Thinking about a hardtop.

Old February 20th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Thinking about a hardtop.

On 2006-02-20, Frank Berger > wrote:

>> Because driving with a hardtop is so much nicer than driving
>> with the soft-top up, that the only reason I could imagine for
>> not wanting a hardtop is that you never need to put up the soft
>> top.

> One good reason is not having to take it off and put it on.
> Another is the cost. I realize both those things are less of
> a concern with an extended winter.

I probably wouldn't bother if I lived somewhere warmer. When
you don't have a chance to put the top down for a 3-4 months at
a time, the noise and limited visibility of the softop gets
pretty tiring. Though there were a couple days in the 40's not
long ago that could have been top-down days -- at least for a
few hours in the afternoon.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Everywhere I look
at I see NEGATIVITY and
Old February 20th 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
"Frank Berger" > wrote:

> One good reason is not having to take it off and put it on.

Works for me. Every week or two, temps here climb into the 50s, even in
January. Taking a short top-down drive is a wonderful morale boost in
winter. If I had a hardtop, I would probably miss many of these
opportunities--futzing with the roof would be too much bother. Then
there are days that start out too chilly for top-down motoring, but warm
up on the return trip. With a HT, I'd either pass up the joy, or come
back later to retrieve the roof. No thanks.

My lower limit is 40F, but it's rare that the top stays up longer than
two weeks running. If I'd wanted a coupe, I'd have bought a different
car.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old February 20th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On 2006-02-20, Zog The Undeniable > wrote:
> Leon van Dommelen wrote:
>
>> Thank you for this lesson in aerodynamics. One learns
>> something new each day, doesn't one?

> Well, not everyone knows this...most people think having a
> pointy front end is all that matters.

And unless you're talking super-sonic speeds, the pointy end
really belongs in the _back_.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Hello. Just walk
at along and try NOT to think
Old February 20th 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Lanny Chambers" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Frank Berger" > wrote:
>
>> One good reason is not having to take it off and put it on.

> Works for me. Every week or two, temps here climb into the 50s, even in
> January. Taking a short top-down drive is a wonderful morale boost in
> winter. If I had a hardtop, I would probably miss many of these
> opportunities--futzing with the roof would be too much bother. Then
> there are days that start out too chilly for top-down motoring, but warm
> up on the return trip. With a HT, I'd either pass up the joy, or come
> back later to retrieve the roof. No thanks.
>
> My lower limit is 40F, but it's rare that the top stays up longer than
> two weeks running. If I'd wanted a coupe, I'd have bought a different
> car.

My sentiments exactly.

Old February 20th 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On 2006-02-20, Frank Berger > wrote:

>> My lower limit is 40F, but it's rare that the top stays up longer than
>> two weeks running. If I'd wanted a coupe, I'd have bought a different
>> car.

> My sentiments exactly.

In Minnesota, you've got a coupe 3-4 months out of the year
whether you want one or not. A hardtop at least turns a Miata
into a tolerable one.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! TATTOOED MIDGETS
at are using ALFREDO in their
Old February 20th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 21:20:34 GMT, Lanny Chambers
> wrote:

>If I'd wanted a coupe, I'd have bought a different
>car.

If I buy another hardtop I'll bolt it on instead of using the
latches...if I wanted to be in the open I'd jog or get a bike.

Old February 21st 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Grant Edwards" > wrote in message
> On 2006-02-20, Frank Berger > wrote:
>
>>> My lower limit is 40F, but it's rare that the top stays up longer than
>>> two weeks running. If I'd wanted a coupe, I'd have bought a different
>>> car.

>> My sentiments exactly.

> In Minnesota, you've got a coupe 3-4 months out of the year
> whether you want one or not. A hardtop at least turns a Miata
> into a tolerable one.

Alright already, we get it.

Old February 21st 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Frank Berger wrote:

> Alright already, we get it.

Yes, how dare he talk about driving miatas in different climates. The
very nerve of talking about such things on a miata newsgroup.

You might want to watch the use of that term "we".

"I" think that you are a complete asshole, but "I" would never say that
"we" think you are an asshole, because "I" do not take it upon myself to
speak for others the way that you have in your statement above.

Pat
Old February 21st 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

I have a hardtop for my 1990 Miata. I bought it with the car about
eight years ago.

In answer to your questions below, I find there is less noise with the
hardtop in place, by comparison with having the softtop up. It's very easy
to remove and put in place. The main thing is to be careful to avoid
scratching the paint, particularly in back. The handbook says that the
hardtop should be installed and removed by two people, but I have no
difficulty in doing it by myself. During the summer I store the hardtop in
my Public Storage unit, which is upstairs. The hardtop is a little heavy --
perhaps about 60 pounds -- but I don't have much difficulty in carrying it
up the stairs and along the corridor to my storage unit. I am aware of no
difference in the handling of the car, nor does the hardtop affect the
headroom.

You'll want to consider where you would keep the hardtop when you're not
using it. I don't have a garage, and I used to keep mine in my basement
until I had the basement finished. Finding a place for the hardtop was a
major factor in my decision to rent a storage unit.

I very much like having the hardtop, which is very convenient during the
winter and which I think helps to extend the life of the softtop. Since my
car is getting a little long in the tooth and has about 150,000 miles on it,
I am thinking of getting a newer Miata. However, I never seem to see any
advertised with hardtops.

Old February 21st 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"pws" > wrote in message
> Frank Berger wrote:
>
>> Alright already, we get it.

> Yes, how dare he talk about driving miatas in different climates. The very
> nerve of talking about such things on a miata newsgroup.
>
> You might want to watch the use of that term "we".

You DON'T get it?