Smoke from Engine

Old May 20th 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Default Smoke from Engine

Here is the issue:
Couple of days back the upper radiator hose in my 99 Accord (4 cyl,
2.3 L, 110K mi) cracked while driving and sprayed a lot of coolant
into the engine compartment. I changed the hose and topped off the
coolant and the ran the engine while in park - to make sure the
coolant spray on the engine burnt off. While doing all this, i also
noticed that the engine oil level was low (not sure why). I topped
that off as well with about 4 quarts of oil.

Now, when the engine is hot i see smoke coming from under the shield
covering the engine exhaust manifold. Not sure if it is the smoke from
the coolant burning off or due to a oil leak.

Any ideas? Could this smoke have something to do with an oil leak?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Old May 20th 07, 05:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Scrapper[_67_]

if your oil was that low i'd say valve cover you can tell by the smell
as oil smell is way different than coolant smell....

--
Scrapper
Scrapper's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=438443

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old May 20th 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Earle Horton[_19_]

Four quarts is a lot in a 4 cyl. automobile engine. You can hose off the
engine with a garden hose to get most of the oil and coolant off. This is
better than "burning it off". Just stay away from the distributor or put a
plastic bag over it. If you drove for a long distance with the engine hot
you could have blown a head gasket. Valve cover is also a possibility, and
with that mileage the valves need to be adjusted if they haven't been
already.

Cheers,

Earle

oups.com...

Old May 21st 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Thanks all.

The oil level did not even show on the dip stick before i refilled it.
Topped it off up to the upper hole on the dip stick.

Not sure why the oil level was so low. No oil puddle under the car.
The low oil pressure light (on the dash) never came on.

1988 Aries 2.5L Intermittent engine smoke jmcgill Chrysler 0 April 25th 06 07:04 PM
Cigarette smoke BAD - Automobile smoke GOOD laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE Driving 16 February 4th 06 06:06 PM
smoke from engine Tom Staresinic Technology 4 January 23rd 06 01:29 AM
HELP - smoke ! NC Alfa Romeo 6 October 26th 05 09:02 PM
Light engine Smoke.... HerdFsu VW air cooled 4 June 16th 05 12:00 AM