94 Astro AWD Spontaneously Breaks Torsion Bar?

Old February 28th 04, 07:10 PM
Jeff

Default 94 Astro AWD Spontaneously Breaks Torsion Bar?

I have a 1994 Astro AWD with the front suspension similar (if not
identical) to the 4WD Blazers, Sonomas, Jimmys and S-10s made that
year. I parked the vehical in my drive for about 3 months and went to
move it and found that the top of the left (driver side) tire was
rubbing real bad. The vehicle also had a weird "lean" to it. I put it
on blocks and checked it out and found that the left torsion bar was
completely loose! As if it was broken in half (which was obviously
not the case).

To make a long story short I followed the repair manual's instructions
to remove the bar (I have both Chiltons and Haynes) and could not get
the bar to come out - even through I would wiggle it with my hand
(loose as the proverbiale goose).

Questions:

1. Has anyone every heard of a small GM 4wd truck "spontaneously"
loosing the spring tension in a torsion bar like this?

2. How the hell am I supposed to get the thing out of the suspension?
Cut it in half?

As always any helpfull comments are appreciated.

Jeff Mitchell
Waterford, MI
Old March 1st 04, 05:50 PM
Matt Mead

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 22:26:31 -0400, Chris Phillipo
> wrote:

>Are you perhaps talking about the anti sway bar that is U-shaped and
>runs under the frame? Or are you actually talking about the metal rod
>that runs front to back and holds up the A-arm by twisting?

No, he's got it right, it is the torsion bar. (And it is broke.)

This is a pretty common problem on the 95 and earlier AWD Astro/Safari
vans.

To the original poster, check out the forum at www.astrosafari.com for
all of your Astro/Safari questions. For more about the torsion bars,
check out www.overlandvans.com. They offer an upgrade kit to the
newer, stronger bars.

Matt
99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4