Mystery valve help needed

Old February 13th 05, 07:43 PM
Miguel

Default Mystery valve help needed

My son's recently acquired '90 YJ (4 cylinder, 5-speed) has been
smelling of gasoline, and a little checking revealed a broken valve
tucked up inside the body behind the right rear wheel well. I have a
factory service manual and have studied it carefully but can't figure
out the purpose of this valve. It looks to be a check valve, on one
side there's a line going to the fuel tank and on the other side
there's a vacuum hose that runs up to the engine compartment. I
thought mabe it was a rollover valve but according to the manual those
are supposed to be attached the fuel tank.

What do I ask for when I go to the dealer to get a replacement?

Old February 13th 05, 10:24 PM
DougW

Miguel did pass the time by typing:
> My son's recently acquired '90 YJ (4 cylinder, 5-speed) has been
> smelling of gasoline, and a little checking revealed a broken valve
> tucked up inside the body behind the right rear wheel well. I have a
> factory service manual and have studied it carefully but can't figure
> out the purpose of this valve. It looks to be a check valve, on one
> side there's a line going to the fuel tank and on the other side
> there's a vacuum hose that runs up to the engine compartment. I
> thought mabe it was a rollover valve but according to the manual those
> are supposed to be attached the fuel tank.
>
> What do I ask for when I go to the dealer to get a replacement?

From what you describe that sounds like the line that vents the fuel
tank to the charcoal canister up front. It's a check valve that allows
fuel vapor to run up and get trapped in the canister. The vapors are
then sucked back into the intake when the engine starts.

Part of the emissions control stuff.

--
DougW

Old February 13th 05, 11:26 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Could be your gas tank roll-over check valve. Some attached to the
frame cross member just forward of the tank.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 14th 05, 03:11 PM
Mike Romain

I missed the original post, but that is a check valve for the emissions
canister. I have seen those leak fumes before.

I am not sure about the books for those things... The book for my CJ
shows the valve in line like yours, but mine 'is' on/in the tank and the
only YJ one I have seen was up under the wheel well like yours.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 14th 05, 08:34 PM
Jeff Strickland

Take the valve off and take it to the store with you. Drop it on the counter
and say, "I need one of these." The guy will disappear to the back of the
store for a few minutes, when he returns he will have a part. Make sure the
part looks like the one you brought into the store. Take the part home and
hook it up.

Have a beer and admire your repair.

Old February 14th 05, 08:45 PM
wallster

i want to go to that parts store! whenever i stop in for anything the
guy has to know the make, model, engine size, mothers maiden name and
shoe size before he can look up the wrong part on his computer.

wall

Old February 14th 05, 08:46 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

It's a Doohicky
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 14th 05, 09:17 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Number twenty would be the roll-over vent valve:
http://www.billhughes.com/YJfuelLines.pdf

Old February 14th 05, 10:06 PM
Jeff Strickland

As long as the doohicky they give you looks like the doohicky you carried
in, then all is well.

Old February 14th 05, 10:11 PM
Jeff Strickland

My parts guy at NAPA builds custom cars, when he see me coming, he knows the
book is at best a starting point. Amazingly, when I bring in the various
assorted doohickies - Bill's word - my parts guy usually knows what it is.
He needs the make and model just to confirm his suspicions.

My NAPA store is a Commerical Truck center, or some such thing. The guys in
there are better than your average parts guys. If they come out from the
back with the wrong part, they can normally cross reference whatever I
walked in with and I leave with a part that works.

ups.com...