Why doesn't Detroit make a car BUILT for low speeds

Old January 20th 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS

Default Why doesn't Detroit make a car BUILT for low speeds

A car with a speed limiter set at say 70 mph. Lots of people would love
that esp if they have teenage boys in the family. And I'm sure
insurance premiums would be a lot less too. To keep owners from
tampering with the limiter, the insurance companies could put a clause
in the policy saying that tampering would nullify the policy. And it
would also mean no lying cop could accuse you of doing 80 mph. That
would save you speeding fines and in the event of a fatal crash might
keep you out of jail.

Lots of benefits to speed limited cars and yet no car maker will build
one.!! Car crashes are big business and they don't want the gravy
train to end.

Old January 20th 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:<brevity snip/groups
adjusted>
> Lots of benefits to speed limited cars and yet no car maker will build
> one.!! Car crashes are big business and they don't want the gravy
> train to end.

Duh. All vehicles are "speed limited". A governor may be installed by
the owner to further limit speed, if they so desire.
-----

- gpsman

Old January 20th 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Dave[_4_]

"Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" > wrote in
message oups.com...
>A car with a speed limiter set at say 70 mph. Lots of people would love
> that esp if they have teenage boys in the family. And I'm sure
> insurance premiums would be a lot less too. To keep owners from
> tampering with the limiter, the insurance companies could put a clause
> in the policy saying that tampering would nullify the policy. And it
> would also mean no lying cop could accuse you of doing 80 mph. That
> would save you speeding fines and in the event of a fatal crash might
> keep you out of jail.
>
> Lots of benefits to speed limited cars and yet no car maker will build
> one.!!

There's plenty that are self-limiting to between 70 and 80. Check out the
chevy (daewoo?, I think) aveo. Good luck getting that sucker up to 85 if
you are headed downhill with the wind at your back. And there's the Kia Rio
and Hyundai Accent (same vehicle?). Scion (Toyota) xA is another good one,
if it's slow you are looking for.

I'm sure there are many models I missed, those are just the ones off the top
of my head.

They do make them. Only problem is, almost nobody will buy them. -Dave

Old January 20th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
MLOM

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
> A car with a speed limiter set at say 70 mph. Lots of people would love
> that esp if they have teenage boys in the family. And I'm sure
> insurance premiums would be a lot less too. To keep owners from
> tampering with the limiter, the insurance companies could put a clause
> in the policy saying that tampering would nullify the policy. And it
> would also mean no lying cop could accuse you of doing 80 mph. That
> would save you speeding fines and in the event of a fatal crash might
> keep you out of jail.
>
> Lots of benefits to speed limited cars and yet no car maker will build
> one.!! Car crashes are big business and they don't want the gravy
> train to end.

Actually there are speed limiters: the "redline" engine speed as
indicated on the models that have a tachometer. My vehicle redlines at
5000 rpm. I never have the rpm above 3000 as that would have me at 90
mph. Given the condition of most highways in Missouri, that speed is
NUTS! 2000 rpm gets me at 60 which is more reasonable on the 2-lane
roads.

Also, the higher the engine revs, the louder the noise. <lure> It
would be more of a distraction than a radio! </lure>

Old January 20th 07, 05:18 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Nate Nagel

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:

(crap)

They DO make cars built for low speeds. They are called "American
Cars." Try a German car and be amazed at the difference!

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old January 20th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
MLOM

Nate Nagel wrote:
> Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
>
> (crap)
>
> They DO make cars built for low speeds. They are called "American
> Cars." Try a German car and be amazed at the difference!
>
> nate
>
> --
> replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
> http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

You are not mistaking the highly-promoted rice burners for American
cars, are you? That would be understandable since so many rice burners
are assembled in the USA (Honda in Ohio as an example).

Old January 20th 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Speeders & Drunk Drivers are DEADLY PSYCHOPATHS

Nate Nagel wrote:
> Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
>
> (crap)
>
> They DO make cars built for low speeds. They are called "American
> Cars." Try a German car and be amazed at the difference!
>
> nate

Suit yourself but personally, i don't support nazis.

Old January 20th 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime

gpsman wrote:
> Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:<brevity snip/groups
> adjusted>
> > Lots of benefits to speed limited cars and yet no car maker will build
> > one.!! Car crashes are big business and they don't want the gravy
> > train to end.

> Duh. All vehicles are "speed limited". A governor may be installed by
> the owner to further limit speed, if they so desire.

You idiot. Name one car that comes from the factory with a limiter set
at 70 or less. It has to be factory installed to get the insurance and
legal benefits, you hatefilled nitwit.

Old January 20th 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Stephane Dumas

"Dave" > a écrit dans le message de news:
ws.net...

> There's plenty that are self-limiting to between 70 and 80. Check out the
> chevy (daewoo?, I think) aveo. Good luck getting that sucker up to 85 if
> you are headed downhill with the wind at your back. And there's the Kia
> Rio and Hyundai Accent (same vehicle?). Scion (Toyota) xA is another good
> one, if it's slow you are looking for.
>
> I'm sure there are many models I missed, those are just the ones off the
> top of my head.

others slow vehicules than I know Yugo and Lada if you still find one on the
road

> They do make them. Only problem is, almost nobody will buy them. -Dave

Stéphane Dumas

Old January 20th 07, 07:22 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.road,alt.law-enforcement.traffic,talk.politics.misc,alt.true-crime
Eeyore

Stephane Dumas wrote:

> "Dave" > a écrit
> >
> > There's plenty that are self-limiting to between 70 and 80. Check out the
> > chevy (daewoo?, I think) aveo. Good luck getting that sucker up to 85 if
> > you are headed downhill with the wind at your back. And there's the Kia
> > Rio and Hyundai Accent (same vehicle?). Scion (Toyota) xA is another good
> > one, if it's slow you are looking for.
> >
> > I'm sure there are many models I missed, those are just the ones off the
> > top of my head.

> others slow vehicules than I know Yugo and Lada if you still find one on the
> road

Neither are made any longer.

Graham