'(@ Eddie....Can it do it?

Old June 14th 05, 05:57 AM
John Riggs

Default '(@ Eddie....Can it do it?

I apparently have to make an emergency drive from Nebraska to Florida to
pick up my horse. Since I have a '92 EB and it only has the factory bumper
hitch, will that be safe enough to pull a two horse trailer 2400 miles? I
dragged my old Bronco II behind me farther than that with no problems, but
that was using a tow bar, so not tongue weight.
I need answers pretty quick guys.

Thanks

Old June 14th 05, 05:29 PM
Ulysses

If you weren't a regular poster here I'd think you were a troll.

As long as the two horses aren't in it...

news:1118721002.94eef2b0df2df625eedee8822fe83267@b ubbanews...

Old June 14th 05, 07:09 PM
Hairy

"John Riggs" > wrote in message
news:1118721002.94eef2b0df2df625eedee8822fe83267@b ubbanews...
> I apparently have to make an emergency drive from Nebraska to Florida

> pick up my horse. Since I have a '92 EB and it only has the factory bumper
> hitch, will that be safe enough to pull a two horse trailer 2400 miles? I
> dragged my old Bronco II behind me farther than that with no problems, but
> that was using a tow bar, so not tongue weight.
> I need answers pretty quick guys.
>
> Thanks

I used a clean 2 horse trailer to move in '93. Pulled it with my '90 S-10
Blazer 4x4. I was VERY glad I only had to go 30 miles.

Old June 15th 05, 05:37 AM
John Riggs

So ..... going ahead and putting that Class III hitch on today was a
good money spent then. I won't feel so bad.
For what it's worth, the horse only weighs a thousand pounds. Arabians
aren't heavy horses.

Old June 15th 05, 05:52 AM
John Riggs

That was kinda what I thought. Why would you think anyone asking such a
question was a troll? It's a good question. I personally prefer a class III
receiver hitch, but I am still trying to understand ford's thinking on
putting only class II hitches on the Explorers.

Old June 15th 05, 06:24 AM
Hairy

"John Riggs" > wrote in message
> That was kinda what I thought. Why would you think anyone asking such

> question was a troll? It's a good question. I personally prefer a class

III
> receiver hitch, but I am still trying to understand ford's thinking on
> putting only class II hitches on the Explorers.

Probably because towing anything that requires a class III is beyond the
limits for an Explorer. They are not known for being good tow vehicles.
Especially when the weight of the trailer and load equal that of the
Explorer. I don't envy you this trip.

Old June 15th 05, 08:28 AM
John Riggs

I'm getting too old top make these trips. I think with the class III it
will be a breeze. I've pulled larger, heavier trailers with the Bronco II
and it only had the 2.8L motor in it. Of course, it also had the 5 speed
manual tranny and not an auto. The Ex has a slightly more powerful engine,
but I wonder if it can take all the high revs for extended periods going up
mountains like the Bronco II did ( I beat that poor truck to a pulp and it
ran perfectly for 12 years before I gave it to my buddy who now drives it
daily in a similar manner. Do those things ever die? )

Old June 15th 05, 06:01 PM
Ulysses

"John Riggs" > wrote in message
> That was kinda what I thought. Why would you think anyone asking such

> question was a troll? It's a good question. I personally prefer a class

III
> receiver hitch, but I am still trying to understand ford's thinking on
> putting only class II hitches on the Explorers.

It just sounded like the kind of question a troll might post, or right on
the verge thereof.

But seriously if the trailer is empty then you might be able to get away
with it. If you look around you will probably not see any horses being
pulled by anything less than a GMC 2500 or F250. I'm no expert on horse
trailers but all the one's I've noticed had gooseneck hitches. Are you just
trying to move an empty horse trailer or do you plan to have something in
it?

I have towed a boat on a trailer with a total weight of about 3500 pounds
with my Explorer with no problem but that was with a Class III hitch. OTOH
I pulled the same boat and trailer with an '82 Toyota 3/4 ton pickup with a
bumper hitch (ball installed in the bumper). It was OK but I never tried
taking up any mountain roads. The Explorer, of course, has a lot more
power.

Generally you should distribute your load so you get about ten percent of
the weight on your hitch. So if your trailer/load weighs 3000 pounds you
should have about 300 pounds on the hitch. That seems like that's probably
about at the limit (what does the owner's manual say?) for a bumper hitch.
I think it's around 500 pounds for a Class III.

Old June 16th 05, 04:25 AM
John Riggs

Well, I will be going down with an empty trailer, but I'll be coming
back with about 1,000 pounds of horse. What you are telling me is/was my gut
feeling, so I figured I could haul it with the bumper hitch, it was the
loaded trailer I had queezy feelings about. The class III I installed says
it's rated for 500 pounds tongue weight and 5,000 towing weight (6,000 if I
were to use a weight distributing hitch which I don't have ). I figure that
ought to safely haul it.

"Ulysses" > wrote in message

| "John Riggs" > wrote in message
| > That was kinda what I thought. Why would you think anyone asking
such
| > question was a troll? It's a good question. I personally prefer a class
| III
| > receiver hitch, but I am still trying to understand ford's thinking on
| > putting only class II hitches on the Explorers.
|
| It just sounded like the kind of question a troll might post, or right on
| the verge thereof.
|
| But seriously if the trailer is empty then you might be able to get away
| with it. If you look around you will probably not see any horses being
| pulled by anything less than a GMC 2500 or F250. I'm no expert on horse
| trailers but all the one's I've noticed had gooseneck hitches. Are you
just
| trying to move an empty horse trailer or do you plan to have something in
| it?
|
| I have towed a boat on a trailer with a total weight of about 3500 pounds
| with my Explorer with no problem but that was with a Class III hitch.
OTOH
| I pulled the same boat and trailer with an '82 Toyota 3/4 ton pickup with
| bumper hitch (ball installed in the bumper). It was OK but I never tried
| taking up any mountain roads. The Explorer, of course, has a lot more
| power.
|
| Generally you should distribute your load so you get about ten percent of
| the weight on your hitch. So if your trailer/load weighs 3000 pounds you
| should have about 300 pounds on the hitch. That seems like that's
probably
| about at the limit (what does the owner's manual say?) for a bumper hitch.
| I think it's around 500 pounds for a Class III.
|

| > "Ulysses" > wrote in message
| > | If you weren't a regular poster here I'd think you were a troll.
| > |

Old June 16th 05, 06:02 PM
Ulysses

"John Riggs" > wrote in message
> Well, I will be going down with an empty trailer, but I'll be coming
> back with about 1,000 pounds of horse. What you are telling me is/was my

gut
> feeling, so I figured I could haul it with the bumper hitch, it was the
> loaded trailer I had queezy feelings about. The class III I installed says
> it's rated for 500 pounds tongue weight and 5,000 towing weight (6,000 if

> were to use a weight distributing hitch which I don't have ). I figure

that
> ought to safely haul it.

My experience with towing trailers is that just because you can doesn't
necessarily mean you should. I was towing a 22 foot travel trailer with an
Astro Van. It was well within the limits of the van but my knuckles were
always white and I was nervous as hell driving the rig. I bought an old
F350 (maybe a little overkill) and from then on it I had to remember that I
had a trailer behind me and my adventures became fun again. Towing right at
the limit of the tow vehicle can be fine as long as nothing goes wrong, but
there's always some bonehead who wants to merge between your tow vehicle and
your trailer or some idiot who cuts in front of you and hits the brakes.
In your case I would be especially cautious because you will have a living
being back there.

Before I started towing I used to drive "one car length for every 10 mph"
behind the car in front of me. Now, even when I'm not towing, I follow
about one quarter mile behind. I usually follow a big truck because most
people don't want to be behind trucks so it greatly reduces the number of
cars cutting in front of me.

One more thing I just want to mention is sometimes a little more than 10% on
the hitch can improve handling of the tow vehicle and trailer (assuming you
can do this without exceeding the limit of your hitch). I adjusted all the
stuff in my boat to get it around 15% and it just felt better driving it.
Of course you would need to get your horse to cooperate ;-) Also, is it
possible to get one horse in the middle of a two-horse trailer? It may
improve handling if you don't have all the weight on one side.