Honda FIT Sport with paddle shifters

Old January 8th 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
alfred

Default Honda FIT Sport with paddle shifters

Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with the Honda FIT Paddle shifters on the
Sport? I was just wondering if they really shift like a semi automatic and
let you bring the car up to a high rpm in each gear before shifting or is it
more a gimick?

Also what is the basic driveability and performance with that car compared
to a Civic? The dealers in my area never seem to have one in stock so I
can't seem to find any here. I've seen them on the road and they look
narrower and smaller than the Civic. I'm just wondering about comfort and
driveability and handling etc?

If I was going to get one it would be the FIT Sport with auto, which I think
would be about $16,400.00. Or for $3,000.00 more I could get a Civic EX with
auto. I am also wondering if the FIT Sport is worth it for $3,000.00 less in
terms of value for what you get in a FIT Sport Auto vs. what you get in the
Civic EX Auto.

I know that mileage is almost identical...

Thanks,

Al

Old January 8th 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

alfred wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone have any experience with the Honda FIT Paddle shifters on the
> Sport? I was just wondering if they really shift like a semi automatic and
> let you bring the car up to a high rpm in each gear before shifting or is it
> more a gimick?

in this instance, since the transmission is really a cvt, it's a
gimmick. but it does give you convenient two-hands-on-the-wheel control
if you want it.

> Also what is the basic driveability and performance with that car compared
> to a Civic? The dealers in my area never seem to have one in stock so I
> can't seem to find any here. I've seen them on the road and they look
> narrower and smaller than the Civic. I'm just wondering about comfort and
> driveability and handling etc?

if you want real handling, you need a wishbone accord or a pre-2001
wishbone civic. or integra.

Old January 8th 07, 04:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

jim beam wrote:
> alfred wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Does anyone have any experience with the Honda FIT Paddle shifters on
>> the Sport? I was just wondering if they really shift like a semi
>> automatic and let you bring the car up to a high rpm in each gear
>> before shifting or is it more a gimick?

> in this instance, since the transmission is really a cvt, it's a
> gimmick. but it does give you convenient two-hands-on-the-wheel control
> if you want it.

i take that back - it's a 5-speed conventional honda transmission! the
fit was sold with a "7-speed" cvt transmission in other markets, but it
seems that for the u.s. market, traditional transmission is the way...

Old January 8th 07, 04:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Kevin McMurtrie

In article <Nqjoh.1493$GL.327@trndny06>, "alfred" >
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does anyone have any experience with the Honda FIT Paddle shifters on the
> Sport? I was just wondering if they really shift like a semi automatic and
> let you bring the car up to a high rpm in each gear before shifting or is it
> more a gimick?
>
> Also what is the basic driveability and performance with that car compared
> to a Civic? The dealers in my area never seem to have one in stock so I
> can't seem to find any here. I've seen them on the road and they look
> narrower and smaller than the Civic. I'm just wondering about comfort and
> driveability and handling etc?
>
> If I was going to get one it would be the FIT Sport with auto, which I think
> would be about $16,400.00. Or for $3,000.00 more I could get a Civic EX with
> auto. I am also wondering if the FIT Sport is worth it for $3,000.00 less in
> terms of value for what you get in a FIT Sport Auto vs. what you get in the
> Civic EX Auto.
>
> I know that mileage is almost identical...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Al

The paddles will let you shift manually as long as you stay within an
RPM range. You still have all of the inefficiencies of an automatic
transmission. Honda's more complex transmissions seem to get totally
confused by changes in throttle. At least you can skip one or two
seconds of the transmission being stupefied when you step on the gas.

German cars are starting to come out with a "DSG" transmission. It's a
hybrid of automatic and manual transmission design with stunning
performance. There's no mushiness from a torque converter and power
efficiency beats a manual.
Old January 8th 07, 05:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Gordon McGrew[_1_]

On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 20:10:15 -0800, jim beam
> wrote:

>alfred wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Does anyone have any experience with the Honda FIT Paddle shifters on the
>> Sport? I was just wondering if they really shift like a semi automatic and
>> let you bring the car up to a high rpm in each gear before shifting or is it
>> more a gimick?

>in this instance, since the transmission is really a cvt, it's a
>gimmick. but it does give you convenient two-hands-on-the-wheel control
>if you want it.

Actually it is a 5-speed AT. They wouldn't have much purpose if they
didn't let you take it up to redline before shifting.

http://automobiles.honda.com/models/...?ModelName=Fit

Consumer reports tested the base Fit with the same AT but no paddles.
It was 2.5 sec slower to 60 (12.4 vs. 9.9) and got 2 less mpg than the
manual. I doubt it is any faster with the paddles but it might be
more fun to drive than the regular AT.

>> Also what is the basic driveability and performance with that car compared
>> to a Civic? The dealers in my area never seem to have one in stock so I
>> can't seem to find any here. I've seen them on the road and they look
>> narrower and smaller than the Civic. I'm just wondering about comfort and
>> driveability and handling etc?

>if you want real handling, you need a wishbone accord or a pre-2001
>wishbone civic. or integra.

The Civic Si might not be bad. The Fit Sport does handle well also
but the Civic will be faster and more civilized. The Fit is the best
of all the new small cars.

>> If I was going to get one it would be the FIT Sport with auto, which I think
>> would be about $16,400.00. Or for $3,000.00 more I could get a Civic EX with
>> auto. I am also wondering if the FIT Sport is worth it for $3,000.00 less in
>> terms of value for what you get in a FIT Sport Auto vs. what you get in the
>> Civic EX Auto.
>>
>> I know that mileage is almost identical...

Is the $3K the difference in street price or MSRP. The Fit is
apparently in such short supply that you won't be able to deal on them
like you could on a Civic. It the MSRP is $3K higher, I bet you could
get the Civic for about $1000 more than you would pay for the FIT. If
that is the case I would say it is a no-brainer to get the Civic.

Old January 12th 07, 11:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
alfred

Okay thanks everyone. I guess at this point getting a Civic is a better
choice. I just wanted something more fun to drive without actually getting a
manual transmission. I wish the accord or civic would come out with a
sequential sport shifter. Even hyundai's have that!

Has anyone tried the Accord 4 cyl Manual and compared it to a Civic Manual?
I was wondering what the differences are in 0-60 and control?

Thanks,
Al

Old January 13th 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TomP[_1_]

jim beam wrote:

> jim beam wrote:
> > alfred wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Does anyone have any experience with the Honda FIT Paddle shifters on
> >> the Sport? I was just wondering if they really shift like a semi
> >> automatic and let you bring the car up to a high rpm in each gear
> >> before shifting or is it more a gimick?

> > in this instance, since the transmission is really a cvt, it's a
> > gimmick. but it does give you convenient two-hands-on-the-wheel control
> > if you want it.

> i take that back - it's a 5-speed conventional honda transmission! the
> fit was sold with a "7-speed" cvt transmission in other markets, but it
> seems that for the u.s. market, traditional transmission is the way...

Just so you know, there are no "speeds" in a Continuously Variable
Transmission.

--
Tp,

-------- __o
----- -\<. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )

No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

Old January 13th 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

TomP wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>
>> jim beam wrote:

>>> in this instance, since the transmission is really a cvt, it's a
>>> gimmick. but it does give you convenient two-hands-on-the-wheel control
>>> if you want it.

>> i take that back - it's a 5-speed conventional honda transmission! the
>> fit was sold with a "7-speed" cvt transmission in other markets, but it
>> seems that for the u.s. market, traditional transmission is the way...
>>

> Just so you know, there are no "speeds" in a Continuously Variable
> Transmission.

i know - that's why it's in quotes. the transmission control system is
however programmed to give the impression of seven discrete ratios -
somewhat stupid imo.
Old January 14th 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TomP[_1_]

jim beam wrote:

> the transmission control system is
> however programmed to give the impression of seven discrete ratios -

> somewhat stupid imo.

I agree IMO Honda spent way too much time trying to mask the characteristics of
the CVT trans. Rather they should have touted goodness of the design (such as
it is) and made it known that "this" is how they work and it's normal.

--
Tp,

-------- __o
----- -\<. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )

No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

Old January 14th 07, 04:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

TomP wrote:

> jim beam wrote:
>
>> the transmission control system is
>> however programmed to give the impression of seven discrete ratios -

>> somewhat stupid imo.

> I agree IMO Honda spent way too much time trying to mask the characteristics of
> the CVT trans. Rather they should have touted goodness of the design (such as
> it is) and made it known that "this" is how they work and it's normal.

couldn't agree more. trouble is, honda usa is infected with "detroit
marketing syndrome", hence red rear turn signals, ridgeline, no prelude,
no updated crx, rsx [integra successor] which is UTTER junk, no wagon
accord [or civic for that matter], mcpherson strut suspension,
anti-hatchback culture, etc. time was, honda used to lead, not follow.
now, not only do they follow, they're following the worst possible
examples.

need more? there was never any real plan to import the fit, but it
kinda-sorta turned into a necessity given that gas prices were high.
now, they find themselves completely unable to satisfy demand it's such
a success. honda usa marketing is /mind-blowingly/ out of touch.

</endrant>