Two hours labor to replace PCM ('98 V8)?

Old February 17th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Happy Traveler

Default Two hours labor to replace PCM ('98 V8)?

An internal problem in the PCM that causes an intermittent +380 deg intake
air temperature reading has been driving me nuts for a year. Took a good
look inside the box: no obvious failed solder joints, cracked capacitors or
signs of moisture. With neither documentation nor parts available, it sadly
has to go.
So yesterday I visited the nearest Ford dealership (the one where the
service writers have marble desktops and huge plasma TVs hanging behind them
on the wall). They quoted $360 for the PCM. I can almost understand that
part -- the discounted online price is about $250. The labor quote was 2
hours (at $125/hour). I know that the PCM must be programmed with whatever
the newest revision of the software is and PATS codes must be transferred
from the old unit. Even found out that the PATS programming software imposes
a mandatory ten minute 'security delay'. But two hours??? Would any of you,
Ford techs please confirm this? Thanks a bunch!

8.5 hours to replace windshield rubber gasket? Pete[_2_] BMW 22 November 14th 06 02:17 AM
Labor time to replace 2002 rear wheel bearings HerkyJerky Ford Explorer 1 February 15th 06 03:44 AM
Labor cost Seeker Technology 15 November 22nd 05 07:09 PM
$ 567.00 for ten minutes labor !?!?!?!?! Michael J. Delaglio Ford Mustang 22 October 17th 05 11:25 PM
Labor day Trip Billy Ray Jeep 5 August 7th 05 04:47 PM