British traffic signal lights

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 24th 05, 02:53 AM
Pooh Bear

Dave wrote:

> Pooh Bear wrote:
>
> > You *are* kidding right ? It's the handbrake btw. It has no relationship
> > whatever to *emergencies*. It is used in normal driving and you'll fail your
> > driving test if you don't use it correctly.

> Mine is labelled as a parking brake, and I've never had to use mine
> except when my master cylander died in a 20 year old car.

Clearly you're not in the UK then. I was referring to the UK driving test. Pls pay
attention to the thread. It has *British* in it.

> > > and I used to live there for 28 years of my life and 11 was driving. Also
> > > most people do not really apply the emergency brake on a hill unless rather
> > > steep,

> > Utter nonsence !

> Do your normal brakes not work? I've taken my Honda Civic on almost
> any type of road (or not-a-road) that you can find, and never once have
> felt even the slightest urge to use my parking brake while moving.

You *never* use it whilst moving unless you want to perform a handbrake turn !

Read above. It's used when stationary especially on a hill !

> > > as we have nearly all master moving off the help by knowing when the
> > > clutch bite point.

> > How often do you have your clutch plate replaced doing that ? Holding a car on
> > the clutch on a hill for any length of time instead of applying the handbrake is
> > plain berserk.

> I have a slushbox. I take my foot off the gas going downhill, it goes
> the same speed I was going and my transmission feels brand new after
> 100,000 miles. Yeah, steep hills take a tiny bit of brakes, but even
> the steepest hills I find in the US never require my parking brake to
> get down.

You *never* use the parking / hand brake in motion ! Just the footbrake - the same as
you do.

> Hell, even with a pickup I never had to use my parking brake, even
> off-roading. The brakes worked great till Evans Tires ****ed them up.
> (Evans causing my truck to get totalled is another story though.)

Autoboxes aren't popular in Europe generally. I guess we like the more engaging and
sportier style of driving that a manual box gives. Manual transmissions don't wear out
either btw, in fact they're noted for longevity.

Btw, if you *never* use your parking brake how do you know it's still functional ? For
that time when you actually *do* need it.

Graham