Brake Lights

Old February 23rd 07, 01:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jacob

Default Brake Lights

My 1995 XLT Explorer's brake lights don't work. The upper brake light above
the rear window does work. I checked the owner's manual, and looked for the
fuse, and checked it, and it looks ok to me. Any suggestions about why this
could be? If one brake light is out would the other be out too? Seems hard
to believe that both bulbs would burn out at the same time. Thanks for your
help.

Old February 23rd 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jacob

one more thing -- maybe I didn't check the right fuse -- it wasn't 100%
clear in the manual which fuse was which.

Old February 24th 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Art McClinton

The fuse would be for all three lights. Either you have a wiring problem or
both lower lights are burned out. You did not say if you have tried to
replace one of the lights with a known good bulb. Do the flashers/turn
signal work? how about normal rear lights? Since bulbs normally last a
similar amount of time, I normally replace both when the first one burns
out.

Art

Old February 25th 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jacob

Thanks for your reply. I guess I was pretty stupid, but I thought that it
couldn't be the bulb since both went out at the same time! I took it to a
mechanic and he changed the bulbs and now it's fine. He told me that it's
very common that when one burns out, there's a voltage jump and the other
burns out at the same instant. Now I know!

third brake lights sawstop Driving 8 September 16th 06 01:34 AM
Brake Lights MJD BMW 5 March 14th 06 10:02 PM
Brake lights, door lights and trunk light come on [email protected] Honda 1 April 18th 05 10:26 PM
Brake lights fail / tails lights on permanently [email protected] Alfa Romeo 2 April 6th 05 01:51 PM
Brake Lights [email protected] BMW 15 October 14th 04 07:17 PM