VW Cruise Control Aircooled part ZVW 201 701

Old June 15th 05, 12:27 AM
Vdub144

Default VW Cruise Control Aircooled part ZVW 201 701

Please don't harrass me with the "brick on the pedal" thing. This isn't
that.

I picked up a circa 1970s (packing list dated 72, owners manual dated
76) ccCool Volkswagen Products Corp., Fort Worth Texas made "cruise
control" for 70-74 VW NIB. Under the ccCool logo, it says "a Division
of VPC" and the very spartan manual carries a part number VPL 500 102A.

It carries part number ZVW 201 701 and was boxed similar to other 3rd
party dealer installed accessories of the period. I know it is
authentic. It also carries full VW logo regalia and packing list.

My friend and mechanic says he saw one of these once installed in a 71
Ghia - but that was the only time. So I know there were others out
there.

I can find no other references here in RAMVW or elsewhere on the net.
In fact, most RAMVW responses to other people's posts have been most
unhelpful - like "use a brick" or "why would you want cruise in a bug?"
So, I'm NOT looking for that kind of response.

Does anyone else have one of these? If so, what can you tell me about
it? This is unfortunately missing the "resume switch / ZVW 201 763" but
otherwise seems to be complete. (So if you have one - I need it!)

At least for the short term, you can see a picture of the item he
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7974443882

Thanks in advance for all those out there that can provide help!!!

Old June 15th 05, 02:39 AM

I had one but it was many years ago. My second car was a '74 Thing and
I bought the cruise control unit from J.C Whitney I think. Must have
been because this was 1978 or 9 and Whitney was all I ever remember
dealing with. I don't remember it having a resume feature.

As I recall it worked just fine and was a fairly easy install. I didn't
do that much highway driving, guess I just wanted it 'cause it was
cool, but it worked and I belive it would even kick off if you pressed
in the clutch while it was engaged. Not by a switch, just a rev limiter
type thing.

Good luck,
<><
TC

Old June 15th 05, 04:03 AM
Vdub144

Thanks TC - that helps encourage me that there were others out there.
(Mine is a 73 Thing I've had since 90. Has ~35K on it now.)

This was genuine VW (third party obviously rebranded by VWoA). The
"resume" switch is actually the whole control/UI. Basically
"set/off/resume" from what I can tell. It clipped on the turn signal
arm.

It also says in the manual that you must disengage the cruise before
pressing the clutch, or over-reving may occur. So this doesn't seem to
have that same rev-limiter.

I hope some other folks out here remember having them! Thanks again!