Problems Programming Remote Transmitter for 1997 Honda CRV

Old January 12th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Default Problems Programming Remote Transmitter for 1997 Honda CRV

I am having problems programming the remote transmitters for my CRV. I
am following the instructions, but after completing all of the steps,
nothing happens. Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone else
had problems? According to everything I've read, it should be an easy
process, but it is not. Not sure what is wrong.

Old January 13th 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Here are the steps.. per the instructions I have:

1) Disarm security system (I don't have one so I didn't do that)
2) Turn the ignition key to the "ON" (II) position.
3) Press the "LOCK" or "UNLOCK" button on the remote control
transmitter.
4) Turn the ignition key to the "OFF" (0,I) position.
5) Turn the ignition key to the "ON (II) position.
6) Press the "LOCK" or "UNLOCK" button on the remote control
transmitter.
7) Turn the ignition key to the "OFF" (0,I) position.
8) Turn the ignition key to the "ON (II) position.
9) Press the "LOCK" or "UNLOCK" button on the remote control
transmitter.
10) Turn the ignition key to the "OFF" (0,I) position.
11) Turn the ignition key to the "ON (II) position.
12) Press the "LOCK" or "UNLOCK" button on the remote control
transmitter.

That was as far as I got because the instructions say after doing all
of that, the power door locks will cycle to indicate that the system is
in programming mode. They did not do that.

I tried these steps first by pressing the lock button. When that
didn't work, I tried the steps using the unlock button. Both ways
failed.
I tried turning the key from position II to position 0. When that
didn't work, I tried doing it from position II to I. Both ways failed.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

Old January 13th 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

wrote in
ups.com:

> Here are the steps.. per the instructions I have:
>
> 1) Disarm security system (I don't have one so I didn't do that)
> 2) Turn the ignition key to the "ON" (II) position.
> 3) Press the "LOCK" or "UNLOCK" button on the remote control
> transmitter.
> 4) Turn the ignition key to the "OFF" (0,I) position.
> 5) Turn the ignition key to the "ON (II) position.
> 6) Press the "LOCK" or "UNLOCK" button on the remote control
> transmitter.
> 7) Turn the ignition key to the "OFF" (0,I) position.
> 8) Turn the ignition key to the "ON (II) position.
> 9) Press the "LOCK" or "UNLOCK" button on the remote control
> transmitter.
> 10) Turn the ignition key to the "OFF" (0,I) position.
> 11) Turn the ignition key to the "ON (II) position.
> 12) Press the "LOCK" or "UNLOCK" button on the remote control
> transmitter.
>
> That was as far as I got because the instructions say after doing all
> of that, the power door locks will cycle to indicate that the system
> is in programming mode. They did not do that.

All your steps are correct. You must use the same transmitter for all
the steps.

However, are you performing the entire sequence within ten seconds?
Timing is critical here. If you exceed ten seconds at any point, the
system will assume a hack attempt and will exit programming mode.

Old January 13th 07, 05:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Yes, I did use the same transmitter for the entire sequence. Also I
completed all of the steps within 5 seconds. For some reason, it is
not working. Is this the only way to program the transmitters? Thanks
for your comments.

Old January 14th 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

wrote in
ps.com:

wrote:
>> > Yes, I did use the same transmitter for the entire sequence. Also
>> > I completed all of the steps within 5 seconds. For some reason, it
>> > is not working. Is this the only way to program the transmitters?
>> > Thanks for your comments.
>> >

>> ===================================
>>
>> If your ignition switch is 'buggy', the programming sequence wont'
>> work. Have you had the safety recall performed on that CR-V?
>>
>> 'Curly'

> I am not aware of a safety recall. Could you give me more details
> about that?
> Thanks.

Most likely your keyless entry problem is caused by a faulty
Door Lock Control Unit. This is covered under TSB 98-022.

As far as the ignition switch issue goes...

Almost all Honda models from '97 to '02 are covered.
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/crv/x02-031e.pdf
Two points:
1) This may not solve your problem
2) The work indicated may have already been performed.
It's worth checking out, though.

Note that this document is an Export Service Bulletin, not a Technical
Service Bulletin, so don't print it out and bring it to your dealer. When
you go there, instead simply refer to the document number (02-031) and what
it covers.