Bad connection in headlamp electrical connector

Old October 6th 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected][_1_]

Default Bad connection in headlamp electrical connector

I have a 97 Accord (190K miles). 1/2 the nights my drivers side
headlamp goes out.
The bulb is fine. It seems to be the connector that clips on the bulb.
Jiggling the connector does nothing. However if I remove the connector
from the bulb and reconnect, the light works fine again (until enough
vibration or temperature change breaks the connection).
I sprayed the connector contacts a few times with contact cleaner,
letting it soak in.
No luck.
While I would like to replace the connector, a replacement including
the pig tail are on the pricey
side. And getting my hands in that tight space to splice a new
connector will be difficult at best.
Is there a type of conductive grease that I could try to fill in the
small gap that is forming inside the connection? Any other quick fix
ideas? Thanks

Old October 7th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda
Ralf Ballis

wrote:

> Any other quick fix
> ideas?

Maybe your get a change when you tighter the contacts by using a plies or
some thing.
Ones you clean it chemical so I think a grease doesn't help.

Important is to get booth sides of this connection clean ? on the bulb too.

Regards,

Ralf
--
www.omnibusclub.de
Erfinder des Abgasturboladers Dr. Alfred J. Büchi: "Die Abgase,
Old October 7th 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda
Mike Walsh

At a job I once had we used a conductive grease that was good for almost anywhere there was a problem getting a good connection. It came in a tube of about 15 ounces and was sold as high temperature grease. There was not anything on the package about it being conductive, but it was loaded with graphite and was a good conductor. I don't remember the name of the company that made it.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old October 7th 06, 06:18 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda
Scott Buchanan

Some times bulbs don't burn out but the filament breaks and makes
intermittent contact. I'd try a new bulb or swap with the other side to
test.

oups.com...

Old October 7th 06, 03:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda
'Curly Q. Links'

wrote:

> I have a 97 Accord (190K miles). 1/2 the nights my drivers side
> headlamp goes out.
> The bulb is fine. It seems to be the connector that clips on the bulb.
> Jiggling the connector does nothing. However if I remove the connector
> from the bulb and reconnect, the light works fine again (until enough
> vibration or temperature change breaks the connection).
> I sprayed the connector contacts a few times with contact cleaner,
> letting it soak in.
> No luck.
> While I would like to replace the connector, a replacement including
> the pig tail are on the pricey
> side. And getting my hands in that tight space to splice a new
> connector will be difficult at best.
> Is there a type of conductive grease that I could try to fill in the
> small gap that is forming inside the connection? Any other quick fix
> ideas? Thanks

-------------------------------------

It's a common problem because many of the Honda headlamp connectors have
two little triangles on them, and we're supposed to know that unless we
'pinch' the sucker on the triangles, it's not going to release the lamp.
Wiggling and yanking just messes up the tension in the brass lugs inside
the connector. Slip the plastic hood apart (draw a diagram first) then
use fine needle nose pliers to carefully scrunch the lugs tighter, then
reassemble.

If you're in Canada and have DRL, your problem may be WAY more
complicated (but you've probably screwed up your connectors anyway).

'Curly'