Best air filters?

Old May 29th 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
J J

Default Best air filters?

Millions of auto oil and air filters are sold every year. Why has there
been few if any independent tests done? Any theories or ideas?

Could it be that their performance is so similar that tests would only
prove they are pretty much the same?

Old May 30th 07, 12:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Broderick Crawford

Mike Walsh wrote:
> 20 years ago Fram made excellent filters. After a couple of corporate takeovers the quality vanished and they got a well deserved reputation for poor filters. I don't know about their quality now because I have not used any of there filters in over 10 years, since I had one of their oil filters that did not have any threads in it!!
>
> clifto wrote:
>> wrote:
>>> Purolator or NAPA. Avoid Fram.

>> Not that I disagree, but why?

Fram filters are just a good as others.
Old May 30th 07, 02:27 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

wrote:

>>>Not that I disagree, but why?

> Fram filters are just a good as others.

That's just as true as the statement "Ford cars are just as good as
Porsches."

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old May 30th 07, 03:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

Broderick Crawford > wrote in
:

> Mike Walsh wrote:
>> 20 years ago Fram made excellent filters. After a couple of corporate
>> takeovers the quality vanished and they got a well deserved
>> reputation for poor filters. I don't know about their quality now
>> because I have not used any of there filters in over 10 years, since
>> I had one of their oil filters that did not have any threads in it!!
>>
>> clifto wrote:
>>> Not that I disagree, but why?

> Fram filters are just a good as others.

Provided the FRAM filters are built to some automaker's exacting standards.
FRAM is OEM to Honda Canada and has been for at least 15 years. I buy all
the filters for my Integra at the local Honda dealer.

I wouldn't trust FRAM's own standards as far as I could throw them.

--
Tegger

Old May 30th 07, 05:37 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
clifto

wrote:

>> Fram filters are just a good as others.

> That's just as true as the statement "Ford cars are just as good as
> Porsches."

Now, now, he didn't specify which others. Maybe he meant K&N.

--
We can't possibly imprison 300 million Americans for not paying their
taxes, so let's grant all of them amnesty NOW!
Old May 30th 07, 01:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Madesio" > wrote in message

> >Who do you think makes the OEM filters?

> The OEM filters are generally produced by the same manufacturer as the
> genuine filters, the only real difference being the box that they come
> in and of course the price! On the other hand, aftermarket companies
> buy the rights to reproduce copies of their OEM/genuine counterparts,
> typically manufactured with the same machinery and materials but often
> not designed in the same manner, sometimes being inferior in feel and
> fitment. Occasionally some aftermarket companies may yield a filter
> that excels in build quality and performance.

Several companies (like Champion Laboratories and others) MAKE the
OEM filters for most car manufacturers. They also make the filters for a
number of "aftermarket"applications. Same filters in many cases.

If, by OEM, you mean you should go to a dealership to buy a relabeled
Champion filter, then step up and pay your money.

Old June 1st 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Madesio" > wrote in message
the same product you would acquire at lets say.. Napa or Carquest.

> >If, by OEM, you mean you should go to a dealership to buy a relabeled
> >Champion filter, then step up and pay your money.

> Parts purchased from a dealership would be considered *genuine*. OEM
> equipment on the other hand can be purchased from most parts supply
> stores.

In many cases, these parts are IDENTICAL to the parts you purchase from
a dealership, except for cosmetics. In some cases, aftermarket parts may be
better.

I cede the point that in some cases dealership parts are the only way to go.

Old June 1st 07, 02:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On May 29, 11:23 am, (J J) wrote:
> Millions of auto oil and air filters are sold every year. Why has there
> been few if any independent tests done? Any theories or ideas?
>
> Could it be that their performance is so similar that tests would only
> prove they are pretty much the same?

I think that the real truth is that most name brand filters probably
work reasonably well in most applications. However, I have no problem
stating my opinion that certain brands like Wix, Mann, Mahle,
Purolator etc. seem to be of *better* quality than others, such as
Fram (which has had known problems in certain applications.) When the
prices of all of them are so similar, there's really no reason not to
buy the better quality unit.

Now air filters are a lot simpler than oil filters (which is where my
opinions of brand quality really come from) so realistically, if an
air filter appears to be good, it probably is. I'll use Fram air
filters for convenience reasons where I wouldn't touch their oil
filters with a ten foot pole. However, given the choice, I'll grab
the Wix or Purolator box every time.

nate

Old June 1st 07, 02:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

On May 28, 1:18 am, (J J) wrote:
> Who makes the best air filters? Can you assume the quality of the air
> filter would be the same as their oil filters?

The best air filter in the world is one designed for your car, sold by
the car dealer that is replaced regularly.

Old June 1st 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
C. E. White[_1_]

"John S." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> The best air filter in the world is one designed for your car, sold
> by
> the car dealer that is replaced regularly.

I have read a couple of interesting article on large truck air
filters. The gist of the articles was that many truckers are wasting
money and actually causing more wear by replacing air filter too
often. Most trucks (and my farm tractors) have pressure sensors
designed to turn on a warning light when the air filter is
contaminated enough to reduce air flow by a set amount. Apparently
truckers tend to ignore this and change the filter more often (I know
I do on the tractors). The thinking is that a new clean air filter is
better than an old dirty one. It probably is from a flow standpoint,
but not from a filtration standpoint. "Dirty" filters can filter
better than new clean ones.

In the old days restrictive air filters could really screw up a
carburetor's balance and make an engine run very rich. For modern fuel
injected engines, this is not the case. If you are not at wide open
throttle, the throttle plate, not the air filter, will be the most
restrictive element in the intake. The engine management system won't
care that the filter is more restrictive and your fuel mileage won't
be affected. Depending on the design and contamination of the filter,
you might experience some power loss, but this will only be at wide
open throttle. How often do you drive around at WOT? I know I rarely
"floor" my accelerator.

http://www.randallpub.com/ccj/ccjinn...ntenance_1.htm
http://www.filtercouncil.org/techdata/tsbs/89-3R3.html
http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repa...ques126_0.html
http://www.visteon.com/utils/whitepa...05_01_1139.pdf
http://www.filtercouncil.org/techdata/tsbs/04-3.html
http://home.mindspring.com/~ed_white/id5.html

Ed

So what's wrong with the Airhog filters? was: Airhog filters almost free after Fram's rebate Don Byrer Technology 88 December 8th 06 05:59 AM
K & A Air Filters Armand Honda 7 March 15th 06 01:47 AM
K&N Air Filters NJ Vike Chrysler 20 September 10th 05 04:29 PM
Are cotton air-filters the only type of filters with good air-flow? socraticquest Technology 8 July 6th 05 09:50 PM
oil filters paul tofte VW water cooled 5 February 27th 05 02:06 PM