length of lower control arms

Old January 8th 07, 08:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.honda
z[_1_]

Default length of lower control arms

Speaking of lower rear control arms for a 92 civic sedan, does anybody
know which of the aftermarket replacements are stock length, and which
are shorter for camber improvement with lowered suspension?

Old January 9th 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.honda
jim beam

z wrote:
> Speaking of lower rear control arms for a 92 civic sedan, does anybody
> know which of the aftermarket replacements are stock length, and which
> are shorter for camber improvement with lowered suspension?

you use adjustable upper arms, not lower. readily available. if you
want the wheel track wider, use spacers on the hubs.
Old January 9th 07, 04:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.honda
jim beam

Unquestionably Confused wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>> Tegger wrote:
>>> jim beam > wrote in news:KI-
>>> :

>>> Which will quickly eat up the wheel bearings.
>>>

>> how is that?

> Just a wild guess but I imagine moving the weight to the outside of
> those bearing is going to play hell with them. The axle/bearing
> assembly is designed with the weight centered on the bearing surfaces.
> Move it in or out and you concentrate the weight (not to mention the
> forces inflicted on the wheel by uneven terrain) on the end of the axle.
> Bad ju ju!

ok, but:
1. the wheel is already offset from the center line of the bearing anyway.
2. normal spacers aren't going to make a lot of difference - unusual to
go much more than 10mm.
3. it's all relative. the op is lowering and presumably "racing".
bearings take a hit in this situation anyway. literally if the car is
lowered too much and the car's riding on the bump stops.
Old January 9th 07, 02:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.honda

"jim beam" > wrote in message > ok, but:
> 1. the wheel is already offset from the center line of the bearing anyway.
> 2. normal spacers aren't going to make a lot of difference - unusual to
> go much more than 10mm.
> 3. it's all relative. the op is lowering and presumably "racing".
> bearings take a hit in this situation anyway. literally if the car is
> lowered too much and the car's riding on the bump stops.

I have heard the explanation, whether myth or fact, that the use of spacers
will cause premature failure of bearings. Since the axle flange is always
out
past the centerplane of the bearing, like you, I dont think it matters too
much.

I tend to think this may be another garage legend, but wont stick my neck
out on it.

Old January 9th 07, 02:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.honda
anumber1

jim beam wrote:
> Unquestionably Confused wrote:
>
>> jim beam wrote:

>>> how is that?

>> Just a wild guess but I imagine moving the weight to the outside of
>> those bearing is going to play hell with them. The axle/bearing
>> assembly is designed with the weight centered on the bearing surfaces.
>> Move it in or out and you concentrate the weight (not to mention the
>> forces inflicted on the wheel by uneven terrain) on the end of the
>> axle. Bad ju ju!
>>

> ok, but:
> 1. the wheel is already offset from the center line of the bearing anyway.

A load that the bearing is designed to handle.

> 2. normal spacers aren't going to make a lot of difference - unusual to
> go much more than 10mm.

10mm that is going to move the load out, changing the designed fulcrum
of the original geometry, increasing the load on the bearing.

> 3. it's all relative. the op is lowering and presumably "racing".
> bearings take a hit in this situation anyway. literally if the car is
> lowered too much and the car's riding on the bump stops.

The point of a well designed aftermarket control arms is to keep the
suspension geometry correct in the areas that matter.

Bearing load and various wheel alignment tracking angles would be very
close to the original design.
Old January 9th 07, 03:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.honda
jim

anumber1 wrote:

> 10mm that is going to move the load out, changing the designed fulcrum
> of the original geometry, increasing the load on the bearing.

Well so is having fat aunt Martha sitting in the passenger seat, but it
is not likely to affect the life of the bearing in any measurable way.

-jim