY' apply to MS..who knows?.
> Calibrate in windows. Calibrate in game. Then EVERY time you leave the
> garage, give your wheel and pedals a full travel shakedown. Move the
> wheel back and forth over the entire range of movement. Logitech drivers
> include a self centering mechanism. Repeat for both pedals. Fully
> depress
> and release each. Do this in the pits...on the starting grid...whenever
> you go 'on track'
> Those may not help since they are pointed at Momo wheels, but heck,
> it can't hurt.
> You also might want to load up a mod that has cars with brake lights.
> you can then drive around in the arcade view and observe if your lights
> are lit up all the time. Keep adding deadzone until they stop.
> Then check your lcd screens, one will show brake temps....the brakes
> should not heat up while just moving forward(say from the pits) but if
> the temps start to climb before you ever touch the brake pedal...then you
> know the deadzone is not big enough yet.
> (the other) dave
>

> dave henrie

Thanks. It was deadzone related problem!

..mikko

The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
Overheating problem '97 TJ Endo Jeep 12 July 20th 05 03:27 AM
Problem starting car - No spark The Outlander Ford Mustang 11 July 20th 05 01:35 AM
Overheating problem resolved Chris D'Agnolo BMW 0 January 20th 05 02:12 AM
96 Sentra... Need advice on overheating problem Al Kondo Technology 3 December 30th 04 10:15 PM