What parts do I need to change theTiming Belt on my '98 (4 cyl) Odyssey?

Old October 6th 06, 05:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Gordon McGrew[_1_]

Default What parts do I need to change theTiming Belt on my '98 (4 cyl) Odyssey?

The car only has 75K on it but it is eight years old. I am going to
have my mechanic do it but he suggested that I get the parts and ask
the parts counter what they recommend changing. He wasn't sure if the
idler pulley should be changed, for example. I have never heard of
people doing that on Hondas. I was thinking that I need the
following:

Timing Belt
Balance Shaft Belt
Water Pump
Coolant

Any thoughts?

Old October 6th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Michael Pardee

"Gordon McGrew" > wrote in message

> The car only has 75K on it but it is eight years old. I am going to
> have my mechanic do it but he suggested that I get the parts and ask
> the parts counter what they recommend changing. He wasn't sure if the
> idler pulley should be changed, for example. I have never heard of
> people doing that on Hondas. I was thinking that I need the
> following:
>
> Timing Belt
> Balance Shaft Belt
> Water Pump
> Coolant
>
> Any thoughts?

That sounds good to me. The idler(s) may need to be changed, but it is much
more a mileage issue than a year issue and I'd expect it to be in decent
shape after 75K miles. By the next timing belt change the idlers (yours has
one for the timing belt and one for the balance, IIRC) will probably sound
like cheap roller skate wheels and will need to be changed so they don't
seize and burn through the belt from the back. They are expensive enough
that you don't want to buy them if you don't have to.

Some recommend changing the crank and cam front seals, since they are right
there. At 75K miles that seems like overkill. But definitely do the water
pump, because if it seizes it will destroy the timing belt and there will be
wailing and gnashing of teeth... yours.

Replacing the thermostat with an OEM thermostat is a good thing while
changing the coolant. But even an old OEM like the one you have now is
better than a new aftermarket 'stat.

A couple good resources are http://tegger.com/hondafaq/cranktool/index.html
and http://tegger.com/hondafaq/engines.html#beltmark

Mike

Old October 6th 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
jim beam

TeGGeR® wrote:
> (Gordon McGrew) wrote in
> :
>
>> The car only has 75K on it but it is eight years old. I am going to
>> have my mechanic do it but he suggested that I get the parts and ask
>> the parts counter what they recommend changing. He wasn't sure if the
>> idler pulley should be changed, for example. I have never heard of
>> people doing that on Hondas. I was thinking that I need the
>> following:
>>
>> Timing Belt
>> Balance Shaft Belt
>> Water Pump
>> Coolant
>>

> Yes to all the above. Use Honda coolant.
>

> Replace the idler pulleys every second belt change. If leaving the exisint
> one, confirm its condition by wiggling and spinning it.

got to be careful here... a new tensioner pulley has a little play in
it, so if the op is thinking of replacing the pulley on the basis that
it feels loose, they could be wasting their money. replace on mileage -
not necessary this time around.

> While you're in there, check the crank and cam seals for weepage.

weepage is normal and healthy. leakage, i.e. where oil is running out,
is not.

> They're
> cheap and easy to replace. If they're leaking, now is the time to swap
> them.

i personally favor not replacing them unless they actually leak.
instead, use of a quality motor oil that contains seal conditioners can
do wonders for seal performance. replacement has the risk of
[expensive] damage if the job is fouled up. besides, it makes more
logical sense to replace /all/ the seals if one were doing a job like
that, and that would involve transmission removal to access the main
seal. again, look to the quality oil solution first.
Old October 6th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
E Meyer

I would add one more task based on experience with our '96 Odyssey. While
you've got the valve cover off doing the cam belts, this is a good time to
adjust the valves. Also replace the valve cover & sparkplug tube gaskets,
which are probably flattened out, hardened and preparing to leak by now.

Old October 7th 06, 06:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Gordon McGrew

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 14:57:06 GMT, E Meyer > wrote:

>I would add one more task based on experience with our '96 Odyssey. While
>you've got the valve cover off doing the cam belts, this is a good time to
>adjust the valves. Also replace the valve cover & sparkplug tube gaskets,
>which are probably flattened out, hardened and preparing to leak by now.

Thanks everybody. I was already planning to do the valve adjustment
and the new gaskets sound like a good idea.

The thermostat was replaced about a year ago due to cold running.

Right on the Honda coolant - wouldn't use anything else.

I don't think there are any genuine Honda parts on the internet
anymore. Any idea what would be a good price in the US for these
parts?

Timing Belt
Balance Shaft Belt
Water Pump
Honda Coolant
Valve cover gasket set

Old October 7th 06, 03:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Elle

"Gordon McGrew" > wrote
> I don't think there are any genuine Honda parts on the
> internet
> anymore.

OEM Honda parts on the net:
www.slhondaparts.com (California)
www.hondaautomotiveparts.com (Rhode Island)
www.cheapesthondaparts.com (Colorado; monitor shipping
closely)

Old October 7th 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Gordon McGrew

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 14:45:24 GMT, "Elle"
> wrote:

>"Gordon McGrew" > wrote
>> I don't think there are any genuine Honda parts on the
>> internet
>> anymore.

>OEM Honda parts on the net:
>www.slhondaparts.com (California)
>www.hondaautomotiveparts.com (Rhode Island)
>www.cheapesthondaparts.com (Colorado; monitor shipping
>closely)

Thanks a lot! Ordered the parts from Majestic in RI and saved a
bunch.

Old October 7th 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Grumpy AuContraire[_2_]

Elle wrote:

> "Gordon McGrew" > wrote
> > I don't think there are any genuine Honda parts on the
> > internet
> > anymore.

> OEM Honda parts on the net:
> www.slhondaparts.com (California)
> www.hondaautomotiveparts.com (Rhode Island)
> www.cheapesthondaparts.com (Colorado; monitor shipping
> closely)

Elle,

I just went there to see if I can get the plastic windshield trim (fake
chrome) and it seems to not be on the list. I need three sets of this
stuff front and rear. The only thing that I could save was the
stainless corner clips. Kin youse take a looksee???..

TIA

JT
Old October 7th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Grumpy AuContraire[_2_]

Elle wrote:

> "Gordon McGrew" > wrote
> > I don't think there are any genuine Honda parts on the
> > internet
> > anymore.

> OEM Honda parts on the net:
> www.slhondaparts.com (California)
> www.hondaautomotiveparts.com (Rhode Island)
> www.cheapesthondaparts.com (Colorado; monitor shipping
> closely)

Oooops, that's for the '83 Honda Civic FE and my latest aquisition, an
'82 el cheapo 4 speed hatchback ($200)...

JT

Timing belt followup. B.B. Technology 6 April 2nd 06 06:39 AM
Toyota Tacoma timing belt change? [email protected] Technology 2 April 25th 05 09:45 PM
2001 change timing belt or not? Buying a Used Audi Audi 16 December 27th 04 05:02 PM
Timing Belt Change Simon Audi 10 August 26th 04 04:52 AM